NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

Perhaps if Daddio's (a minor concession on my part) "name-calling and foolishness" were to go away, mine will soon follow. Originally Posted by bigtex
... Sounds fair enough. ... OK back to football.

Daddio... U got the Cheerleader Calendar? I just flipped it and we've got another beauty this month...

Question for U season ticket holders... As I understand it, we will have some access to events like a few selected practices and Training Camp... But what about the Cheerleader tryouts??? I just can't help but think there will be a record turn out this year and 100's of babes all shaking their ass and bouncing titties in one place just seems like a win to me...

Perhaps we should get together and throw a post-tryout party... Hell, lets press up some flyers, send invites to players, and promise the ladies a chance to meet 'em. I'd bet Leinart would be the first to RSVP.. From the footage I've seen of the Ninja checkin out those babes in Hawaii, I got a feeling he'd come too. Yeah I know, the cheerleaders within the organization are off-limits to players. However, the squad hasn't been decided yet! They'd have their shot at that off-limit cheerleader snatch that's been calling to them on the sidelines--would make for a nice pitch to get a few players on board. Believe it or not, I've actually partied with a former Texan and man we use to have a blast in the strip joints. Satin, if only I knew you back then, shit would have been at a whole nother level.... Funny thing about it is I don't recall ever talking football with him. Go figure... Though I don't know any club promoters, I do know a club owner with a pretty nice spot on Washington Ave. I don't have any experience putting an event of this magnitude together either. But with careful planning, utilizing my connections, and finding some additional help, who knows?? It all starts with an idea right?... Only (major) drawback would be trying to keep the press in the dark.. Putting NFL players, Cheerleaders, and alcohol together, has the potential of either being epic, or an epic fail. Though its NFL's party season right now, if shit it the fan I wouldn't want to become one of H-Towns most hated.

And Congrats to Coach Kubes!!

Daddio.. I agree that it was a result of a collective effort. Kubes deserves the props being the glue that kept it all together. BTW though I doubt his job will be on the line anywhere in the near future, his contract does expire the end of the 2012 season. However, I don't see that being an issue. He could be at the top of the list when it comes to contract extensions for 2013+. The ONLY way I think his job comes into question is if the Texans have a loosing record and fail to make the playoffs. So on that note, I do think the bar has been raised.

If we let Mario Go free agent, how much money will it free up for us to pick up free agents? Originally Posted by Daddio
Technically none. His deal is already finished. If he is not extended by March 13th, he would no longer a member of the team. Since there would be no contract in play, the actual # is arbitrary. Regardless, it also leaves another position to draft depth for and most decent OLB's get selected in the 1st 2 rounds. As for the cap, it just means there is more available to spend. However, the team will have enough trouble spending that to keep what they got. Anything left for freeagency, expect to be minimal. Chances are, they will have to make cuts to lower the cap if they want to go after any high value free agents. That is unless the said free agent will "play for less" to be on a "favored" team. There is, however, plenty of trade options that may come up.

Other than Foster, C. Meyers, and Mario, Texans want to also extend OLT Duane Brown and OLB Conner Barwin (both exp 2013). Also both of which are among those who got shafted for the Probowl nod. Since Kubes is talking TJ and Leinart to battle for the #2 spot, I'm assuming they'll want to re-sign Leinart as well.

Some questionable UFA's are Jason Allen, Quiton Demps, Joel Dreeson and Neil Rackers. I think these guys are all quality players but may be subject to cap casualty. If they re-sign Mario, I doubt ANY of these will re-sign as there will be bigger offers elsewhere.

BT..., Well, I've been keeping an eye out for talks on a Schaub extension but nothing yet. Perhaps your right about them waiting for nxt year. However, if we get our much desired dual-deep threat at WR, it could make his value can sky rocket next season. IMO extending his contract this year would be ideal if they want to keep him for the long haul without a huge gouge in the cap. Though I think Brees is a far better QB, I think the Brees situation over in NOLA is a good example of how things might pan out w/out extending him this yr. Especially, since Schaub is arguably in for his best ever year in 2012 and would be a 2013 UFA on a cap-strapped team. I'll post if anything comes up. That is, if you don't beat me to it.

DED... U still lurkin?... No more Hines..What r ur thoughts? Pitty for PIT? Think Hines could still be a hot dog at his age and possibly add some mustard to the Texans' Ballpark for a discount? The Texans are hungry for a WR. OR will he want to take a bigger bite than what the Texans offer and take his buns to another team? Personally I think I'll miss Hines and Berger. Together they've often put more on the plate than other teams can handle..
Looking at Free Agency as for what it is, I think some folks don't quite get it. I'm not pertaining to anyone on the thread but more so in general. I think many fans view Free Agency as a burden especially when one of their favorite players reaches that moment in their career. Hell, I'm nervous as fuck when it come to Foster and as you fellers know this started waay back. However, as a fan of the player, I'm also proud for him. Only quality players reach that stage as the no-good-for-shit ones get cut before it ever happens. So another way to look at it, is that it is earned out of respect. We often look down on players speaking out when they want to be traded or want to renegotiate because they believe they "out-played" their current contract. However, Free Agency is a chance for the player to have that voice and that power to be summoned by offers from interested teams without loosing an ounce of dignity. When their current team offers an extension before the said player hits the market, I think it should be viewed as a compliment as in to say "We want you here and we don't want to loose you." However, if a player declines and wants a taste of the market, how could you fault them? The simple truth is coming into Free Agency during your prime is a rarity. Chances are it will come only once in a lifetime. Shouldn't they have a right to find out what they're worth on an open market? If someone wanted to quadruple your salary(sometimes even more), wouldn't you want to know about it? The other side to it is the camaraderie. Especially on winning teams, players often create life-long friendships and may feel an unwritten obligation to stick with their current team. The question is, whats better for the player in the long run? The beautiful thing about free agency is that it gives the players a chance to step back from their current role and put everything into perspective.

Sometimes you just got to say it, "FUCK THE PRESS!".. I believe the media loves to drive up their ratings by putting words into players mouths by over-speculating and making false claims. Although its fun to dream a little--imagining different scenarios that you think would put together a perfect team. The truth is YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT! and there is a reason why ongoing negotiations stay "in house." If you want to know a player's perspective, read/listen to what he has to say. However, remember he most likely being coached and the NFL is in every way VERY POLITICAL... This is where I love the Texans and Mario Williams.... The entire fucking planet had us getting Reggie Bush. The media had us all completely convinced and implanted that idea and many of us loved it. The Texans shocked the world, pissed off their own fans, and the Saints pulled some crazy shit to get Reg at #2. Although Bush is very talented, it was ultimately a fail for NO and a HUGE W for the Texans. Not a fail for NO? ya think? Compare Bush at the price to NO to what the Texans got in Foster. Ya heard me? Like I said, we don't know shit. IMHO one of the greatest moments in Franchise History was taking Mario #1 over Bush and I'd NEVER thought I'd say that. The media is great for talk and great for speculation, but don't believe a fucking word!

Straight From Chris Myers:
“I’m sure I’m going to when it comes to decision time, and luckily I’m not having to worry about it at this second, but you take everything into account,” he said. “I’ve obviously built a lot of friendships and relationships [in Houston], and the team is building on tremendous success this past season and I want to see those things through. I want to be a part of where this organization is heading.

“But like I said before, you’ve got to be the devil’s advocate and understand that at a certain extent, with the way free agency works, you’ve got to be available to do anything that happens. Because in the long run, it is a business, and those relationships only go so far. Me as being true to myself as I am, I want to remain a Texan, but it is what it is.”
Nice words from Denver's 5th round draft pick that started 64 consecutive games in Houston, lead an offensive line that produced the NFL’s second-best rushing attack, and made all the calls at the line in the Texans’ zone blocking scheme. Damn right he deserves to hear figures thrown at him that will make him smack his mama. Some scouts even have him as the best in the league. Keep him? Fuck ya but its the same shit as Mario, at what cost?? Will he take a discount? Just how bad does he want to remain a Texan?

But please don't go , we need you, Arian needs you ! ... If Schaub starts fumbling snaps and the new guy keeps stepping on his poor foot, then what?
IMHO one of the greatest moments in Franchise History was taking Mario #1 over Bush and I'd NEVER thought I'd say that. The media is great for talk and great for speculation, but don't believe a fucking word! Originally Posted by One-Eyed Willy
I am going to have to agree with you on that. I admit in the months leading up to that draft I wanted the Texans to take Reggie with the first pick. It wasn't because I was opposed to Mario. It was because I was much more familiar with RB and thought he was a premium running back. Once the Texans made the decision to take Mario, I was ok with it. By the time Mario had played a few games, it was apparent to me that he had a tremendous amount of talent. I don't know how many remember but the Texans also took DeMeco Ryans with the first pick in the 2nd round that year. The Texans struck paydirt with both of those picks!

Mario's first year in Houston wasn't easy because the VY fans were everywhere at the time. One of the P Mods at the time was a really good guy, but he absolutely hated Mario. He regularly called him the worst #1 draft pick in the history of professional football. He was also the first person I ever heard (or read) who referred to him as Sorryo. Perhaps that is where Satin got it from. I suspect Satin knows which P Mod I'm talking about. I always felt the reason the Mod disliked Mario was because he was pissed at the Texans for not taking VY.

In any event, the decision to take Mario over VY and Reggie certainly ranks as one of the better decisions in Texans franchise history!
  • Satin
  • 03-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Actually BT I'm not sure who that was and never heard that. I just came up with that on my own. Of course, I dont think Mario is sorry, but I don't think he's a great player like many of you do. I think he's a good player, but certainly not a "game-changer" by any means. Conversely, I think JJ Watt is a fucking beast. I love the way he plays. I predict he will have a much more productive career than Mario. If we were at risk of losing him I would be pissed. Mario, I just dont care.

As far as Reggie, I actually predicted and argued with my friends that he would not be the player and have the impact everyone was predicting. They all laughed at me. But I won a lot of cash and got the last laugh in the end.

Daddio, great post and thanks for being a class act and taking the high road bro. If you stop being so damn mysterious and hard to reach, I've got something for you....

Cat-Man, great post and insight on FA bro. I loved it. I'm more worried about Foster than anyone. We CANNOT lose that guy under any circumstances. We also need to keep our offensive line intact.

Anyone see Philly tagged DeSean Jackson? Good move for them, I love that guy, head case or not.

The general (whom I totally respect) seems to think we might lose Jacobi and Mario.

Steelers release Ward & DE Smith, thinks Farrior is next...

The Peyton saga is building....stay tuned.

Rub, man I wish we could all get VIP for life. Damn...

Cat-Man, I forgot to say you will get invited to a lot of stuff as a season ticket-holder bro. You're gonna LOVE it....trust me...
Williy needs to just start covering the Texans, tell the General to GTFO!~

Yes, I 100% with the notion that JJ Watt was/is going to be the greatest pick in our franchise's history. He is going to be the best in the league at what he does. Not a top 5 or even 3 guy, but number 1. Bank on it. It's amazing because I threw a Fucking fit that they didn't pick Nick Fairly lol. But then I actually watched some footage of Watt, heard him speak and how he carried himself, and found out Wade chose him. I immediately jumped on the bandwagon, and I jumped on hard!

Man, that Mario shit was batshit. I was in middle school, everyone was either on VY side or Bush's. I was with Bush. He still is to me the most exciting player that I've ever seen in College football ever. I'm so happy i got to start watching just as he started playing. That USC team was Fucking great. I was pretty pissed when they drafted Mario, but I like the dude, he was worth it imo, and was the best of the "big three" in the draft. I think Nagta from the Ravens was probably the best guy though.

But as good as that draft was for the Texans (Mario, Ryans, Owen Daniels) They followed it up by drafting Okoye and Jacoby the next year passing up on Derrele Revis and Patrick Willis, as well as Lamar Woodly and my newest favorite guy on madden: LAWRENCE MOTHERUFCKING TIMMONS. But I think the JJ Watt pick alone wipes out every bad draft year we've ever had

I'm glad you brought up the Steelers Satin, man, that's fucked up what happened, I use Smith and Ward a lot on Madden... :*(

Man, the Peyton situation is getting close. It's funny, I just did a quick search on the guy to find out when his bonus was due, and then found out he was divorced, I somehow never heard of that! It's crazy how all these athletes are divorced! Even Peyton Manning? I can understand Kobe, D Wade, Dirk, Steve Nash, BUT PEYTON MANNING? That guy is my legit God. These dudes need to contain there pussy a little better. Or better yet, just do like Jeter and LeBron and just stay single
DED... U still lurkin?... No more Hines..What r ur thoughts? Pitty for PIT? Originally Posted by One-Eyed Willy
Nah, Hines time has come and gone. It was good while it lasted, now...

JUST SIGN WALLACE...

It wouldn't surprise me if he got away though, WR's have never been a HUGE priority for the Burgh
  • Satin
  • 03-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Well DED, it looks like your Steelers will tender, not franchise Wallace. That leaves the door open for him to leave. There is an ESPN story that the Texans should pursue him. Damn, I would love to get that speedy fucker. Wallace and Andre? OMG....pick your poison....
Well DED, it looks like your Steelers will tender, not franchise Wallace. That leaves the door open for him to leave. There is an ESPN story that the Texans should pursue him. Damn, I would love to get that speedy fucker. Wallace and Andre? OMG....pick your poison.... Originally Posted by Satin

Told ya
It wouldn't surprise me if he got away though, WR's have never been a HUGE priority for the Burgh Originally Posted by DickEmDown
Wow,
Gregg Williams may have single handedly changed the way the NFL plays ball. Look for the boom to come down hard. Spygate won't be shit compared to this.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7638603/new-orleans-saints-defense-had-bounty-program-nfl-says

It appears that Owner, GM and head coach new what was going on as well and didn't do anything to stop it.

Others are reporting that this was going on when Williams was with the Redskins and speculation is rampant that it may have started with the Oilers.
Others are reporting that this was going on when Williams was with the Redskins and speculation is rampant that it may have started with the Oilers. Originally Posted by boardman
This shit has been going on for fucking ages....the new "kindler, gentler NFL" I'm sure will make a statement.

These dudes know what they are getting into & putting their bodies at risk for, they don't HAVE to play in the league.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...on-bounty-rule

Back in the day we called it "Head Hunting"

I imagine the players still call it that. Yeah the shit goes on at all levels of the game. From HS to college to the pros. Though most coaches don't condone it, its often talked about in lockerrooms amongst teammates. Many pros are actually friends across teams but there are a few that ginuinely don't like each other and teams that genuinely don't like each other. I think it's at a peak come playoffs. However it does surprise me that a coach would put actually put bounty's to inflict injury. I love the Saints but that shit is totally uncalled for. I could see "laying someone's ass out" as a performance incentive but not to the extent of encouraging injury. If anything at least leave it "hush hush" with no monetary value. I believe Goodell is going to hit the Saints hard perhaps with big fines and loss of draft picks. He could perhaps even take it to the point as to make an example of the Saints. Though hopefully he won't take performance pay out of the game completely.

Overall football is a very brutal sport though. These guys are taught to hit hard. Watching film, analyzing good and bad blocking the "pancake" is always highly commended whether its on a similar size player or not. Some of the biggest hits are during INT's, PR's, and KR's. I don't think they're actually "trying" to end each other's career, but it is often said in "shit talk" during the course of the game. If you've seen the SoundFX feat. Cushing after Cleavland game, he even threatened that fucker's life (x2) that headbutted him. But does he actually mean it? Hell no, he was just having fun playing football.

FF to about the 3min mark:
  • Satin
  • 03-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Not sure what's the big deal...it's called "football" not golf. Guys are in it to win and try to hurt each other. Like DED says, when you step on that field, you're risking life and limb. The NFL is becoming a pussy league....

There's a good discussion on 610 right now about Mario. They both agree (Norm Miller) it's hard to let him go, but just not worth the money. Someone has figured out a way to keep him by restructuring contracts....giving him $90 million for 6 years with a $30 million signing bonus. (Bill Barnwell)
I think the Fucked up thing about the Saints is that players got PAID under the table, basically, that's illegal! Might as well tell Wade to give Mario the same deal for an extra 30 mill so he can stay here

It's going to be interesting when whoever signs Mario as the highest paid defensive free agent in history realizes that he's barely a top five guy in his position, so good luck to whoever will have to live that down.
I think many of us have always known that the bounties existed. This makes it official and it will be interesting is to see how this plays out legally. Are there guys out there that actually received a bounty to take a guy out and ruined his career. Does that player now have legal recourse that was previously unavailable due to the "bounty"

I think this may open the door to civil and criminal proceedings. Look for the NFL to come down hard and quieten this down as quickly as possible. This has the potential to be a NFL game changer if not handled properly. I bet I know what the NFL's lawyers have been doing this weekend.
  • Satin
  • 03-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Yep, Roger Goddell will throw down the hammer for sure. I would not be surprised to see fines, suspensions, loss of draft choices and possibly criminal charges filed. Damn the Saints fucked up bad on this one...."Who Dat"...