NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

Schaub played the entire 16 game schedule in both in the 2009 and the 2010 seasons. He started the first 10 games of the 2011 season. When Schaub went down with a broken foot, he had started 42+ consecutive games for the Texans.

42+ consecutive starts sounds pretty healthy to me!

The following stats are based upon the 10 games that Schaub played in 2011 vs. the 8 games T.J. played in.

Schaub completed 178 out of 292 thrown for 2479 yards = 247.9 yards per game.
Yates completed 110 out of 189 thrown for 1292 yards = 161.5 yards per game.

Schaub averaged 8.6 yards for each pass thrown and 13.9 yards per pass completion.
Yates averaged 6.8 yards for each pass thrown and 11.7 yards per pass completion.

Schaub had a qb rating of 96.8%
Yates had a qb rating of 79.7%

Schaub threw 15 TD passes = 1.5 td passes per game
Yates threw 4 TD passes = .5 td passes per game

Schaub threw 6 interceptions = 1 pick for every 48.7 passes thrown.
Yates threw 6 interceptions = 1 pick for every 31.5 passes thrown.

Schaub was sacked 15 times and lost 3 fumbles.
Yates was sacked 17 times and lost 5 fumbles.

Schaub ran the ball 15 times for 9 yards and scored 2 td's rushing.
Yates ran the ball 16 times for 54 yards and scored 0 td's rushing.

In the 10 games Schaub played in, the Texans record was 7-3.
In the 8 games Yates played in, the Texans record was 4-4.

In the 10 games Schaub played in the Texans averaged 27.3 ppg.
In the 8 games Yates played in the Texans averaged 19 ppg.

The stats don't lie, draw your own conclusions! Originally Posted by bigtex
Damn BT, you can't post stats like these without including instructions on how to print. Now there's an argument!

I said before that I'd be open to QB controversy but TJ's playoff rating of 53.8 kind of closes the case. I believe Schaub is the better option next year. However in no way am I shutting the door on TJ.

Since Leinart is a free agent, we could either sign him or pick up a #3. I believe TJ will now be the #2. Despite having a bad game vs. Ravens, he has made immense progress and proved himself as being a valuable asset.

2012 SCHAUB's TIME TO SHINE???

-With our core group we are no longer just looking for playoffs, we are looking for a SB berth.

-BT is not alone, I've heard many fans and media say that if Schaub was healthy we'd still be playing right now. 2012 will be the year for him to PROVE IT!

-2012 is the last year of SCHAUB's contract!! Many players really step up in their contract year.

-If Schaub does not have a break-out season, I could easily see TJ starting in 2013 and Schaub signing elsewhere via Free Agency...

-If Texans give Schaub a contract extension this off-season, they aren't thinking of TJ as starting material. If they don't, consider TJ possibly starting 2013. At least, that's the way I see it.

So for the time being, Schaub it is, unless a miracle happens and we get an elite. As for the debate, in my mind, its to be continued for 2013. Sign him? Trade him? TJ TJ TJ? We'll see.
Schaub could be the next Drew Brees by signing with another team
Damn BT, you can't post stats like these without including instructions on how to print. Now there's an argument! Originally Posted by One-Eyed Willy
I merely tried to present the facts in a clear and concise manner. It was Matt Schaub who made the "argument." At the end of the day, Schaub's value to the Texans was evident in the first 10 games of this year. His value was accentuated further by the Texans lackluster offense during the final 8 games.

I suspect MOST of our posters already knew how one sided the stats would be. Special emphasis on "MOST!" As for Dopey Dude Daddio, I am not certain whether or not he will fall in the "MOST" category.

Perhaps Dopey Dude will let us know soon!
  • Satin
  • 01-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Damn, you two boys just won't give it a rest...will you? Reminds me of myself and my younger brother.....

BT, I appreciate you letting me come knock off a couple more of your Austin honeys yesterday......good chilling with you....That fucking Jo-Jo was hot
When she told me she was not a player, I couldn't resist...

I can't believe the Superbowl is so far away, there's 2 teams playing I don't give a fuck about. Boring ass baseball is getting ready to start, and my Lakers are falling apart. Man, what next?
BT, I appreciate you letting me come knock off a couple more of your Austin honeys yesterday......good chilling with you....That fucking Jo-Jo was hot
When she told me she was not a player, I couldn't resist. Originally Posted by Satin
Enjoyed it too Bro! Now that you are leaving town maybe Jo-Jo will pay some attention to the rest of us. She is as sizzlin' hot as they come!!!!!
BigTalk, to recap your posts, blah blah blah blah blah. Bottom line is winning not stats. Figures lie and liars figure like Bigtalk. I suspect with Schaub(aka Dopey) at the helm next year we will struggle against any quality team. Name one quality team we have beaten while Schaub is QBing?

I will admit that he has shown signs of improving over the years but I have watched every game he has played and been at damn near every home game he has played and can tell you, he has been and I suspect will continue to be a weak link when the chips are down. He hasn't led us to the playoffs, fact. He has 0 playoff wins, fact. He has 0 playoff experience, fact. Name one quality team he has beaten? I am sick of your fantasy land projections of Dopey leading us to the Super Bowl, bottom line is he didn't and he hasnt we all know that to be the FACT!!

With all that being said, I am still a Schaub fan, and a huge Texan fan so I hope he does do it but I am skeptical because of past performances and I have seen them all!!!

Where was that place in Austin, I will be there next weekend and might have some time to slip out and slip in. I might even be able to find time to smoke a peace pipe with BigTalk, Freddo, BigDouche whatever his name is.
I will admit that he has shown signs of improving over the years but I have watched every game he has played and been at damn near every home game he has played and can tell you, he has been and I suspect will continue to be a weak link when the chips are down. He hasn't led us to the playoffs, fact. He has 0 playoff wins, fact. He has 0 playoff experience, fact. Name one quality team he has beaten? I am sick of your fantasy land projections of Dopey leading us to the Super Bowl, bottom line is he didn't and he hasnt we all know that to be the FACT!!

Originally Posted by Daddio
Honestly, I don't think the inexperience is a factor. Aaron Rodgers only needed one playoff loss before having one of the best post-season runs in history (Not trying to compare Schaub to Rodgers in any way...) But still.

And I think the Texans under Schaub have essentially played "playoff" type games. And I believe that they have lost them all, which can actually be a sign of a good thing.

I thought last year our games against the Jets and Revens were playoff like, two years ago in the last game of the season we had NE at home and were able to beat them, which almost earned us a playoff spot. And this year under Schaub, the Saints and Ravens(Regular season) game felt like a playoff game. I'm pretty sure Schaub and the rest of the offense went into all of these games with that kind of mindset that you need to have when you are in the playoffs.

Just my two cents.
  • Satin
  • 01-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Well it's Sunday fellas....

Did anyone catch the Sports 610 discussion (or chronicle column) on Peyton coming to Houston? It looks like he will be leaving the Horseshoe and there's actually a way to make it work under the salary cap for him to come here. (involves Mario & Dopey's contract) Personally, I don't see it happening, but I guess we can dream right? There is also the neck injury to worry about. But again, there is no guarantee our QB is gonna fully recover or not get re-injured again either.

Well, I guess today I can start watching my #1 favorite sport (NBA) but I will avoid the stupid Pro Bowl at all costs....

Come on Rick Smith, earn your money man.....
Absolutely NO way Manning is coming to Houston. First the Colts will work to get some value for Manning and second they will make sure he goes to a NFC team and not a AFC team and especially one in their own division. Second the dollars just don't work no matter what those hacks on the Chron say and yes I mean Jerome, the biggest Skip Bayless style no talent HACK. That column was just a troll column of which he has been posting a lot of lately.

With all the changes in the AFC South it is now down to the Texans and Titans and the Titans just have too many issues in important positions.

Right now even with Schaub I see the Texans as one of the top 2 teams along with New England. Steelers totally fell apart in last game and look really old and vulnerable. Ravens could easily Reed and Lewis and may take a step back. If the Texans draft a good WR, maybe 2 then I see them as either a #1 or #2 seed next year.
I suspect with Schaub(aka Dopey) at the helm next year we will struggle against any quality team. Name one quality team we have beaten while Schaub is QBing?

He hasn't led us to the playoffs, fact. He has 0 playoff wins, fact. He has 0 playoff experience, fact. Name one quality team he has beaten? Originally Posted by Daddio
You want facts, the only time last year that Schaub, Foster and Johnson played together and healthy was the first half of the Steelers game. In that game the team flat out beat them up and drove at will on them. Name one quality team? Steelers. Also the last time the team played New England with all three playing, they beat them.

He won enough games to get the team in contention for a play-off. If his foot had not been broken he would have lead the team to a play-off. Note that until that point Matt had played 2.5 years with ZERO injuries. The last time he was out was in mid 2008.

How good is this team. Even with a third string QB making rookie mistakes, with 2 minutes left in the play off game the team was only 7 points behind and on the 40 yard line. If it has not been for Jacoby's mistake the game would have been tied at that point.

Team wins and Schaub wins next year. This is the most balanced team in the ENTIRE NFL.
But the Colts are on the hook March 3rd for 29 million to Peyton and that is not knowing if he can pass a physical. Its looking good that they will release him. Where he goes, or prefers to go, and for how much is unknown.
I believe Peyton Manning to be the best quarterback that ever played the game. He may be well enough to return to football in 2012 but if so I have a hard time believing it will be for the Houston Texans. BL is correct, Indy will do everything within their power to keep him away from a division rival. I did not read the article by Jerome Soloman but I feel quite certain it involved a vivid imagination on the author's part.

Would a healthy P. Manning be a 2012 upgrade over Schaub. You bet! (Maybe not in 2013) Rodgers, Brees and possibly one or two other NFL QB's would also be upgrades. Beyond that, Schaub is as good, or better than the rest. I do not consider qb to be a need position for the Texans. Unless of course, you are referring to a higher quality back up (to Schaub) than Yates and/or Leinart.

If we are going to dream, let's dream about something that will really put the Texans over the top. Let's dream of making Calvin Johnson and Larry Fizgerald our Wide Receivers, along with Dre. Hell, we have now decided to live in Fantasyland, we might as well have really big fantasies! At this stage of Peyton Manning's and Matt Schaub's respective careers, the Johnson/Fitzgerald fantasy will yield much better long-term benefits than the Schaub for P. Manning fantasy.

Just sayin'
  • Satin
  • 01-29-2012, 11:01 PM
And we can all dream Dopey will actually appear in a playoff game and also not get hurt while we're at it....

BL, I agree with most of what you said...but I would never say never bro. I think it's highly unlikely but I wouldn't rule out anything. It all comes down to dollars. If the Colts cut Peyton, they cannot tell him where to go. He can go wherever he chooses. He will probably want to go where he has a chance to win a Superbowl.

I think Kubes is more in love with Dopey than my buddy BT, so it's unlikely he will get rid of Dopey, but you never know. Rick Smith is a bright guy....

Caught a few highlights of the Powder Puff Bowl....Vonte Leach scored?
I didn't watch either, but the over/under was 74.5. I think we're all going to realize that the over will be free money in the future lol. I saw the highlights, it's basically the offense going through drills.

This win was obviously HUGE for Kubes is resume....okay, so maybe not, but at least he is now 1 game over .500 for the postseason

And I lost the most absurd bet today, it payed 68 to 1, so I didn't have that much money on it, but still:

7 Team Parlay
Win1/29/12 7:00pm NFL Football 495 AFC +170* vs NFC
Win1/29/12 3:30pm NBA Basketball 801 Chicago Bulls +4½ -110* vs Miami Heat
Loss1/29/12 6:05pm NBA Basketball 806 Boston Celtics -290* vs Cleveland Cavaliers
Win1/29/12 6:35pm NBA Basketball 810 Dallas Mavericks -225* vs San Antonio Spurs
Win1/29/12 7:05pm NBA Basketball 811 Los Angeles Lakers +107* vs Minnesota Timberwolves
Win1/29/12 7:05pm NBA Basketball 813 Atlanta Hawks -135* vs New Orleans Hornets
Win1/29/12 8:05pm NBA Basketball 815 Los Angeles Clippers +6 -110* vs Denver Nuggets

Fuckin' Celtics lol. They've coast me a ton of money ever since I started gambling, good reminder today to always stay away from them..
If the Colts cut Peyton, they cannot tell him where to go. He can go wherever he chooses. He will probably want to go where he has a chance to win a Superbowl.

I think Kubes is more in love with Dopey than my buddy BT, so it's unlikely he will get rid of Dopey, but you never know. Rick Smith is a bright guy....
Originally Posted by Satin
Note that Peyton has value, a lot of value. The Colts are not going to walk away from value, they are going to try to get something in return. It is my belief that not only are they going to try to cash in on that value but also work to place Peyton somewhere that it does not hurt them. Peyton to the Cowboys or Redskins, I can see that.

The biggest stumbling block to signing him here is the dollars, it would be very hard to make it work as we just don't have the dollars to spend.