Which QB should the Texans Draft with the 1st Pick

Who says you need to draft a QB #1 overall, let alone Round 1

Of the QB's left in the playoffs...

Peyton - #1 overall
Kaepernick - #36 Rd 2
Wilson - #75 Rd 3
Brady - #199 Rd 6

Kind of ironic too that Seattle (1) & San Fran (5) both have Def's that finished in the Top 5 this year with young QB's while the two future HOF QB's Def's were 19th (Den) and 26th (NE) respectively

One more thing...Peyton was the only one NOT drafted by a MLB team coming out Originally Posted by DickEmDown
Manning was the only one drafted in the first round.
  • ackvt
  • 01-14-2014, 05:07 PM
One draft pick isn't going to make the Texans season great next year. We need to develop the QB's we have, but Schuab needs to go. The smart play is to trade for several picks, try to get a couple picks later in the first round and get quality players who can be developed. Even the second round will have good options.
2013 Super Bowl winning QB - Drafted in first round.
2012 Super Bowl winning QB - Drafted in first round
2011 Super Bowl winning QB - Drafted in first round

More often than not the Super Bowl winning QB was drafted in the first round.

Here is Gil Brandt's thoughts on Clowney

What I've seen from Clowney has not impressed me as much as it has impressed most others. I'm not just referring to this year, either.

I went back and watched tape of all of Clowney's games in his first two seasons. As a freshman, he had 18 tackles and eight sacks, but he also was held without a sack in eight games. He also had two really good players with him on the defensive line that often demanded double-teams -- Melvin Ingram, who went on to be drafted in the first round in 2012, and Devin Taylor, a fourth-round pick the following year. This obviously gave Clowney a chance to be better.

As a sophomore, teams concentrated more on stopping Clowney, but he improved, totaling 40 tackles and 13.5 sacks. Most observers point to his game against Michigan in the Outback Bowl, in which he made his infamous play on Wolverines RB Vincent Smith, but if you analyze his performance play for play, he did not dominate the game. He played OK, but that one hit swayed the perception of his game and his status as a prospect in general.

When I evaluate a defensive end, I want him to not only have quickness getting off the ball but also compete to the end of every play. I want to see him fighting until the whistle blows. To me, it doesn't look like Clowney put in the necessary work over the summer to be in top shape. Through the five games Clowney has played in this season, he has not shown the intensity or the consistent effort needed to play a physically demanding position. I think that's an issue. Most people don't realize how physically hard it is to rush the passer. You have to be in really good shape because you're exerting so much energy while an offensive lineman is more or less absorbing you. That's why defensive linemen are substituted in waves while offensive linemen stay in the game. It's a very, very hard job.

Going on this season's performance, right now I view Clowney more as a top-10 pick rather than the top pick, and if I had to draft today I would take UCLA linebacker Anthony Barr over him. I didn't think that way before the season, but I have seen more consistency from Barr in terms of effort, and it is clear that Barr was better prepared and more ready to play than Clowney.
Bleacher Reports most recent mock draft now has Bortles going to the Texans. First time that it wasn't Bridgewater.
2013 Super Bowl winning QB - Drafted in first round.
2012 Super Bowl winning QB - Drafted in first round
2011 Super Bowl winning QB - Drafted in first round

More often than not the Super Bowl winning QB was drafted in the first round. Originally Posted by BigLouie
True, however...

Here are a list of QB's taken in the first round since 2000.

SB "starters" are in BOLD RED. The only ones I see making it that haven't made it are Luck...and maybe Cutler or Newton

2013 Manuel 16,
2012 Luck 1, Griffin 2, Tannehill 8, Weeden 22
2011 Newton 1, Locker 8, Gabbert 10, Ponder 12
2010 Bradford 1, Tebow 25
2009 Stafford 1, Sanchez 5, Freeman 17
2008 Ryan 3, Flacco 18
2007 J.Russell 1, Quinn 22
2006 Young 3, Leinhart 10, Cutler 11
2005 A. Smith 1, Rodgers 24, J. Campbell 25
2004 E. Manning 1, Rivers 4, Roethlisberger 11, Losman 22
2003 Palmer 1, Leftwich 7, Boeller 19, Grossman 22
2002 Carr 1, Harrington 3, P.Ramsey 32
2001 Vick 1,
2000 Pennignton 18,

The names above that make you say "Where are they now" greatly outweigh the names of "SuperBowl QB's/Future HOF's"...

My point being, QB's drafted in the first round, especially with the first pick have been more "MISS" than "HIT" lately.

Once again, there are no Andrew Luck's in this draft. If the Texans do decide to draft a QB, my thoughts are they should roll the dice with Manziel rather than Bridgewater or Bortles
Stop trying to compare andrew luck rg3 with the quarterbacks coming out that kind of draft class come every 10 to 20 years. Every draft is different
Once again, there are no Andrew Luck's in this draft. Originally Posted by DickEmDown
I would take that a step further and say that Andrew Luck was the highest rated Quarterback 'prospect' to come out of college since Peyton Manning. That does not mean that I feel Luck is a better qb today than Brees, Brady and/or Rodgers, just that he was rated higher coming out of college.

And I personally believe that DED is correct in saying, "there are no Andrew Luck's in this draft."
  • ness
  • 01-15-2014, 05:37 AM
I would take that a step further and say that Andrew Luck was the highest rated Quarterback 'prospect' to come out of college since John Elway. Originally Posted by bigtex
FTFY
All I'm saying kids is "IF" you're going to spend the #1 overall pick on a "Franchise QB", he should be someone that every team covets...

The three QB's that get talked about the most probably would be #'s 3-5 if they came out with Luck and RGIII
They are gonna trade there #1 pick to Cleveland for their 4th, 26th, and 36th picks.
Yeah right that would be dumb Clevelands in good position to get anybody at the 4 pick
Why would Cleveland do that? They can get what they need by staying right where they are.
Me thincks OFS was Fucking with you fella's
True, however...

Here are a list of QB's taken in the first round since 2000.

SB "starters" are in BOLD RED. The only ones I see making it that haven't made it are Luck...and maybe Cutler or Newton

2013 Manuel 16,
2012 Luck 1, Griffin 2, Tannehill 8, Weeden 22
2011 Newton 1, Locker 8, Gabbert 10, Ponder 12
2010 Bradford 1, Tebow 25
2009 Stafford 1, Sanchez 5, Freeman 17
2008 Ryan 3, Flacco 18
2007 J.Russell 1, Quinn 22
2006 Young 3, Leinhart 10, Cutler 11
2005 A. Smith 1, Rodgers 24, J. Campbell 25
2004 E. Manning 1, Rivers 4, Roethlisberger 11, Losman 22
2003 Palmer 1, Leftwich 7, Boeller 19, Grossman 22
2002 Carr 1, Harrington 3, P.Ramsey 32
2001 Vick 1,
2000 Pennignton 18,

The names above that make you say "Where are they now" greatly outweigh the names of "SuperBowl QB's/Future HOF's"...

My point being, QB's drafted in the first round, especially with the first pick have been more "MISS" than "HIT" lately.

Once again, there are no Andrew Luck's in this draft. If the Texans do decide to draft a QB, my thoughts are they should roll the dice with Manziel rather than Bridgewater or Bortles Originally Posted by DickEmDown
Actually, several scouts have Bridgewater rated ahead of Lucks rating when he was drafted. Bridgewater runs a true pro offense and had the responsibility to make pre snap reads and opt out of a plays. He made only 3 pre snap mistakes this year. But physically, he's no Luck, and Luck is no slouch in the smarts dept. But I agree with you that the top 4 QBs aren't worth the number 1 overall unless you're desperate. Bill Polian says each has they're deficiencies and are mid 1st to second round picks. I still think if the price is right, the Texans will trade out. If they pick a QB, it will be Bortles. He fits OBriens view of a Pro QB most. JFF has no chance to go there.
Gil Brandt and Mel Kiper both came out today with Manziel going #1