Don't Pay A Cab After Getting Out Of The Car

Neither health nor safety related, but a travel hazard!

Common sense really, but once in a while I forget myself and twice I've regretted it. I get out of the cab, hand him a $50, and instead of getting change I see tire streaks.

Once in Boston, once in New York.
Ugh terrible, thankfully I have not had this happen. Good sound advice.
And if your only going a block or two, don't tell them until your in the cab
Ouch!

You have a trusting soul.

This world has something for that!

And if your only going a block or two, don't tell them until your in the cab Originally Posted by terbul
Yeah, I learned that lesson in New York.

And if you're only going a short distance, tip them well!!!
ouchhhh.... I was wondering why not to do this... I guess only if you have exact or close to exact change...
Good advice.
Thanks for mentioning it.
My God!

What's in the water up in Canada?

You girls are beautiful..........
I'll remember never t try that!!
I've never done that....I prefer to pay him before he and/or I step out of the cab. I'm also the type of person to look for the cab number and/or the person's name before I get in or while i'm inside.
And if your only going a block or two, don't tell them until your in the cab Originally Posted by terbul

LMAO....my shortest cab ride ever was about 1/2 a mile distance. In my defense I had a good amount of luggage.
damn bastard doing a tourist like that...
Good thinking I think il have to remember that when im there on holiday xx
when I enter a NYcab I first note the drivers name and then when I address the driver I use his name. I ask him about himself. Just good-ol-boy from South Texas. It works so well that I have had cabbies under charge me and insist that a tip is not important. They love Texans in New York.
When working for The Post I took a cab for the full day and went from Coney Island to Pramas NJ. The bill was over 200 bucks but all I had was a hundred. I handed over the Benjamin with appoligies thinking that I was going to jail but the cabbie, who was a journilism student at Columbia said that was great because he had learned more about real journilism that day than the full last semister.
I hope he did well, his attitude was in the right place.

For the full story see Texas Monthly Sept 73 .
When in a foreign country mongering , NEVER let your luggage out of your sight or get out before the cabbie. If you can't put your suitcase in the backseat , make sure you have a backpack with your money , medicine, etc. Never has this happened to me but in costa rica i have heard horror storys.