Help needed in the vehicle department...

As many of you know I've semi-retired as I'm finishing my last year of school and simply haven't had any free time between that and work!! Well I was leaving to go out of town for a funeral Friday and my car wouldn't start. The check engine light came on and something flashed that said fuse. I'm back in Dallas now and I don't know where to even tow it to get fixed and I definitely don't have extra money laying around. I'm worried that something is really wrong with it - I haven't had it for long and I bought it from a private seller without having a mechanic check it out (I know, I know). Does anyone run an auto shop or have connections to someone who does and can help? Maybe that can work with me on payments even?? Please email me or PM. Thanks so much in advance!!!
  • EZ.
  • 11-17-2014, 06:25 PM
Did it try to start (turn over)? Did you hear a "click" and then nothing? Did only your instrument cluster light up (saying fuse) and absolutely nothing else?
'No fuse' message usually refers to a bad iod fuse in the engine compartment.
lets start here what make year and model of car
lets start here what make year and model of car Originally Posted by skirtchaser79411
+1
Love a puzzle.
Change the air in the tires?
First off do not have the car towed to a mechanic shop where you do not know nothing about, this idea goes from bad to worse, you have two bills right away, the tow and the crooked shop.......Call or go by a place such as AutoZone and tell them what the problem is and see if the have the right fuse or part then have a friend or someone that is mechanical inclined that you trust put the part on and test the car.

This will save you a whole lot of money in the long run.....If you are planning to come out of semi-retirement please let me know.......
Have you tried turning it on and off again?
Do you have an owner's manual that describes the location and function of the fuses? If so, first (and cheapest) thing to try is locate the appropriate fuse and replace it. An auto parts store like Auto Zone or a knowledgeable friend may be able to help with this. Fuses are not usually expensive, and there may even be spares in the fuse block. If that doesn't work, definitely DO NOT pick a mechanic at random or recommended by a tow truck driver; find one that someone you know and trust has had good luck with. (Unfortunately the one I used to recommend retired.) Last resort, take it to the dealer. They're likely to get it done right, but will be more expensive and watch out for them wanting to fix extra stuff.

(Edit) Also, you can take a look at the AAA page: http://www.texas.aaa.com/home/automotive.html
Apparently you do not need to be a member to find a AAA-approved repair shop. If you do have AAA, they have some level of towing coverage also.
Probably a compound problem. Have you had to jump off the car recently because the battery died? How old is the car. If it's 3-5 years old and on the original battery, it probably needs a new battery. Jumping the car off wrong can blow some fuses and other things. Iod fuse usually controls the interior lights, radio, odometer, etc...are those working?

As far as the check engine light, Find someone with an odb reader to check the codes which will narrow down the problem.
1st : What is your general location? Need to know ify shop can help or a freind's shop.
2nd : What is the year, make and model?
3rd : There are a bunch of other questions for a semi accurate diagnosis.

It may be possible the patch it and get it going at your place, saving a tow bill.
Year, make and model would be nice to know. Not starting could be something as simple as a fuse, starter or loose connection. When is the last time you changed the oil? I can probably help but need to know more details.
Year, make and model would be nice to know. Not starting could be something as simple as a fuse, starter or loose connection. When is the last time you changed the oil? I can probably help but need to know more details. Originally Posted by xavierz21
Don't even get make and model but I will address it as best I can.

OK It's a probably a Chrysler product and it is referring you to inspect the fuses under the hood. read your manual it's easy. Bad? you should follow below instructions and replace fuse when reinstalling battery or if if fuse is good, you should just reinstall the good fuse securely and still do below.

What you need to do is to remove the battery, inspect the date code for build date B-1 B=2 followed by year. So D/12 would be April of 2012. It's on a sticker or stamped on the battery. If it is less that 2 years old then look for the receipt and try to take it to where it was sold but one way or another get it charges and tested as most parts stores do this for free. If it tests good reinstall and see if it starts. If it does take it back to the parts store and have the starting and charging systems tested, if it doesn't ask the manager where he recommends you take it to, again free.

If testing says it needs an alternator ask if the store knows someone who can install it as a "shadetree" or as a fair priced shop and get a price for the part so you keep the shop honest. They will mark it up some but they have to in able to cover expenses and offer warranty.

Let me know if something else arises or if this simple sequence of tests took care of your problem.