NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

Cmon man? No props for the JJ watt sized facial??

Is your fishing license updated Fredo? Go fish!!
Cmon man? No props for the JJ watt sized facial?? Originally Posted by Daddio
Dopey Dude, I only give "props" when you earn it! You're too damn worried that 27 vs 16 is gonna make your itty bitty winkie go "limp" for me to give you "props!"

While Dopey Dude is tryin' to unlimp his winkie the relief pitcher (Satin) will have invited your woman to his bullpen to see if she can catch his "heater."

Meanwhile, Dopey Dude almost hit the ball out of the park but instead is thrown out "limp"ing his way to first base!
Why can't Kareem Jackson have a season ending injury? Originally Posted by gnadfly
I can understand being frustrated with a Houston player who consistently makes mistakes. No doubt, Kareem Jackson has made his share of rookie and sophomore mistakes. I can also understand wishing a player would be "cut" from the team. But that is not what Turdfly said. He wants KJ to "have a season ending injury," knowing such injury might possibly threaten his football career and limit his employment prospects in the outside world.

WOW!!!!! I do not know of any other way to say it other than that is LOWER than whale shit! I personally would not wish that fate upon any player, much less one of our very own!!!!!

Considering Turdfly made the statement, it shouldn't surprise me!

So with all that said, I want to get the movement started- BLACKMON TO HOUSTON. Say it with me fellas! Originally Posted by Don91
I have watched Blackmon twice this year and he is a beast. If he is available when Houston picks at 25 or so (hopefully much higher), I am sure they will strongly consider drafting him. As well they should! I do not believe he will be available when Houston picks in the first round! I suspect, they will probably have to look elsewhere. Unless they are willing to give up a couple of very high draft choices in order to move up in the draft. I hope I am wrong but I do not think so! With that said, I would love to see Blackmon wearing a Texans uniform, lining up opposite Dre!

BT, you gotta be somewhat happy the Coogs pulled through and Case had a good game. Yea I know it wasn't the same as a "real" bowl game, but it's better than nothing right? Originally Posted by Satin
I was very pleased with the Coogs bowl game, either "real" or imagined! I thought they played extremely well against a quality opponent. They dominated the game from start to finish! Way to go Coogs! As for Case, the movement I want to get started is Keenum to Houston. I can see that Case might be available when we pick in the 3rd round. If so, we should strongly consider taking him! Working under Coach Kubes tutelage, I believe Case would make an excellent heir apparent to Schaub!
I have watched Blackmon twice this year and he is a beast. If he is available when Houston picks at 25 or so (hopefully much higher), I am sure they will strongly consider drafting him. As well they should! I do not believe he will be available when Houston picks in the first round! I suspect, they will probably have to look elsewhere. Unless they are willing to give up a couple of very high draft choices in order to move up in the draft. I hope I am wrong but I do not think so! With that said, I would love to see Blackmon wearing a Texans uniform, lining up opposite Dre! Originally Posted by bigtex
He will be a top 10 pick, no doubt. I don't believe the Texans have ever traded up to get anyone, but just like the Falcons did with Julio last year. we will have to give up A LOT to get him, I think for a player of his caliber it will be worth it.

So, I shaved yesterday, and I'm growing my first ever TEXANS PLAYOFF BEARD. I've had a strong history of playoff beards' in the past. Here is a breakdown of how I've done with THE BEARD:

2006: Became a Mavs fan in 2005, grew out the beard during the 2006 playoffs- they reached the finals but lost.

2011: After 4 years of high school, I was finally allowed to grow out a beard again. In 2006 I was in middle school, where they did not care about the shaving policy. The only chance I had of growing a beard was in the summer (June-August). And the Mavericks for FOUR straight years kept losing in the playoffs in the first or second rounds' which meant they lost around May, so I couldn't grow out the beard. But with my first year of college, THE FULL TIME BEARD WAS BACK BITCHES, AND IT WORKED, MAVS WON THE CHAMPIONSHIP.

So I'm 1-1 overall. But I consider both times a success given the fact they reached the finals, which is a tough task in it of itself.

FEAR THE BEARD

WOW!!!!! I do not know of any other way to say it other than that is LOWER than whale shit! I personally would not wish that fate upon any player, much less one of our very own!!!!! Originally Posted by bintex
Who lit the fuse on your tampon bintex?

Daddio has you figured correctly...you're a dumbshit with no sense of humor despite the number of smilicons you put in your posts.
Daddio has you figured correctly...you're a dumbshit with no sense of humor despite the number of smilicons you put in your posts. Originally Posted by gnadfly
Welcome home Turdfly. Pull up a chair and stay awhile. We need someone else to beat on around here!

All you have to do is throw Turdy a line and he will take the stink bait every time! Then ya reel him in!
It's as easy as 1,2,3!

Meanwhile, I have been saving these for Turdy! Enjoy!------>
He will be a top 10 pick, no doubt. I don't believe the Texans have ever traded up to get anyone, but just like the Falcons did with Julio last year. we will have to give up A LOT to get him, I think for a player of his caliber it will be worth it. Originally Posted by Don91
I would be shocked if the Texans gave up "A LOT" to move up in the 2012 NFL draft. That is not the way Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak (with McNair's blessing) have operated in the past. The clearly have a blueprint and they rarely deviate from the script. I doubt seriously they are going to change their method of operation at this stage of the game. As for Blackmon I would love to see him wearing a Texans uniform but I don't see it happening in 2012. The only way I see us having a chance at Blackmon would be if he were to fall to the late teens or early twenties. I can see the Texans trying to move up five or six spots but not giving up what it would take to move into the Top 10.

I believe the Texans will use this years first round draft choice to take the best WR available, provided one is available that has a first round grade. I do not believe they will reach for a WR with their first pick. If they do not have a 1st round grade on any of the WR's I can see them taking a stud Road Grader (NT) or possibly another CB with the first pick and then a WR with the #2. I personally would not mind them taking WR's with all of their late round picks. Hopefully, one would end up paying huge dividends!

I am hopeful that Andre, Schaub and Foster will each have a healthy and prosperous 2012 NFL season. If so, we should have one of the elite teams in the NFL next season. We were almost there this year and then Schaub got hurt! As an added bonus, Case roaming the Texans sideline in 2012 would be really, really sweet!
  • Satin
  • 01-05-2012, 07:53 AM
I would love to see Case come to the Texans as well. Since I don't closely follow College Football like you boys do...could someone explain to me how a prolific passer like Case barely gets any love and Luck is viewed as the second coming of Peyton Manning, Joe Montana and Tom Brady rolled into one? I mean damn, the guy broke every passing record known to man.

Yea I get it that he plays in an inferior conference....but if he can throw, he can throw right? Is Luck THAT much better? How?

Well Andy Dalton has the flu. Will he be able to shake it off? I'm happy Briesel, Joseph, Andre, Daniels and others are getting healthy and practicing. The Rook took his full reps as well. Looking good....

Ok BT & Gnadfly, do I need to give you boys a time-out?
Theres my boy Satin, what up?? Where have you been hiding? Or Where have you been hiding the Salami?

Blackmon would be great but he is the 5th best guy on some draft boards, he won't be available for us. He is damn good, I still question his speed a little but would love to have him line up opposite Andre next season.

I get sick and tired of the Luck love fest by ESPN, it is almost as sickening as the Tebow teabagging they do non stop. I like Tebow but was turned off by the non stop coverage when he had his winning streak going, fuck it was like he was the only guy playing on Sundays for a while. Glad they lost. I hope he beats the fucking Steelers tho this week.

Luck looked great the other night, his ability to still make plays while under a good pass rush was impressive. The Weeden kid looked fucking good too although he is not as good under pressure, his O line is great and he hardly got touched all season. He has a gun and threw for more yards and hardly got mentioned because of the Luck Love.

Case is a wizard with the ball and I wouldnt mind him showing up at the Texans camp at all. I hope he slips to the 5th or 6th round so we can snag him and have him compete with Schaub for the backup role behind TJ next year. Suck it Fredo!! Has anybody seen a projection where Case will be drafted? I guess it boils down to Case's size, He is not real tall and not real thick. He can move well and has great pocket awareness although he didn't look great against Southern Miss when pressured.
I would love to see Case come to the Texans as well. Since I don't closely follow College Football like you boys do...could someone explain to me how a prolific passer like Case barely gets any love and Luck is viewed as the second coming of Peyton Manning, Joe Montana and Tom Brady rolled into one? I mean damn, the guy broke every passing record known to man. Originally Posted by Satin
Case is considered by the pro scouts to be a "System QB." In layman's terms, that means you could plug just about any good, upper level university qb with an above average arm into the UH offensive system and be fairly successful. Kevin Kolb was the product of a similar system. Unfortunately, Kolb has not performed that well at the pro level. I have watched them both extensively at the collegiate level. From my perspective, KK looks more like a pro qb in terms of size, arm strength and throwing motion.

I personally believe that they were both equally adept at reading defenses at the collegiate leve but I feel Case is the more accurate passer. CK has a very nice "touch pass" on short to intermediate routes to go along with sufficient arm strength to throw an accurate deep pass to the corner of the end zone! KK went in the second round of the NFL draft to Philly. Partially due to KK's lack of success at the pro level, I don't look for CK to go in the first couple of rounds!

Can Case take it to the next level? Who knows? If I were guessing, CK will probably not go in the first 2 1/2-3 rounds of the NFL draft. Beyond that, I believe he is worth a try! As it relates to where CK will go in the draft, it is hard to say at this point in time. Once he has worked out at next months Indy Combine we will have a much clearer picture.

I realize I am prejudiced but I would like to see Case on the Texans sidelines next season. I am also a realist and just because he has been very successful at UH does not translate into him being successful at the next level. I would like to see Coach Kubes have the opportunity to work with him and see if he can develop but there are probably other teams that will be looking closely at him, as well! Wherever he goes, I wish him the best. He and KK are both a credit to UH and I am proud of all of their accomplishments!

Ok BT & Gnadfly, do I need to give you boys a time-out? Originally Posted by Satin
Nah, it's harmless! He calls me bintex, I call him Turdfly! We have a very long history that extends back to the early days of the P.

There is no reason to call a "time out." He normally takes care of that when he puts me on ignore. It doesn't keep me from throwing my jabs, he will just not be as aware of it! LMAO

At the end of the day, I consider Turdy to be a pretty damn good punching bag!

Besides that, Turdy absolutely loves my smilies!
I have watched Case play and practice in college......I watched Luck play and practice in high school.........Case looks more like Luck did as a Senior in high school than he does like Luck now. At every level of QB developement, Luck is levels above Case.......just my opinion.
Here is the bottom line with the QB issue. This logic will probably sound like batshit, but it is true. If you're not at least 6'3 or 6'4, you will not be expected to progress in the NFL. Kellen Moore, Case Keenum, and Russel Willson are all 6'1 or shorter. And with the size of the defensive lineman, if you can throw at a high trajectory, you're kind of Fucked. Brees and Vick are pretty much the only exceptions in the league currently of short guys at QBs that can succeed.

Landry Jones, Ryan Tannehill, Nick Foles, and Andrew Luck all have great size, so they pretty much get favored by all the NFL scouts over the guys mentioned, even though they might not be as smart or as good as them. Robert Griffin is undersized as well, but since he won the Heisman, his stock is up.
Case is a wizard with the ball and I wouldnt mind him showing up at the Texans camp at all. I hope he slips to the 5th or 6th round so we can snag him and have him compete with Schaub for the backup role behind TJ next year. Originally Posted by Daddio
Apparently, Dopey Dude talks a good game but when it is time to put up or shut up, he will cut and run. A few weeks ago, I offered the Dopey Dude an opportunity to put his money where his mouth is. In spite of the fact that he boldly predicted that T.J. would be the 2012 Texans starter, he countered by saying he must have at least 3 to 1 and possibly 5 to 1 odds to make the bet. Apparently Dopey Dude is not very confident in Yates' ability to win the 2012 starters job coming out of training camp! I remain willing to put my money where my mouth is. I will put my $100 against Dopey Dudes $100 that barring injury, Schaub (not T.J.) will be the Texans starter for the first game of the 2012 NFL season.

I remain willing to allow a neutral third party (Satin or dearhunter, Dopey Dude can choose) to hold the $200 until the winner is determined! Damn, it just dawned on me that I offered to let Satin or dh hold the money. That wasn't very smart on my part! The SC king will stuff the $200 into a strippers g string before the night is over. DH will invest the $200 in a questionable Ponzi Scheme negotiated at the local Taco Bell!

Oh well, the offer still stands! Put up or STFU Dopey Dude!

Luck is levels above Case.......just my opinion. Originally Posted by dearhunter
I agree with dh! As a result Luck will be selected in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft and Case will be a mid-round pick!
Luck Schmuck! ... is anyone else paying attention to the Free Agent market?? There will be many TESTED UFA's@ QB position floating around this off season... Drew Brees, Matt Flynn (who just threw for 480yrds vs a stout Detroit D w/ Rogers in his ear calling the plays), Alex Smith, and V. Young to name a few... Also, P. Manning could possibly be in the mix as the Colts may be undergoing a complete overhaul.. Getting rid of papa smurf for some picks and trades could help them prepare for the future if they want to hold the division strong with the Texans... That's right!... I said it!!.. Smurfs will now have to scout Texans to build their team instead of the usual vice versa.. Gotta Love it!! Luck will probably go 1st but I think as a sign and trade...The Smurfs have a lot more issues than just @ QB... Hell, I can see this thread going all the way till next Sept... With no hint of another lock out, this off season will be epic!..

But enough of that, TEXANS still have GAMES TO PLAY

Here is a mix of good and bad going into Reliant for Sat.. and my take on some of U fellers' comments..

Daddio, I hate to say it, but BT has a point about the score board. Texans have not been looking too sharp on Offense as of late. This is what has been throwing the team of kilter. I remember posting before that we are the most well-balanced team in the NFL, but I can no longer say that. Our passing game has taken a big blow.... I WANT TJ to be better than Schaub, but thus far, he hasn't been.. I was watching a replay of the game vs Cincy, and TJ made some stand-out bad reads... However, there is still hope and I have a lot of faith that the rook will turn it around in The Battle of the Rooks rd 2 .. Hence, the Andre the Great!

BT, a few things....

The lacking offense is not just a direct result of Schaub's absence, sure it may have something to do with it, but its mainly due to poor execution on 3rd down... From what I've seen through watching the game and reviewing game tape afterwards, poor rushing attempts on 1st and 2nd have been leading to 3rd and longs that force TJ to throw on 3rd when opposing team knows its coming... Although we have been racking up yrds on the ground, its mainly because its been coming in BIG CHUNKS.. The key to our offense while we were stacking W's was in the element of surprise. In order for our system to work, the QB(no matter who it is) must be unpredictable. Kubes offense is designed to make every play look the same, but other teams have been able to sniff out the run/pass plays. And I agree bout the D being a gassed in the 4th. Its nearly impossible to go all out on Defense when your on the field most of the game. IMHO, the key to us moving deep in the playoffs lies with the O-Line. If they get back to their mid-season from, it will allow TJ to slice them and Foster to dice them! Your not alone on thinking Schaub is the better QB so far. However, Kubes trusting the rook over 2 vets speaks volumes. BTW TJ's completion % thus far is 61.2% and Schaubs was 61%. However Schaub went out with a QB Rating of 96.8 (better than Eli & #6 in the league) and TJ's rating stands @ 80.7.

And for a Prediction: 17-30 Texans!!!

Keys to the W: Dre vs Pac-Man... who wins matchup?? AJ Green vs Jonathan Joseph... who wins match-up? #2 Defense vs #20 Offense.. who wins match up?? #13 Offense vs #7 Defense... wins mach-up?? Battle of the Rooks Round 2 with 1 of the rook QBs unable to communicate thanks to screaming fans,,,, match-up?? Remember this post??.. It pretty much looks the same... Well, here I vote ALL THINGS TEXANS... hehehe

I honestly think 2nd round @ Baltimore posts a better match-up as we are mirror images. Both w/ great D and Run game, both uncertain @ QB position... Bal has more experience & home field, but Texans have youth, hunger and a less predictable D!...Also, Foster will be looking to right his wrongs from his last trip... yes that L still kills me as we should have won that game!! Not to overlook Cincy, but just sayin!

Anyone else rooting for another home game for AFC CHAMPIONSHIP?? according to my little bracket, I have PIT (#5) beating NE (#1) sending PIT to reliant to face HOU (#3) sending us to SB... pathetic?? We'll see about that... hehehe

Well, w/ some fellers looking down with a PLAYOFF GAME THIS WEEK,,, I'm hittin hard this post and hopefully U fellers will come back around

Some good articles:

12 Reasons the Texans will Beat the Bengals

Expect Greatness from Andre Johnson on Saturday

Don't Think, Just Enjoy, Texans Fans

Former NFL Great (Sapp) Says Saturday Time Slot Shows Lack of Respect for Texans

Texans' Phillips believes teams should want him as head coach (but also states he is not interested..)

Bengals vs Texans: Why Arian Foster, Ben Tate Must Come Up Huge for Houston

And some Audio!!

BAL Safety (former TXN) Pollard: Texans Will Beat Bengals on Saturday

Vonta Leach: “I’m Pulling For The Texans”

Stumbling Into The playoffs? No Problem For The Texans

Computers Predict A Texans Playoff Victory..hehehe... Now where is that Psychic Octopus that predicted so many World Cup games??

YATES, KUBIAK AND PHILLIPS ON READINESS FOR BENGALS

And some video:

NFL Playoff Predictions: 5 Reasons the Texans Beat the Bengals

Week 18: Bengals vs. Texans Preview

Best of Offensive Line Confidential - Texans

Ryans says Phillips pushed Texans over hump

No Huddle: Rookie shootout

Will T.J. Yates lead Texans to win?

Commish, i am not necessarily saying Luck will go to Indy. There will be a lot of variables play out prior to and following the 2012 NFL Draft. We may not know the final result until a few days after. I suspect that Luck will end up in Indy but if a desperate team offers Indy a Mike Ditka type deal, who knows where this thing will end up! If I were Indy's GM, would I trade the rights to Luck for another teams entire 2012 draft? I wouldn't hesitate!

As for your point about Kubes trusting Yates over the 2 NFL veterans. T.J. has been around the entire year and is more familiar with the system than either of the two veterans. I was encouraged with Jake's performance on Sunday but he did not win me over completely. As I said a few days ago, it was 6 of one and half a dozen of the other! I trust Kubes judgement to put the qb on the field that will give the Texans the best chance of winning on Saturday. That's all that matters! I am ok with T.J. or Jake on Saturday! Kubes has made his choice and I am not going to 2nd guess it! Truth be known, I am not much for being a Monday morning Quarterback! It is easy to 2nd guess after the fact, not nearly as easy during the heat of battle!

Now for your point on poor rushing attempts on 1st and 2nd down. Why has our offensive performance on first and second down gone south all of the sudden? Dopey Dude says it is due to Kubiak's conservative play calling. That might be a factor but I suspect it is more because opposing defenses are stacking the box to stop our running game. Opposing defenses are not as concerned about T.J.'s ability to read defenses and change the previously called play at the line of scrimmage. The ability to read defenses comes from experience and T.J. is not at Schaub's level. Perhaps he will be someday but he is not there yet! Neither will he be in the near future!

As for your point about the offense needs to execute better on third down. I agree, but the bottom line: The offense executed much better on third down when Schaub was the starter than it has since Yates has taken over. Draw your own conclusions! I do agree with your point about the offensive line. We certainly need better performance from them but in their defense. They are limited when opposing defenses put 7-8 in the box in order to stop our running game! If our qb is unable to make that read and check off at the line of scrimmage, there is not much the offensive line can do. It is 5 or 6 offensive linemen in the trenches against 7 or 8 defensive players in the box! Do the math!

At the end of the day, it is not as much about execution on third down as it is about points scored. At present, we are only scoring 16-17 points per game. Prior to T.J. we were averaging over 27. The numbers tell no lies! I am not saying that 3rd down execution is not important but in the grand scheme of things, each team is judged in the history books primarily by three main factors (in order): (1) First and foremost, Super Bowl victories. (2) Having enough wins to make it to the playoffs (3) scoring enough points vs points allowed to get the necessary number of wins. 3rd down execution is further down the list!

Bottom line: If we don't increase our point total significantly, we will not go very far in the 2012 NFL Playoffs! With the Texans defense, we will win a large percentage of the games if our offense is controlling the clock and scoring 27 points per game. We will not win nearly as many games if our opponent is controlling the clock and our offense is only averaging 17 ppg.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!