Texas the curve continues to rise

I'm guessing you didn't actually comprehend what I wrote. My "moving too soon" was in regards to reopening the state. Given the fact that "well the number of cases each day has plateaud"... is due just as much to a lack of available tests to anything.....

How does one claim that the number of cases has "peaked" or hit a "plateau" when you cannot just walk into your doctors office and ask to be tested? My 19 year old (doesn't live with me) literally had all the symptoms and was told that since he was low risk, they wouldn't test him and just to "assume he has it" and stay home for 2 weeks.

When you don't or won't test.. its easy to show whatever you want the numbers to be. Harris County cooked the numbers for the first few weeks until nurses started snitching them out for it.

Yes.. we need to reopen the economy and we need to do it soon-- but we also need to at the very least, have an abundance of testing available as we are doing it. Cases are going to spike within 3 weeks of reopening things.. because people are dumb. Originally Posted by Grace Preston
Healthy 19 year olds are virtually immune and I hope he is OK.

The silver lining in not having enough tests in Texas is that very few people are dying anyway, and we likely have numerous people who got it and recovered.

Building up the herd immunity so we can all go back to cavorting with working girls at will is the goal, and we are headed that way!
Healthy 19 year olds are virtually immune and I hope he is OK.

The silver lining in not having enough tests in Texas is that very few people are dying anyway, and we likely have numerous people who got it and recovered.

Building up the herd immunity so we can all go back to cavorting with working girls at will is the goal, and we are headed that way! Originally Posted by friendly fred

I have a friend with a 12 year old in ICU... virtually immune is a myth. They just don't end up in the ICU that often.
I have a friend with a 12 year old in ICU... virtually immune is a myth. They just don't end up in the ICU that often. Originally Posted by Grace Preston

Does he have an underlying health issues that's not discovered?

the virus is opportunistic and attacks weak defenses.
Does he have an underlying health issues that's not discovered?

the virus is opportunistic and attacks weak defenses. Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm

That's an oversimplification. There are many disorders that would make a person more susceptible to a bad outcome-- and even a few disorders that make a person much more likely to have few, if any symptoms.

The particular 12 year old in question is female. No co-morbidities. She was healthy, normal weight, no asthma, no blood disorders (its assumed the reason it ran rampant in Italy is due to their much higher than normal numbers of Thalessemia patients), no diabetes... nothing that would indicate her to be "at risk". Like so many others, she went from being about as sick as you'd typically expect a flu patient to be, then crashing the next day.
That's an oversimplification. There are many disorders that would make a person more susceptible to a bad outcome-- and even a few disorders that make a person much more likely to have few, if any symptoms.

The particular 12 year old in question is female. No co-morbidities. She was healthy, normal weight, no asthma, no blood disorders (its assumed the reason it ran rampant in Italy is due to their much higher than normal numbers of Thalessemia patients), no diabetes... nothing that would indicate her to be "at risk". Like so many others, she went from being about as sick as you'd typically expect a flu patient to be, then crashing the next day. Originally Posted by Grace Preston
Yes it is somewhat of an oversimplification, but statistically is still largely holding true.

And while tragic, at 12 years old she has probably had basic physicals and rudimentary blood work if that. Vaccines, well visits, etc. If she has had more than that, then there was some underlying condition they were already looking for.

As was stated though, the Wuhan Virus appears to exploit underlying, possibly undiagnosed conditions of the immune system or other functions. And I'm sure there are the what appear to be rare cases where there was nothing underlying, but again that's the minority at this point.
I have a friend with a 12 year old in ICU... virtually immune is a myth. They just don't end up in the ICU that often. Originally Posted by Grace Preston
Virtually in this case was being used as a synonym for "almost always" like virtually every youth is immune, but not every last one.

Kind of like saying all old white men are angry at their loss of status in America. Yssup Rider is happy about it, but the rest of us are justifiably resentful.
  • oeb11
  • 04-20-2020, 06:36 PM

The particular 12 year old in question is female. No co-morbidities. She was healthy, normal weight, no asthma, no blood disorders (its assumed the reason it ran rampant in Italy is due to their much higher than normal numbers of Thalessemia patients), no diabetes... nothing that would indicate her to be "at risk". Like so many others, she went from being about as sick as you'd typically expect a flu patient to be, then crashing the next day. Originally Posted by Grace Preston

Smoking is an "at risk" co-morbidity - particularly among older , long term smokers with chronic lung disease. The penetrance of smokinig in Italy is higher than the US.

You and your friend and her 12 year old have my Prayers for a full recovery!
Chart of demographic breakdown is Texas continues to show extremely low mortality for youth. Click the "fatality demographics" tab at the bottom.

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...01e8b9cafc8b83