NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

Every NFL team has headhunters.

With that said, how could Gregg Williams have been so naive as to believe that no player and/or coach would say anything about the paid vigilante squad? To make matters worse, the Saints owner apparently found out about it and ordered both the GM and Head Coach to correct this situation and apparently neither did anything to stop it.
....suspensions, possibly criminal charges filed. Damn the Saints fucked up bad on this one... Originally Posted by Satin
I think this may open the door to civil and criminal proceedings. Look for the NFL to come down hard and quieten this down as quickly as possible. This has the potential to be a NFL game changer if not handled properly. I bet I know what the NFL's lawyers have been doing this weekend. Originally Posted by boardman
You fellers are making me nervous.

The reason I jumped on the Saints bandwagon was because of the "good" they do. After Katrina I thought of them as "the most important team" to their community and to the league. I also got a few buds from the boot and both the ladies and gents I know from the area are truly ginuine. I admit there are some real shits too, but I hope this doesn't end up to be as nasty as it's projected to be. Criminal court requires the burdon of proof and good representation could get you out of just about anything. Civil court however, lies no such boundry. I imagine plenty of lawsuits, and possibly sponsors backing out. Suspensions ? Perhaps, but who's going to play pussyboy and tell coach how wrong it is? IDK. I think the team and coaches involved are going to take most of the heat.

Fellas like myself love the team for just as much as what they do off the field as what they do on it. The biggest heartbreak for me is how this could effect their loyalty and reputation within the NOLA community. Of all teams why the "Saints" ??

Glad to hear they taged Breezy! Though the tag may just be an insurance policy in case the LT deal can't be finalized by the 13th. Does this mean we can have Meechum or Coleston?
  • Satin
  • 03-05-2012, 07:01 AM
The Texans have reached a 5 year deal with Arian Foster, which avoids having to put the franchise tag on him....thats great news!

He only made $525,000 last year so it's well earned. I love the way he didn't make a big deal about it or whine to the media. Class act.

On a different note, Brooks Reed makes about $800,000, Mario wants about $18 million. Something ain't right about that...
I agree, great news on Foster!!!

The NFL needs to raise the salary cap or do like the NBA and let teams resign thier own guys like Mario without it hurting them so badly. Just because a player does well doesn't mean the team that drafted shouldn't be able to retain him at his now increased market value. Unfortunately, it's goodbye to Mario.

VJax will probably not get the franchise tag, he could be the final piece to the Texans Super Bowl puzzle, we can only dream.
Myers would seem to be the most likely to get the tag if they hang it on someone.
Never felt happier about a guy signing a deal. Yay Foster!
What a relief as on to filling the gaps not the knowns! Who will be the second badass deep threat so Johnson can get the space he needs to really put on a show?
Arian Was THE TOP PRIORITY After All!

The press had it Wrong!.. again.

What does this mean for Williams? Well, the Franchise tagging deadline has now passed (3pm today) and unless it goes unreported, Texans have not used the tag FOR ANYBODY. Looks to me like its officially unofficial: MARIO AND CHRIS WILL HIT FREE AGENCY... Unless of course they can muscle up back-end loaded contracts before the 13th. However, the BIG deal thus far is THE 5yr EXTENSION OF ARIAN FOSTER! According to reports, Foster's deal is $43.5M over 5 years, $20.75M guaranteed, with $30m due in the first three of the deal, including $18M in 2012.

This Day Calls for Wallpapers and an Increase of Bandwidth!

And An Unrelated Ass Shot Of a Would-be Cheerleader In Team Colors to Top It Off!! hehehe

And in case you haven't seen it already E:60 -Arian Foster- Self Made

Good post Willy.

But what does it mean that we didn't use the tag? Are going to get some sort of benefit by not using it?
Good post Willy.

But what does it mean that we didn't use the tag? Are going to get some sort of benefit by not using it? Originally Posted by Don91
Thanks & good question.

As far as a benefit by using the tag goes, its just a one year deal that can buy some time and keep a player from hitting free agency. Under the new terms, I believe it comes at a price of 120% of the players last year's salary. Most "guaranteed contracts" stipulate whether or not the player will even reach their final year and if so, it will generally be their best paid year--if you don't include signing bonuses from the 1st year. Teams can only use the tag one time on a player of their choice. Since the Texans have not used it and the deadline passed, it leaves quite a few players destined to hit the open market come March 13th. One benefit of them not using the tag is that any key player they sign between now and then will most likely get a competitive long term deal. Any player that is an unrestricted free agent after the deadline will be basically up for auction. However, they have a say in what team they go to and may take a lesser deal from a team that looks to be a playoff contender and/or a class organization. The Texans, though young, are both and have another advantage as their free agents feel like business would be unfinished if they choose to leave.

I know we haven't heard much from headquarters, but bet your ass its a fucking scramble across the board. They not only have to make competitive offers to those due to become UFA's this year but need to find space in the cap as well. Taking a line from Kubes, “The key in this business to being good in the long haul is holding people together...we’re going to do everything we can to keep the group together moving forward." Below are some free agents and some top salaries that may need adjustment. I listed Foster's as well but being as its fresh off the press, there's no chance they ask to renegotiate. Also, I imagine the $18M comes from a signing bonus and reward for his last 2 years taking league min w/out a single complaint. The others, however, may be subject to renegotiation. Perhaps by taking less for 2012 but adding extensions with more $ on the back end will free up cap room we need to keep the UFA's around a little longer. But in looking for free agents, there's no place like home.

Remaining Notable 2012 Free Agents:
Chris Meyers C (stated he may be testing the market but wants to remain a Texan)
Mario Williams OLB (biggest headache to keep as salaries will need to be tweaked)
Joel Dreessen TE (2nd stringer under an aging(29) OD. Would be starter many other teams. Could be tough to keep him around but worth it IMO)
Derrick Ward RB (vet 3rd string RB. wants to remain a Texan good leader for our young RB's)
Jasson Allen CB (I think his instincts are better than Kareem's but needs to limit mistakes)
Quintin Demps S (RFA formidable 3rd stringer with 4 PDef and 2 INT's in 9 games)
Neil Rackers K(very reliable but expensive for Kicker money)

2012 Big Salaries (according to sportrac):
Arian Foster $18,000,000
Johnathan Joseph $7,250,000
Matt Schaub $7,150,000
Andre Johnson $6,500,000
Owen Daniels $6,500,000
DeMeco Ryans $5,900,000
Antonio Smith $5,500,000
Eric Winston RT $5,500,000
Danieal Manning SS $5,000,000
*Jacoby Jones* $4,791,000
*Kevin Walter* $3,500,000

* = cuts??

*Jacoby signed a 3yr 10M deal back in July 2011 with 3M guaranteed. Reports are he got 617,280 for 2011. If we cut him, there is still 2.4mil tied up in guaranteed money. With that on the line, I doubt he will be going anywhere. He's got 2012 to redeem himself and his future will be riding on it.

*Walter is listed as the starting WR2 opposite Dre. He signed a 5yr $21.5M contract 2010 with 11mil guaranteed. He got $8M 2010 and $3M 2011. Add that up and he already got the guaranteed $. Though his contract is not up yet and there maybe early termination fees, he is the more likely candidate to be cut if the Texans get a better option to play opposite Dre. I'm in no way saying Jacoby is better, but rather cutting Walter makes more sense if $$ is an issue and calls for big name cuts. Sorry Walter.

I'm no expert, just a fan. Actual salaries and contracts are not reported in stone as they are not released by the Texans(same as most teams). So the info may or not be accurate. I believe it mostly comes from insiders and the player's agents and may be "fudged" a little here and there.
Very, very nice response. I guess I'd be in favor on not franchising anyone if it means getting sign a better free agent.
Great posts like every post from you, One Eye!!! Even though I am in off season mode, I still check this thread for the snatch pics!!! Props to you agan for the ass shot alone. The great Foster pics were very cool also.

I also think you are an expert on the Texans!! I think you actually might be the General in ECCIE undercover mode????

I hope the Texans are still very active as free Agency starts to kick off. I still hope to see a shake up of what we have left to do as well as re signing our own Free Agents, like Myers, Dressen, Ward and Allen.

Do you know if we lose Mario does that free up any $$$ for free agents? I have heard that it doesn't really free up much $$$$.

Also, do you know if LeStar Jean is still with the Texans? He had a real nice camp last year and was borderline making the team until a shoulder injury put him out for the year? He could be our next sleeper, it would be great to find a WR like we found in Arian Foster.

I did not do a Texan cheerleader calender, but have a sports illustrated swimsuit calender on my desk, it has a different snatch each day.

I hope the Texans are still very active as free Agency starts to kick off. I still hope to see a shake up of what we have left to do as well as re signing our own Free Agents, like Myers, Dressen, Ward and Allen.

Do you know if we lose Mario does that free up any $$$ for free agents? I have heard that it doesn't really free up much $$$$.

Also, do you know if LeStar Jean is still with the Texans? He had a real nice camp last year and was borderline making the team until a shoulder injury put him out for the year? He could be our next sleeper, it would be great to find a WR like we found in Arian Foster.

I did not do a Texan cheerleader calender, but have a sports illustrated swimsuit calender on my desk, it has a different snatch each day. Originally Posted by Daddio
Thanks for the props though I've been a fan since day 1, I admit being more tuned in to the team than ever before.

Loosing Mario doesn't really "free up" any $$ since he is no longer due a paycheck. You can't put a number on something that has not been agreed to. Hypothetically numbers have been out there ($22-23M) if he were to get tagged. It's now too late for that . So, the exact amount is arbitrary. The only option in keeping him now would be to a long term deal. I'm sure the Texans are scrambling to make him an offer but keep negotiations tightly under wraps. So unless a deal is made, we will never know. If a deal is not made , the Texans theoretically would have more to offer to other free agents.

Chris Myers Rated Best in the League!

However even with Mario out of the picture, Chris Myers at Center is also in high demand. He fits perfectly into the zone blocking scheme and makes the calls for other linemen to pick up blitzes. To me, signing him should now be the top priority. Even though he was a alternate for the pro bowl, he should of started. Without him, Foster and Schaub's production could decline. However he already stated that though he wants to remain a Texan, we would like to test the waters of Free Agency as well.

LeStar Jean is still on the roster according to their website. Physically, with weight, height and speed, he is very close to Dre. I don't know much else other than he is expected to be back next year. I'm thinking if they don't get their WR early in the draft, he may have a shot competing with Jacoby for the #2 spot behind Dre.

Arian's deal is now Official!

Vid of Foster's Press Conference

I want that pen..