Okay, lets really talk about the latest airliner to go down.

LL the thing with the standard phone system is the telephone in your house is stationary. Originally Posted by tucson
More and more LE dispatch centers are having available triangulation and gps data regarding cell phones. The purpose of providing the requested data to the call center is to provide them instant screen data when the number registers at the call center monitor. The value of inter-agency cooperation among various elements of the LE community is sharing resources and data. The increasing number of task forces with a Federal resource component makes available to the local agencies assets not previously available.

FYI: Bill Clinton signed the first executive order in 1993 regarding chips in cell phones, in an attempt to make it mandatory for tracking purposes. The technology has been available for some time. In those days mobile phones were not as prevalent as they are now....and not as sophisticated. BTW: Clinton subsequently rescinded the order after some discussions with manufacturers, who were to be required to install them.

Today, LE can turn on my cell phone and listen to and watch.
  • WTF
  • 01-04-2015, 08:45 AM
is since 90% of the U.S. fleet already HAS IT INSTALLED, there would be no "cost" to "mandate" to those airlines ... . Originally Posted by LexusLover
Did you ever look up the cost to install it? Was it free? ...or was it close to 70-100k like what was reported? If it wasn't free do you think low cost carriers in Asia will install it?
More and more LE dispatch centers are having available triangulation and gps data regarding cell phones. . Originally Posted by LexusLover
Please tell us how that has anything to do with planes missing over vast stretches of water.
Back on subject I am concerned that no one has detected the ping from the black boxes. They now have located four large pieces of the aircraft but no pings. Originally Posted by tucson
Possibly because it is miles away?

I read somewhere that the black boxes are in the tail section on the type of Airbus plane that crashed.

If the plane broke up in the air, it is possible the tail section came down miles away from other parts of the fuselage.

I don't know. Just speculating.
If the plane broke up in the air, .....
I don't know. Just speculating. Originally Posted by ExNYer
Two items: At least one passenger recovered had on a life jacket (it was reported), which indicates there was time to put on a life jacket, ...

and a report this morning stated four large sections were found in close proximity to one another,

.....which was taken to mean the plane broke up on impact with the water.

They are in about 100 feet of water, which is relatively easy for divers, and apparently the remaining bodies are "grouped" together with the fuselage sections (seat belts on). At that depth with the divers they have it should not take long .... and the "boxes" will probably be first to come up.....but I bet we don't hear they came up first!!!
Did you ever look up the cost to install it? Was it free? ...or was it close to 70-100k like what was reported? If it wasn't free do you think low cost carriers in Asia will install it? Originally Posted by WTF
Are you still struggling to be relevant?

You must be a hoot at the golf course looking for balls in the rough! Your explanation must be riveting to anyone giving a shit.
Seriously?

iPhones don't communicate with satellites. Neither do any other type of cell phone. They can passively receive a GPS signal from a satellite, but that is it. If conventional cell phones tried to transmit via satellites, the batteries would last about 5 minutes.

All two-way communications by cell phones are with terrestrial cell towers (or WiFi access points). There aren't any of those in the middle of the Java Sea.

There are some satellite phones in existence - like the Iridium, but they are toys of the rich. They are big and clunky due to the battery size and bandwidth is limited and expensive.

https://www.iridium.com/products/Iri...ctCategoryID=1

When was the last time you saw someone carrying a phone like that? Originally Posted by ExNYer
so not even the plane can use satellites? they can't figure out where it was before it vanished?
You are suggesting I can't use a Iphone without cellular or Wifi signal? right?
1st off:I thought nowadays planes had WI-fi available? they do on southwest...so someone could have tracked them and seen where someone was before they "vanished"

oh well
From LL

(More and more LE dispatch centers are having available triangulation and gps data regarding cell phones. The purpose of providing the requested data to the call center is to provide them instant screen data when the number registers at the call center monitor. The value of inter-agency cooperation among various elements of the LE community is sharing resources and data. The increasing number of task forces with a Federal resource component makes available to the local agencies assets not previously available. )

When you have a phone installed in your home the phone company advises the 911 system of the location.Triangulation will get with in 100-200 yards. The GPS will be as close as 3 feet. With the GPS chip installed in to all phones the 911 call center could locate you that close. Cell phones while on your person have no permanent location so the GPS is needed in all of the 911 centers. With in a little time home phones will go the way of the dial phone. My concern is the money has been collected to modernize the centers but because it props up the general tax fund they are reluctant to spend it.
Perhaps(probably) the government has the ability to spy on our private lives by listening or looking through our cell phones. If you are concerned tape over your mike and camera lens. I for one figure they would be bored to death with me. I quit worrying about black helicopters a while ago.

The report of a passenger wearing a life vest was incorrect. Finding 4 large sections close together leads me to believe it broke up on contact with the water. I guess we will just have wait and see what comes out. I am worried that there has been no pinging from the black box. If the tail section broke off mid air then the black boxes could be some distance away but still the pinging should have been detected.
  • WTF
  • 01-04-2015, 01:17 PM
Are you still struggling to be relevant?

[/B][/SIZE] Originally Posted by LexusLover
I wasn't the one who implied that fitting a plane to to be tracked over vast ocean's was as easy as installing an app on your phone. Your relevance was lost right about after posting that stupidity. And you can't seem to answer if airlines need more regulations or not. Simple question. Is a yes no question to difficult for you?
Triangulation will get with in 100-200 yards. The GPS will be as close as 3 feet. Originally Posted by tucson
Close enough for locating downed passenger airliner.

That's what this was about.

They will recover the data from the aircraft. If they don't already have it.

Hopefully, they know a lot more than is being leaked to the media.

The Government's capacity has never been an issue (at least in my mind), the issues have been whether they will use it and for what purpose.
The water is shallow so surface noises (other ships, wind, currents) cause noises that the pings might be getting lost in.
The water is shallow so surface noises (other ships, wind, currents) cause noises that the pings might be getting lost in. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Naaaahhhhh. The ping is a ping is a ping. There's only one like it.

I've heard a knife off a tank in pretty noisy environments at some distance.

"We" don't know they (or "we") have not picked up on the ping.

Hopefully there were some lessons learned from the Malaysian news disaster.
  • WTF
  • 01-04-2015, 03:16 PM
Jesus can you boys show some fucking patience?

As tucson said , you will know wtf happened in the next six months or so.

Maybe by then LexusLover will have installed gps on all the planes from his cell phone apps!
Below is a link to better understand the black box.

http://aviation.stackexchange.com/qu...x-to-detect-it
Close enough for locating downed passenger airliner.

That's what this was about.

They will recover the data from the aircraft. If they don't already have it.

Hopefully, they know a lot more than is being leaked to the media.

The Government's capacity has never been an issue (at least in my mind), the issues have been whether they will use it and for what purpose. Originally Posted by LexusLover
WHICH government, LLIdiot? Are you implying that this is somehow the United States government is involved in suppressing information on this Indonesian search effort?
I wasn't the one who implied that fitting a plane to to be tracked over vast ocean's was as easy as installing an app on your phone. Originally Posted by WTF
I didn't either dumbshit. For some reason (lack of intelligence apparently) the only way you can remotely participate in a discussion is attempt to modify what others post in order to appear "relevant" in the conversation. Sad, but true.

Let me very clear: I said repeatedly the hardware and software exits. You claimed it cost $100,000 ..... to install "tracking" ... I said bullshit.

I'm not going to re-argue in order to modify the discussion. You are full of shit!

Now that you have discovered 90% of the U.S. fleet has gps tracking and services provide INTERNATIONAL real time data collection ... you want to change what I posted and change what you posted. ...... Give it up!

Now, please go find some more illegal aliens to work for you. They need jobs.