File Encryption

i realize it's sometimes necessary to keep files of a sensitive nature. you can do this with a file encryption program, and do it safely. a password for you computer is not sufficient, they can be hacked in about 5 minutes, no matter what you do. with a file encryption program you can maintain list and registers with out the possibility of prying eyes seeing them.

Tru-Crypt - is an easy to use file encryption software, free, easy to setup and use. it creates an encrypted partition on your computer, when you mount it it looks like an additional drive and is treated as such.

ok you've secured you private files, you can keep backups safely as well, i suggest a thumb drive with the same file encryption software installed on it. you can use a file synchronization software to keep your file synchronized with the same data. i suggest Always-Sync

Always-Sync - it's , free, easy to setup and use, as well. you simply tell it which folders to synchronize and it analyzes them and updates the oldest with the newest.

Tru-Crypt -
http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads

Always-Sync -
http://allwaysync.com/

keep your sensitive data out of the wrong hands !
Papa Joe - thank you for good information. I'm going to do it for an external hard drive where I keep "sensitive" information.

JaG
The above instructions are good. I want to save my personal files on a thumb drive and use it at my office or at home. Some of them may be Excel or Word files. My office system will not allow me to load any third party software. Is these programs work with the software on the thumb drive and the files are password protected? Thankd for your comments
it'll work with any file type, once the encrypted partition is opened, you can use any software to open the type files you have stored there. when you dismount the partition, all the files are encrypted again.
Thanks for your information. I will try it to save my files.
Really good thread, gentlemen. Thank you for sharing and posting the links to these programs.
Best USB thumb drive for secure storage are USB Pens or Watches.
you can get up to 8 gigs of storage on a USB because it does NOT look like a thumb drive.
I have an MP3 player This one to be specific that has 2 gigs of storage for tunes (you can get a 4 gig model for 10 bux more) but it has a slot for a MICRO SD card. And their capacities are up to 32 gigs, so yeah you might spend 50-60 for this sort of rig but it is stealthy.

Course for the ladies, THIS WATCH might be the trick.. up to 8 gigs and its a VOICE recorder!