Alarm system problem ADT Chimes

I have an ADT alarm system. In addition to the alarm, it has a chime that goes off whenever an exterior door or window is opened. Several times the chimes have sounded, even though no door or window has been opened. Turning off the chime function is not an option as this is an important function of feeling safe, even when the alarm is not set. You can imagine the accusations regarding chimes going off in the middle of the night when I am sleeping and she hears the the chimes go off (She sleeps in another room). My question is....what can cause the chimes to go off without any door or window being opened? How can the chime go off when the alarm is set without setting off the alarm? I am asleep when this happens and do not hear the chime go off.
I am having the same thing happen with door sensor but you can bypass that door so it doesnt keep make the noise..
Is your alarm hard-wired or does it use wireless devices? Was it installed during construction or after the fact? Is it a local or monitored system where perhaps (although doubtful) ADT can advise you what device is causing the alert?

c.a.
Cute handle. I have a degree or two in Anthropology.
hardwired when home built 20 years ago. can not bypass the problem as the location of the problem is unknown.
Are the sensors the magnet-type? A white block on the window and a white block on the frame. aligned up with each other? If so, this is a basic dead-man switch. Inside each of the blocks is a magnet with the connection attached. When the alarm is activated, the magnets are disabled and the connection is established; when the window is raised, the white blocks go out of alignment and the circuit is broken. Which activates the alarm.

Sorry, I digress. If your setup is as I described, a spring in one of the sensor blocks (ie white blocks aligned with each other) has probably gone bad. You can take these apart yourself or locate replacements and re-install new sensors.

If this solves your problem, the problem is caused due to pressure changes inside/outside the house and because the spring is weak it moves apart just enough that it is outside tolerances for the alignment. After twenty years this is fairly common.

Your alarm company rep probably is so new that they do not recognize this type of sensor. See if an old Tech will come out.

Long story ..... but hope it provides some help.
Here's a tip on how to narrow down the problem for a hard wired system, the doors and windows report to your alarm system by zone and it's likely one of the zones is reporting in intermittently. You can bypass one zone at a time (for aday at a time) until you identify which zone is causing the problem.

Another thing to try, the alarm system has a main control box that houses the mother board, on this board is where the zone wires terminate and it's possible one of the terminals is loose and not making good contact with the zone wires take a screw driver and tighten down all the terminals on the board. It's could also be a weak magnet on the door or window sensor but try the other items first. Gl.
Mic Jagger is spot on...
I just had mine fixed today, they had to replace wire from box to door sensor. Took all of 30 -40 and charged $100 but it works so im happy.