NOLA breakfast

• Mrgru
  • 12-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Myself and SO will be attended my company Christmas party Saturday night in the city! We're staying near the river end of canal. What are some good spots for early breakfast? I'm talking shrimp and grits, and shrimp and griods. Looking for suggestions that are fairly close!

TIA
Myself and SO will be attended my company Christmas party Saturday night in the city! We're staying near the river end of canal. What are some good spots for early breakfast? I'm talking shrimp and grits, and shrimp and griods. Looking for suggestions that are fairly close!

TIA Originally Posted by Mrgru
Well if you're stuck downtown Ruby Slipper isn't bad. There's one on Magazine between Canal & Poydras & they put a new one up Canal St. a ways--somewhere around Burgundy--I guess for overflow or all the tourists. I have to say this though: even though I'm a mid-City hound, best place I've been for breakfast in all of NOLA? Atchafalaya on Louisiana uptown. Frickin' amazing.

Now, if you want to venture out, Pagoda Café nearer to my part of town is very, very good: it's on N. Dorgenois & about a block North of Esplanade. Anybody who whines at your that "that part of town isn't safe!" is full of it: can you think of a BETTER time to visit a sketchy part of town than 7:00 am on a weekend morning? Trust me... I remember I had to visit a lady (for completely non-hobby legitimate reasons) years ago who lived a terrible part of Norfolk VA, but she was like, "I guarantee you show up before 10:00 on Saturday or Sunday & won't nobody mess with you... these triflin' no-goods won't be up before then."

Plus that area right there by Pagoda is fine. GREAT coffee, GREAT breakfast tacos. In good weather it's really delightful b/c you sit outside at a picnic table.
  • Mrgru
  • 12-10-2014, 09:16 PM
Thanks for those suggestions! I've always heard of a place called mothers, or moms, or something like that????
The Palace Cafe’ on Canal. Try the al-a-carte Bloody Mary Bar.
amen---Atchafalaya on Louisiana uptown.

The Ruby Slipper is good too

also you could try Surry's...catch the bus and it is worth it
Thanks for those suggestions! I've always heard of a place called mothers, or moms, or something like that???? Originally Posted by Mrgru
Well Mother's is right there @ Tchoupitoulas & Poydras but why you'd want to go to that overrated tourist-trap for breakfast, esp. when you might be hung over, is beyond me...
Mother's is pretty terrible. Ruby Slipper is a great suggestion as well as Palace Cafe. Appoline on Magazine is absolutely fantastic for brunch and has the best bloody Mary I've ever tasted. Daisy Dukes is a nice cheap option in the area. Someone suggested surrey's and I personally have never had a good experience there.
I luv luv luv Daisy Dukes.....I did get kicked out of the one next to Mr Binkys once during mardi Gras....my partner with me was drunk and beligerent {lol}...but They are awesome for breakfast!
Russell's Marina in Lakeview is also great and has huge portions.
amen---Atchafalaya on Louisiana uptown.

The Ruby Slipper is good too

also you could try Surry's...catch the bus and it is worth it Originally Posted by DallasRain
+1 Surrey's is where it's at!
What am I missing with Surrey's? Aside from the juice it's just bland garbage.
  • Mrgru
  • 12-11-2014, 04:47 PM
Wow thanks y'all. I've eaten at palace for dinner, but never breakfast. I'm sorta like a tourist. Lol. Where is uptown from the westin??
What am I missing with Surrey's? Aside from the juice it's just bland garbage. Originally Posted by loaner1231
I prefer the Latin breakfast items. Their specials in this segement tend to be really good.
ditto...