Please Don’t Thank Me for My Service

• WTF
  • 02-25-2015, 08:24 AM

WTF does any of that have to do with being sincere when expressing appreciation to a soldier? Originally Posted by boardman
The article had nothing to do with sincerity.
The article had nothing to do with sincerity. Originally Posted by WTF
It had more to do with sincerity than that blathering about Mexican's and fruit and shit...ijs
Just a question presented to everyone. If we sent a reporter out on a typical American Street, (as in the Jaywalking segments or the more recent Watersworld), and asked random citizens to name the two principle Countries were we have been at war for the past 15 years, how many could name Iraq and Afganistan? Originally Posted by Jackie S
50%?

We'd have to send a reporter to find out.
  • WTF
  • 02-25-2015, 08:36 AM
Just a question presented to everyone. If we sent a reporter out on a typical American Street, (as in the Jaywalking segments or the more recent Watersworld), and asked random citizens to name the two principle Countries were we have been at war for the past 15 years, how many could name Iraq and Afganistan? Originally Posted by Jackie S
Exactly Jackie. Which was sort of the point of the article. Most Americans total ignorance of the true cost of War or anything related about it. Any sacrifice that they had truly made vs combat soldiers. Which in most Americans case is zero.

Uneducated people concerning the true cost of War , coming up and thanking a soldier about something they know very little about should be offensive to combat soldiers. That is your duty as citizens to inform yourself on the nature and true cost of War. One would hope soldiers would want informed citizenry sending them off to war. I do not think that is wtf we have and I think that was the point of the article.
Many people, it turns out. Mike Freedman, a Green Beret, calls it the “thank you for your service phenomenon.” To some recent vets — by no stretch all of them — the thanks comes across as shallow, disconnected, a reflexive offering from people who, while meaning well, have no clue what soldiers did over there or what motivated them to go, and who would never have gone themselves nor sent their own sons and daughters.

If boardman wants some well meaning , uninformed twat patting a soldier on the head and thanking him for something that he would not send his kid over to do well , different strokes for different folks.
  • WTF
  • 02-25-2015, 08:41 AM
50%?

We'd have to send a reporter to find out. Originally Posted by boardman
be way less and I'd be willing to bet big money.
Exactly Jackie. Which was sort of the point of the article. Most Americans total ignorance of the true cost of War or anything related about it. Any sacrifice that they had truly made vs combat soldiers. Which in most Americans case is zero.

Uneducated people concerning the true cost of War , coming up and thanking a soldier about something they know very little about should be offensive to combat soldiers. That is your duty as citizens to inform yourself on the nature and true cost of War. One would hope soldiers would want informed citizenry sending them off to war. I do not think that is wtf we have and I think that was the point of the article.
Many people, it turns out. Mike Freedman, a Green Beret, calls it the “thank you for your service phenomenon.” To some recent vets — by no stretch all of them — the thanks comes across as shallow, disconnected, a reflexive offering from people who, while meaning well, have no clue what soldiers did over there or what motivated them to go, and who would never have gone themselves nor sent their own sons and daughters.

If boardman wants some well meaning , uninformed twat patting a soldier on the head and thanking him for something that he would not send his kid over to do well , different strokes for different folks. Originally Posted by WTF

You don't think that is what we have but you don't know!
You are making an assumption that those who thank a soldier don't know the costs.

Tell me where I said I want some well meaning but uneducated twat to pat a soldier on the head. That's a condescending remark and you are a twat for making it.

What I said is...Thank them if you feel grateful. Ignore them if you feel apathetic.

Whichever you you do, do it with sincerity in your heart and don't judge what is in other people's motives for doing or not doing the same thing.

Who the fuck are you to tell someone else whether they should or shouldn't be grateful, what an appropriate level of gratefulness is or how they should express it? You've just fallen to an all time low suggesting that you can.

Here's what I think...That author is a dipshit loser and he found a bitter soldier who was willing to bitch and complain so he could get his name in an article. If you think that represents the majority of the American fighting force I feel sorry for you.
That author is a dipshit loser and he found a bitter soldier who was willing to bitch and complain so he could get his name in an article. If you think that represents the majority of the American fighting force I feel sorry for you. Originally Posted by boardman
And the dipshit loser author found a dipshit loser blogger to do his bidding on Eccie!
  • WTF
  • 02-25-2015, 10:23 AM

Here's what I think...That author is a dipshit loser and he found a bitter soldier who was willing to bitch and complain so he could get his name in an article. If you think that represents the majority of the American fighting force I feel sorry for you. Originally Posted by boardman
If you think the majority of Combat Soldiers want you or any other person patting them on the head thanking them for their service, I don't give a shit how sincere you are, I feel sorry for you.

They'd rather be bought a drink/meal or offered your upgraded seat or some other actual goods. Show your appreciation with something besides words.

Be like telling your wife how much you appreciate her after spending a thousand bucks on a hooker!

So what to say to a vet? Maybe promise to vote next time, Mr. Freedman said, or offer a scholarship or job (as, he said, some places have stepped up and done). Stand up for what’s right, suggested Mr. O’Brien. Give $100 to a vet, Ben Fountain, author of the “Billy Lynn” book, half-joked, saying it would at least show some sacrifice on the thanker’s part.
Mr. Garth appreciates thanks from someone who makes an effort to invest in the relationship and experience.

They'd rather be bought a drink/meal or offered your upgraded seat or some other actual goods. Show your appreciation with something besides words.

You don't know that any more than I do. I would submit that some would be uncomfortable being offered something of value and would appreciate a sincere thank you instead. Who made you the spokesperson for the entire military anyway?

So what to say to a vet? Maybe promise to vote next time, Mr. Freedman said, or offer a scholarship or job (as, he said, some places have stepped up and done). Stand up for what’s right, suggested Mr. O’Brien. Give $100 to a vet, Ben Fountain, author of the “Billy Lynn” book, half-joked, saying it would at least show some sacrifice on the thanker’s part.
Mr. Garth appreciates thanks from someone who makes an effort to invest in the relationship and experience.
Originally Posted by WTF
So $100 is the price of gratefulness. What a fucking idiot!

Like I said before, this is way too PC.
  • WTF
  • 02-25-2015, 10:40 AM
So $100 is the price of gratefulness. What a fucking idiot!

. Originally Posted by boardman
So that is what you took out of that?

It would help if you would not Cherry Pick each and every paragraph to fit your POV.

Give $100 to a vet, Ben Fountain, author of the “Billy Lynn” book,half-joked, saying it would at least show some sacrifice on the thanker’s part.
  • WTF
  • 02-25-2015, 10:43 AM
And the dipshit loser author found a dipshit loser blogger to do his bidding on Eccie! Originally Posted by LexusLover
So now we are bloggers!

So to carry it out...the dipshit loser author found a dipshit loser blogger and a dipshit loser to counterpoint his story to do his bidding on Eccie

See LexusLiar , we are all dipshit loser here on eccie , just like we are all racist, ageist sexist! Some are just to ignorant to acknowledge it.
  • DSK
  • 02-25-2015, 11:54 AM
So now we are bloggers!

So to carry it out...the dipshit loser author found a dipshit loser blogger and a dipshit loser to counterpoint his story to do his bidding on Eccie

See LexusLiar , we are all dipshit loser here on eccie , just like we are all racist, ageist sexist! Some are just to ignorant to acknowledge it. Originally Posted by WTF
So, if I do not acknowledge I'm an ageist, sexist, racist dipshit loser, then I'm also ignorant and still have those objectionable traits?
Tough situation to find myself in....
  • WTF
  • 02-25-2015, 12:31 PM
So, if I do not acknowledge I'm an ageist, sexist, racist dipshit loser, then I'm also ignorant and still have those objectionable traits?
Tough situation to find myself in.... Originally Posted by DSK
Life can be a bitch at times DSK

It would help if you would not Cherry Pick each and every paragraph to fit your POV.

. Originally Posted by WTF
Says the cunty bitch of cherry picking...
So now we are bloggers! Originally Posted by WTF
No. You are a dipshit loser blogger. Who just happens also to be a racist.

Now you feel guilty about your lack of service to the country, ....

... so you want everyone else to be like you. Guilty.

BTW ...

.. didn't you tell me I had shit in my pants in my prior response to your bullshit?

I was wondering why you did say the same to Boardman? You don't need to answer!

:
Originally Posted by LexusLover:
"Why the fuck do you "feel" you have any special knowledge or right to LECTURE me about how I respond to others based on one fucking article you cut and paste on a hooker board....you little twerp? Or how you "feel" I should respond. You some kind of an expert on "human relations" or something?
Response Posted by WTF:
I'm not lecturing you. I'm just telling you that according to the article some soldiers do not appreciate you chicken hawks coming up and thanking them for their service while having not sacrificed anything other than that.

Were you to shit your panties and not know it would you accuse someone of lecturing you when all they did was inform you that you had shit your pants?. That was all i was doing. You should be thanking me! Keep shitting them if you want.
Did you soil yours?