Turning Texas Blue

Texas Republicans, led by Governor Rick Perry, jammed a special session with an uncalled measure to pass some of America's most restrictive abortion laws.

With the session rapidly approaching closure, Senator Wendy Davis of Fort Worth, cheered on by a raucous full gallery, staged a 10 hour personal filibuster.

At the stroke of Midnight, or thereabouts, Lt. Gov. David ("I got my ass whipped by Ted Cruz") Dewhurst attempted to shut her down and call a vote on the bill, but it was too little to late. State troopers were ordered to clear the gallery, and little gray haird ladies were dragged out of there in handcuffs. Amid the chaos, the Republican voice vote, which was reportedly passed the bill, came after midnight.

Fucking idiots hit their winning shot AFTER the buzzer.

The episode made Wendy Davis a hero (she also was a challenger to the Voting Rights Act) and catapulted her into the national spotlight.

A major step toward Turning Texas Blue and the first ominous chord in the final death knell of the GOP.

Here's the AP story...

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...7.html?ml=po_r

Texas abortion bill falls after challenge

By ASSOCIATED PRESS | 6/25/13 10:26 PM EDT Updated: 6/26/13 7:53 AM EDT
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Hundreds of jeering protesters helped stop Texas lawmakers from passing one of the toughest abortion measures in the country, shouting down Senate Republicans and forcing them to miss a midnight deadline to pass the bill.

Initially, Republicans insisted they had started voting before the midnight deadline and passed the bill that Democrats spent much of Tuesday filibustering. But after official computer records and printouts of the voting record showed the vote took place on Wednesday, and then were changed to read Tuesday, senators convened for a private meeting.

An hour later, Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst was still insisting the 19-10 vote was in time, but said, "with all the ruckus and noise going on, I couldn't sign the bill."

He denounced the more than 400 protesters who staged what they called "a people's filibuster" from 11:45 p.m. to well past midnight. He denied mishandling the debate.

"I didn't lose control (of the chamber). We had an unruly mob," Dewhurst said. He then hinted that Gov. Rick Perry may immediately call another special session, adding: "It's over. It's been fun. But see you soon."

Sen. Wendy Davis, D-Fort Worth, spent most of the day staging an old-fashioned filibuster, attracting wide support, including a mention from President Barack Obama's campaign Twitter account. Her Twitter following went from 1,200 in the morning to more than 20,000 by Tuesday night.

"My back hurts. I don't have a lot of words left," Davis said when it was over and she was showered with cheers by activist who stayed at the Capitol to see her. "It shows the determination and spirit of Texas women."

Davis' mission, however, was cut short.

Rules stipulated she remain standing, not lean on her desk or take any breaks — even for meals or to use the bathroom. But she also was required to stay on topic, and Republicans pointed out a mistake and later protested again when another lawmaker helped her with a back brace.

Republican Sen. Donna Campbell called the third point of order because of Davis' remarks about a previous law concerning sonograms. Under the rules, lawmakers can vote to end a filibuster after three sustained points of order.

After much back and forth, the GOP voted to end the filibuster minutes before midnight, sparking the raucous response from protesters. As the demonstrators thundered, Campbell urged Senate security to "Get them out! Time is running out. I want them out of here!"

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...#ixzz2XKiwj56p
A major step toward Turning Texas Blue and the first ominous chord in the final death knell of the GOP. Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
Nah .... not even close. The winning votes were there in the Senate to pass the law.

Don't be a COG.
Texas should close it's borders to keep all the ash and trash out
or we could become a libtard state, if the waves of carpetbaggers
continue to pour over our borders.
Yeh, blue Texas. Then it just be another welfare state shithole.
Texas should close it's borders to keep all the ash and trash out or we could become a libtard state, if the waves of carpetbaggers
continue to pour over our borders. Originally Posted by bojulay
I thought we got rid of a bunch when the legislators ran to Oklahoma to HIDE!!!!

The Okies don't want them either!!!!

The Northern, Eastern and Western borders I hope you are mentioning.

I have always been a Democrat, and have continued to consider myself one.

As difficult as it is sometimes.
Say what you want, bittermen. Texas and America met the next Ann Richards last night. Her name is Wendy Davis, and she's gonna lead Texas back to sanity.

And oh yeah... she's a babe! SHWING!
I'd eat her.
  • CJ7
  • 06-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Say what you want, bittermen. Texas and America met the next Ann Richards last night. Her name is Wendy Davis, and she's gonna lead Texas back to sanity.

And oh yeah... she's a babe! SHWING! Originally Posted by Yssup Rider

Originally Posted by CJ7
Ann Coulter called. She wants her neck back.
My bet is the OP will be absent when they do pass this law. The votes are there and I wouldn't be surprised if ol Rick calls em back for this one.
  • CJ7
  • 06-26-2013, 01:10 PM
Ann Coulter called. She wants her neck back. Originally Posted by ExNYer

Mann would like to have those tits too

. Originally Posted by ExNYer
Quid Pro Quo. She would get my vote. The Quid first.
  • CJ7
  • 06-26-2013, 03:44 PM
I thought we got rid of a bunch when the legislators ran to Oklahoma to HIDE!!!!

The Okies don't want them either!!!!

The Northern, Eastern and Western borders I hope you are mentioning.

I have always been a Democrat, and have continued to consider myself one.

As difficult as it is sometimes. Originally Posted by LexusLover

can you think of a better place to hide ,,, who in the hell goes to Oklahoma to look for Texans? better yet, who in the hell goes to Oklahoma for anything?
..., who in the hell goes to Oklahoma for anything? Originally Posted by CJ7
Me. Some of the finest civilian pussy I've had. Met me down here. Met me 1/2 way.

So I made the obligatory trip for more of the same delicious experience.

Worth every mile.
Why are guys picking on Okies? Hell, politically speaking TX and OK are one and the same. Minus Sheila Jackson though, dayum that bitch is so stupid no one will claim or stand up for her.

Oh, and I'd definitely go to TX to nail the lady Dem in a frickin heartbeat, she is a hottie