Why more Americans don't travel abroad

too little travel prevents you from traveling extensively, but too much money can make every place you go the same Originally Posted by Wwanderer
Oops! That should be "too little money prevents you...".

-Ww
Another dynamic to that is youth. Both the physical ability to rough it & (for most) the economic necessity to rough it sprinkled with a bit of naivity and fearlessness Originally Posted by atlcomedy
I'll third that!

I love to get off the beaten path but damn I do love a comfy bed too. Originally Posted by WTF
Yeah, I can relate. When I was young I thought of a youth hostel as an occasional luxury. These days, I think of a 5-star hotel as an occasional luxury and something not that far below it as minimal (except in unusual circumstances). However, just because you are staying in a hotel that is indistinguishable from those in any other major First World city in all but the details does not mean that you cannot (or should not) get out there on the street and see life as the locals live it for at least parts of your stay. That's pretty much my current practice.

-Ww
I can`t live without travelling. My life depends on it. Originally Posted by ninasastri
Sounds like you have the sort of wanderlust that seems to be in some people's blood...including mine. Almost seems to run in families like it was genetic or something. One of my parents, one of my children and one of my nieces are pretty much in the same situation.

I consider myself *extremely* fortunate to have seen as much of the world and traveled as frequently as I have (in the US as well as abroad, btw), but it is not an accident. I knew that I wanted to "see the world" as far back as I can remember and aimed/planned/worked for and toward it...made a few significant sacrifices along the way to make it happen as well.

Imo, it is a blessing to know what you want, even if it is hard to get; a lot of people seem to spend their lives trying to figure out what it is they want to do with their life...rather than actually doing it.

-Ww
I would like to see something to back this up. I really doubt that the USA is where women have the most to be fearful, quite the opposite I would guess but then that would be just a guess. Like I said other than how you 'Feel' do you have any evidence to back up that feeling?

Below is a link to ten cities you might be careful in.

http://urbantitan.com/10-most-danger...world-in-2010/ Originally Posted by WTF
Ask and ye shall receive. Check out the numbers in this table, Table B1 from the Appendix of this article:

http://www.jstor.org/stable/725837

Btw, this article is not focused (at all) on crime rates in the US and is not concerned with "US bashing" (at least not in any obvious way); so one might hope that the numbers are not to biased/slanted/cherry-picked.

Anyway, as you can see, the US has a higher homicide rate than the large majority of the countries for which data is available and is BY FAR the highest for any First World (rich) country...but even *most* poor countries are safer statistically.

You can see the same effect on the list of 10 dangerous cities in your link; a couple of more-or-less ordinary US cities rank up there with third world cities which, for the most part, are in unusual circumstances of some sort (drug "wars", severe political instability etc).

Now, to be sure, these numbers do not address violence against women specifically, only violence in general, but it seems very unlikely to me that the statistics would be much different if they were limited to female victims.

So, it appears to me that Amanda's "feeling" is correct. (I'd add that this is a feeling shared by a lot of women with extensive international travel experience based on anecdotal evidence, i.e., what they have told me. It is such a general perception, that I think most experienced international travelers of both genders consider it "common knowledge" and not really a controversial statement.)

Anyway, I sure don't see any support for your guess that the situation is "quite the opposite".

-Ww
Attached Images File Type: jpg tb8.jpg (88.7 KB, 95 views)
One of my American friends just got her passport and she said it cost her around 80 USD...but to get it expedited it was going to be around 150...for me personally, I wouldn't have an issue paying 80-100 USD for something that is good for around 10 years... I suppose one reason why I'd love to see more people getting passports because once they've received it in the post, perhaps it would motivate them to go get a stamp in it! Originally Posted by Valerie
Just for accuracy, here is the US passport fee schedule

http://travel.state.gov/passport/fees/fees_837.html
I understand the cost issue...What I just have trouble understanding is people who have no interest of ever leaving their local town/state/country?....Passports aren't that expensive, I think it would be a good idea to at least have one.... Originally Posted by Valerie
Passports aren't that expensive. Last time I checked they were less than $200!
Sigh.I tell 'em I'm Canadian (will I get worse service?) Originally Posted by SR Only
LOL I don’t know if that would help. A couple of years ago I visited a club in Cabo called Mermaids. Whereas I had absolutely no problems, two weeks later, two gentlemen from Vancouver were shot in the same club. However, according to the article, it seems they may have been engaged in other nefarious activities. Authorities in Vancouver reported the two men were living the “high life” with no obvious source of income to support such a life style.

• WTF
  • 02-07-2011, 07:20 AM
Now, to be sure, these numbers do not address violence against women specifically, only violence in general, but it seems very unlikely to me that the statistics would be much different if they were limited to female victims.

Originally Posted by Wwanderer

Ww,
I have traveled extensively both in this country and out. I have never felt threatened in this country (except in certain parts, just as in Paris I was told not to go to certain parts) and surely (don't call me Shirley) not walking to the grocery store but then I live in a fairly nice neighborhood and feel much safer here. I have been to a favela in Rio de Janeiro, the perception is that you are supposed to be scared, the reality was much different for me. Same with Medellin Columbia, people say not to go but I have been and it was great, ck out their murder rate. Yes one can put themselves in a bad spot but that is a far cry from a rational fear or better stated irrational
Have you ever seen the study where they informed the doctors of a phys ward that there would be a perfectly normal patient would be entreating their facility to see if they would misdiagnosis' the patient and inadvertently admit them, they would not be told who or when?

The ''We can find nothing wrong with you" rate shot up, I cant remember the numbers but it went from like 3% to 30%. What changed ? Perception. All of the sudden if up start looking for a sane man instead of a disturbed one you find far more sane men.

Just as you can not speak for Amanda nor can I but since we are speculating , I will too.

My guess is Amanda is speaking mostly of Europe or Japan. Two highly advanced regions that do not prosecute prostitution like this country. My guess that is where her perception or 'feeling' of safety arises.
I think a far fairer analysis would be not to say 'the world' , such as she did but be more specific. I highly doubt that where Amanda lives here in the states ( I could be wrong, she may live in the worst neighborhood in Detroit) is any more dangerous walking to the grocery store than anywhere else. If I had a portable Taco stand in LA that they had deemed illegal and one in Mexico City, I might feel safer in Mexico city than LA but we all know that you have to look at a shit load more factors than just that, like which neighborhood you are selling taco's in yadayada

Do you think it is safer to walk home after having a few drinks or drive?

http://www.ocduiblog.com/2010/02/dru...the-influence/

After running through some numbers, they find:
“Doing the match, you find that on a per-mile basis, a drunk walker is eight times more likely to get killed than a drunk driver.
They add a caveat that drunk walkers don’t kill other people, as drunk drivers do; but even factoring for that, “walking drunk leads to five times as many deaths per mile as driving drunk.”
Add to that the stats showing that distracted driving, like using radios and CDs in a car (or even talking on your cellphone with a bluetooth headset), kills more people than DUI does, and you have a matter of selective enforcement.
  • WTF
  • 02-07-2011, 07:37 AM
As a single female traveling alone in an underground industry, I can assure everyone I felt safer in every country I visited (with one exception) than I do walking the streets in American buying groceries. America has many great things about it and many freedoms, it is also incredibly dangerous for women. American women might be pleasantly surprised as they travel abroad. Pickpockets abound but women are not the specific target of violence like they are in America.
Originally Posted by texasgoldengirl
Amanda stated ''but women are not the specific target of violence like they are in America.'' which implies that women in the states are specifically targeted. Yes streetwalkers are by serial killer but that is hardly the norm. Are we the only country with serial killers?

Originally Posted by Wwanderer
Amanda made it seem as if in this country is where women are targeted, your stats show that they are not picking on women. We are equal opportunity killers!

What we are talking about really is gun laws....that is different than what Amanda implied.
Valerie,

I grew up a military brat, so I was able to travel to a few different places.

I loved it for the most part, (except moving around and never developing lasting childhood relationships), the culture, the food and even the music!

When I read your thread, it made me think about my travel habits as an adult. And I must admit that I, too, am one of those that have not traveled outside of my country. (as an adult).
It's more a factor of being a mother and not having the amount of time needed for that sort of vacation. And when I do get those chances, (i.e, Christmas break), my funds are tied into other obligations.

I'm making it a point to put some money aside in a special stash for my trip to Italy. In the mean time, I've taken up Italian to prepare myself.

Thanks for jogging some memories with this thread.

Genesis Nicole
I do not feel safe in certain parts of Charlotte, NC. I think this is why I kick out an insane amount of
money for where I live now. Why does someone need to show proof of the U.S not being a safe place to live?
I think we can make that decision based on how we feel as individuals. I am mortified to even visit certain parts of town even during the day but it is tolerable as I do not have to go there.

Serial killers? U.S has had more serial killers in 5 years than any other country. It is absurd for one to think that
U.S is a safe haven for all because it is not. Any person in their right mind knows this country is not as safe as some
of you make it to be... Just watch the news! Let's not even talk about the laws that change every 5 minutes. Is it safer
than most third world countries? Absolutely!

Now as for London, I have uncles that live there and don't plan on leaving that country ever. The love it.
I also have family in Ireland that swear it is the safest place in the world. That is them but for me? I haven't found this safe haven you people are talking about because North Tryon street was recently declared ONE of the worst neighborhoods in the country and that ain't too far from me! So stop all this crap about US is safe .. because it's not. When you guys find the safest city let me know because I will be willing to move. Everything scares the crap out of me.

So yeah while I am looking forward to visiting Ms. London Rayne, I will never live in New Orleans. It will be just my luck for some azzhat to mess with me lol.
Are we the only country with serial killers?
Originally Posted by WTF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ers_by_country

See for yourself and notice the U.S list is quite extensive.
Passports aren't that expensive. Last time I checked they were less than $200! Originally Posted by Naomi4u
Still, $200 is a high luxury item to a lot of people. Especially those below the poverty level (which, in some places is significant), and event the working poor. For instance, the following stat exists for Charlotte:

Percent of families below poverty level: 7.8% (35.6% of which were female householder families with related children under 5 years)
Still, $200 is a high luxury item to a lot of people. Especially those below the poverty level (which, in some places is significant), and event the working poor. For instance, the following stat exists for Charlotte: Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
I imagine if one has desire to travel they can afford the $200 fee since it costs way more to travel abroad. For example a round trip ticket to Nigeria is only $1800. What's a $200 fee for a passport?

... however I understand what you are saying but I hope you understand where I am coming from. If they can't afford a passport they shouldn't be traveling anyway.
I thought I would throw this in. It is a chart / graph of the Crime Statistics > Murders (per capita) most recent, by country.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...ers-per-capita

I love all the posted comments below this chart.