What's up with the Astros?

Astros rip Cardinals 18-4 to extend winning streak to 7

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...b/7138134.html

Somebody wake up Strong bad!
  • RG42
  • 08-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Strong bad should be plenty happy: The Cards are still tied for the Division lead, and in the meantime the Cubs lost to Colorado 17-2, followed just three days later by an 18-1 loss to Milwaukee. Definitely no Cubs-Cards rivalry this year.
Astros rip Cardinals 18-4 to extend winning streak to 7

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...b/7138134.html

Somebody wake up Strong bad! Originally Posted by DEAR_JOHN
They're just messing with us... then we get all excited ... and they go back to breaking fans hearts ...
6 straight wins in St Louis to boot! Cards will be happy to get them out of town, that's for sure.

Baseball & hitting are such funny things..... You get a big shake-up, change your outlook on things just a little bit & a hot streak ensues. So now you've got a bunch of really young guys that have no scouting report on them & not one swinging for the fences. (17 singles with ZERO HRs) so you have opposing pitchers flooding the zone w/strikes & the young-ins just slapping it where its pitched.

That & the fact that the pitching has been pretty dominant lately doesn't hurt none either.

JaD
  • bbkid
  • 08-04-2010, 08:40 AM
now you've got a bunch of really young guys that have no scouting report on them Originally Posted by Jusanotherdude
DING DING DING !!! That will all change as they all get a few plate apperances, the league will catch up with them.

Kinda fun though to see them hitting like they have been. Too bad they're not out at MMP.
  • bbkid
  • 08-04-2010, 08:41 AM
That & the fact that the pitching has been pretty dominant lately doesn't hurt none either. Originally Posted by Jusanotherdude
Ya, that has been a welcome surprise. Looking forward to see Happ tonight.

Uh strongbad, where are ya, man?
Ya, that has been a welcome surprise. Looking forward to see Happ tonight. Originally Posted by bbkid

Yeah, I like Happ just fine.... Philly had a log-jam of Leftys in their system, and he is alot older than I thought he was for a "Prospect" (28).

Good news about the hitters tho, is that if they keep with the same approach to the plate, it will be easier to manage even when there is more info on them. Slapping singles is harder on opposing pitchers than swinging from your heels.

But young guys are fun to watch! Trying so hard to keep that jersey on their backs.

JaD
Dude.... Wouldn't it just be a little ironic if they went all the way and won the world series now?
I doubt they make it that far but like JaD said it can be fun watching a group of guys play for the right to stay on the team or even in the big leagues. Nothing to lose and everything to gain. Remember a kid by the name of Hunter Pence that was fun to watch? He played from the heart and was thrilled with the opportunity to get paid to do what he loved.
It would be nice to see them make a little noise. Teams have gone farther with less talent and more heart before.
Dude.... Wouldn't it just be a little ironic if they went all the way and won the world series now? Originally Posted by srvfin
Ha! Ironic would not be the appropriate word for that if it happened. A fucking Godly Miracle would be more reasonable.......

I doubt they make it that far but like JaD said it can be fun watching a group of guys play for the right to stay on the team or even in the big leagues. Nothing to lose and everything to gain. Remember a kid by the name of Hunter Pence that was fun to watch? He played from the heart and was thrilled with the opportunity to get paid to do what he loved.
It would be nice to see them make a little noise. Teams have gone farther with less talent and more heart before. Originally Posted by boardman
Yeah, they are FAR too far out of it, and young guys tend to fatigue towards the end of summer every level you go up. The higher up you go, the more games you play..... Rookie ball is just a shade more games than college/summer league schedules.... Single A more than Rookie..... Double A more than Single... ect... ect.... Making a splash is one thing.... sustaining is a WHOLE other. The first time you play a schedule where you play 50 games in 60 days you body starts telling you "FUCK OFF! Parts of me aren't getting up today!". And there simply just isn't the depth there to last, sadly.

However, if this team made it to .500, I think that would be HUGH for rolling into next year!

That being said..... its nice to finally have fun watching the Astros this year. Lets ride it while it lasts!

JaD
Please...Astros are going to do what they do best EVERY year.......CHOKE!!!!

As far as all these No-hitter games this season...Way to go Adderall....
Awwwww, I love the Astros no matter what they do. I was especially happy last night.
The young ones will benefit from good hitting coaches. The Rangers finally got rid of Rudy Jaramillo and they quit swinging for the fences and are much much better team.
  • bbkid
  • 08-04-2010, 08:42 PM
As far as all these No-hitter games this season...Way to go Adderall.... Originally Posted by allofamber
Wow!!! Nice to know that Amber even pays attention to baseball.

Awwwww, I love the Astros no matter what they do. I was especially happy last night. Originally Posted by RebeccaRothko

And Rebecca, too!!! Way to go ladies - I'm impressed to say the least.
[quote=bbkid;478638]Wow!!! Nice to know that Amber even pays attention to baseball.

Oh honey...I'm a motorcycle riding, beer drinking, steak eating, sport watching kind of chick.....LOL.....Now I'm waiting for the Eagles to do something this football season....(crossing all my fingers)