NFL and Houston Texans Superthread: Are we ready for some football?

According to Adam Shefter (this fucker is annoyingly accurate)
NFL is taking away millions of dolllar of salary-cap space from Cowboys and Redskins for how they front-loaded deals during uncapped year....Cowboys lose $10 million in cap space, Redskins lose $36 million in space. Can split it over 2012 and 2013 any way they want....All that money goes to 28 other teams -- $1.6 million each -- except for Saints and Raiders, who don't get any but don't lose any...
Well, sucks for Dallas and Washington..

Hope The Texans get a veteran at WR as well, preferably Vincent Jackson, longshot though, whatever. If we draft a guy, I'd go with Hill over Wright. God bless Wright, but I think the guy is going to be Jacoby 2.0.

Titans are smart for trying to get Manning, it would seem like a good fit imo. Of course, I think the Texans would have made the best fit. Could have signed Wayne as well and fixed our WR problem.
The Denver Post's Mike Klis, Reports the Texans are one of six teams still alive in the Peyton Manning Sweepstakes and are considered the biggest threat (not Arizona or Miami) to land a deal..
Like several other teams involved in the Peyton Manning sweepstakes, the Broncos have been in discussions today with agent Tom Condon.
Talks are no more than preliminary, though, because Manning has not yet decided where he will finish his career and wants to take today to rest, work out and clear his mind, according to two NFL sources.

The Broncos are one of six teams who are considered alive in the pursuit of Manning. The others are Miami, Arizona, San Francisco, Tennessee and — surprise! — the Houston Texans.

The Texans recently inquired about Manning, according to a source. If they get seriously involved, the Texans might be considered the Broncos' biggest threat. Like the Broncos, Houston is an AFC team. Unlike the Broncos, the Texans currently have the pieces in place to be considered a Super Bowl-contending team.

Houston also has a Pro Bowl quarterback in Matt Schaub, who will turn 31 in June.

However, Schaub is coming off a season-ending broken foot injury. Manning, who is 12 days away from his 36th birthday, missed all of last season with a neck injury.
As with Dre's extension, The General says the report is false... What I'm wondering here is.. who the hell are these sources? Is this the same source "close to the Mannings" that our own abc13's Bob Allen cited in his report? WTF is going on around here??

Also, Peyton will be coming to H-Town to talk to Titans' Bud Adams(lives here). If no contract talks, should Texans set something up with Mr.McNair feat. special guests Watt, Cush, Barwin and Ninja for some "friendly intimidation" to persuade Peyton not to come to AFC South?? hehehe

IF the Texans are actually interested, I do believe they would be at the top of Peyton's list. Simply because his chances would be greater to instantly win. Though Peyton(because of health) may not be in the best interests for the Texans, the Texans would with out a doubt be in the best interests for him.

Could Titans’ interest force Texans to chase Peyton?
Now that's what I want to hear, lets do this!

The General shoots the report down again. However, though he gets it right most of the time, he has already been wrong on a few accounts this offseason.
He reported "TJ Yates is the backup, Matt Leinart is the 3rd." Kubes stated at the combine TJ and Leinart will battle it out for the 2 spot at training camp.
He boldly reported signing Mario Williams will be the Texans' Top Priority. Foster got the big deal, hence top priority. Its under 24 hours till free agency officially kicks off and no Mario deal yet.
The person that I trust the most is Chris Mortensen when it comes to Manning. He is ESPN's designated person to cover the ordeal. He broke the story of Manning being cut. I believe he is the closest to the reliable "sources." Though Texans/P. Manning talk has his attention, he has yet spoken on anything official yet. I'll believe its factual when he breaks it. However, I don't see why a Denver reporter would stake his reputation, under national scrutiny, on claims that the Texans are interested unless his "source" checks out. Regardless of whats to come, signing Arian to a LT contract sets the stage of what's to come 2012 and beyond.
Eric Winston just got cut. HOLY FUCK!!
  • Satin
  • 03-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Don, dammit man, that picture looks very good, but just ain't gonna happen..

But again, I never saw them cutting Eric Winston either.

They've made a offer to Mario....will he accept?
If we cut Winston to keep Mario, I'ma loose my shit.

2012 Big Salaries (according to sportrac):
Johnathan Joseph $7,250,000
Matt Schaub $7,150,000
Andre Johnson $6,500,000
Owen Daniels $6,500,000
DeMeco Ryans $5,900,000
Antonio Smith $5,500,000
Eric Winston RT $5,500,000
Danieal Manning SS $5,000,000
*Jacoby Jones* $4,791,000
*Kevin Walter* $3,500,000 Originally Posted by One-Eyed Willy
Scratch another from the list....Yeah it sux but we now freed up $5.5M and added $1.5M(thanks to Jerry Jones and Kube's buddy Shanahan) to our cap room.

Sad to see him go. Not only has he been a force on our O-Line, but he makes for a great insider on Tuesdays following the game on 610 broadcasting from Wingstops around town.

I hope this is not a kickstart to the demise of one of the best O-Lines in the league. Considering 3 of our 4 starting Linemen may be gone as Chris Myers and Mike Brisiel look to be hitting free agency really gets me scratching my head.

Top salaries to be possibly renegotiated/extended/cut are now:

Matt Schaub $7,150,000
Owen Daniels $6,500,000
DeMeco Ryans $5,900,000
Antonio Smith $5,500,000
Danieal Manning SS $5,000,000
*Jacoby Jones* $4,791,000
*Kevin Walter* $3,500,000

I got a feeling were in for some BIG news of a signing or 2 tomorrow before the deadline. Potentially C.Myers, M. Williams, and of course the P. Manning rumors are heating up as well.
From what I understand Texans also need to be under cap before the deadline 3PM tomorrow which is the official start of the 2012 season. To keep any would-be free agents from coming to market, they need to come to terms NOW!.. After that, unrestricted free agents can sign with a team beginning Tuesday through July 22 or the opening day of the first training camp, whichever is later. Restricted free agents can sign until April 20. Franchise players have until Nov. 13 to sign — if he hasn't he must sit out the season.

Mark tonight as a sleepless one for Kubes/Rick Smith. Mr. McNair is set to speak publicly (610 & presser) on free agency and other team news tomorrow as well.

Also by the way...U fellers remember The General emphatically stating Dre's restructure was false?? Well guess who got it wrong.... again. He now reneges on that statement..

https://twitter.com/#!/McClain_on_NF...56062741311488

Add it to the list of "General" fuck ups and again wonder about P. Manning Houston!

Like I said... WE DON'T KNOW SHIT!!
IMO, Winston will be back. I thinck this is a move to rearrange money. That is the best offensive line in football right now. There is some strategy involved that we aren't seeing...at least I hope so.
Hey Satin... Remember when you first heard this???

Sources: Bears “favorite” to land DE Mario Williams

Kind of scary, it is...

Peppers and Williams, battle of the pockets, it will be...

Bears have $30M in cap space.. enough for Mario and Jackson!

Adding up the Texans' moves..

+5.2M Dre's restructure
+5.5M Winston (General reports 4.5)
+1.9M Leinart (damn! was hoping he'd be at the cheerleader party)
+1.5M Cowgirls' and Skinnys' greed money
= 14.1... free'd up! So, who's name(s) will be on the dotted line?
  • Satin
  • 03-12-2012, 08:08 PM
Both of the 2 Cats have a valid point. Doesn't add up about Winston. I figured he would walk right off the field and get the keys to the city as Mayor without even having an election.

I think Leinert will go. And please let Jacobi go.....please....& take Jackson with him....

Who's next?
Wow this is setting the stage for some more moves Kubes and Rick Smith must have up their sleeves!! I agree on Winston that was shocking but I have a feeling he might be back.

Mario? Manning? Myers?

Remember, the General could probably always be right but also is forced to spread some misinformation occasionally too!
Looking at the Texans tough 2012 Schedule:

Possible Manning Destinations in bold
Playoff Potentials underlined

Home:
Indianapolis
Jacksonville
Tennessee
Buffalo
Miami
Baltimore
Green Bay
Minnesota.

Away:
Indianapolis,
Jacksonville
Tennessee
New England
New York Jets
Denver
Chicago
Detroit

I have Chicago as a playoff potential because they got an ass-load of cap room and are bound to make some major moves to put them back as a contender.

Looking at our season and thinking P. Manning goes to the Titans, has me struck. Please say it ain't so!
Just in: Peyton spoke to Miami officials this evening. Now its the Titans, the ever mysterious Texans, and possibly the 49ers pending on Alex Smith negotiations.
If Mario walks, front runners continue to be reported are Jags and Bears.

Yet another jumps(ed) the gun on saying Manning will be a Texan!

I've always enjoyed NFL Films for for their inside look with SoundFX and game previews and other shit. I've come to find out those fellers have a blog too.
One of their producers, Greg Smith, seems to believe Peyton will sign with Houston... Why Peyton Manning Will Sign with Houston- by the way he also believes that Schaub will be a perfect back up. I concur however, don't see Schaub as a backup without a contract extension. If Schaub is smart and wants to have any kind of legacy, he'll get out of dodge in the last year of his contract and demand a trade. An extension, however, could help him remain a Texan with at least some promise as Peyton nears retirement and/or may have a season-ending injury.

And from The Denver Post
Also, just curious about his throw, well his old buddy, former teammate 03-06, Brandon Stokley states:
"I saw him for three days at Duke and he was the only quarterback (throwing to four or five receivers) and he threw a ton of balls for three straight practices and the guy looked to me like he did when I was there six years ago.."

Manning spent the night at Stokley's house while in Denver and hitched a ride to the Airport Sunday. Stokley, who also caught roughly 50 passes from Manning Sat morning, also stated:
"People who say the Broncos are crazy for not watching his balls fly, or what are they doing? those people are dead wrong," Stokley said. "I'll put whatever reputation I have on the line behind that guy right now. He looks great."

Also stated in the article
The Broncos and other teams who are pursuing the free-agent Manning have received some criticism for trying to lure him without watching him work out. But Manning's five-day workout at Duke was filmed, and distributed to teams upon his release last Wednesday by the Colts.
ABC's Bob Allen states Peyton wants Texans
Denver Post states Texans want Peyton (uh I tend to think Kubes still has close ties there)
Houston Chronicle has contradicting reports... General, "no, no, no ,no" King Solomon, "HELL YES!"

My question is this: In hours of talking to Elway, did any mention of his legacy under Kubes come up in the conversation? - Thanks Elway

McNair on 610 tomorrow 1230p... has some esssplaining to do.. !! Cut Winston??? Brisiel? Meyers? Mario?