That hole in the wall.

No I'm not referring to glory holes.
I'm talking about those little unassuming hideaway restaurants that haven't been shut down by corporate giants who serve frozen micro-waved shit.
I'll share some of mine from my neck of the woods and ya'll feel free to also.
1.Antonini's subs:Highway 3 and medical center. In a strip center at that intersection but it only says "subs". My favorites, Cheesesteak and Meatball. Both are equal and generous subs. He uses freshly sliced prime rib with provolone and this pepper relish. I cancel the grilled onions as I've never liked them. The meatball, handmade in a special meat sauce that I don't know how he gets the meat so finely shredded. People will know what you had because the garlic will announce your arrival. Trust me, this is not to be eaten prior to a session. Also since its handmade he only makes a set amount so once its gone your SOL for the day.
City Cafe:Near the corner of Highway 3 and College. Homemade grits, kickass frenchtoast and delicious pork chops. Gyro's for lunch not open for dinner. Closed on sundays.
Little Sicily's: Down Scarsdale going west from 45. Great subs and home of the 10lb pizza. That's right 10lbs. The BBW of pizzas! Each slice is approximately 1 and half pounds. Perfect for football game parties.
Thelma's BBQ: definitively possibly arguably the BEST BBQ in houston. Not sure of the exact location but somewhere off Pease St. Nothing on the menu is anything less than excellent. Cheap prices and large portions her catfish, brisket, sausage is muy bueno! But she only makes a certain amount a day. So show up late and you'll be hitting brick's empty handed and hungry stomach. I advise you show up at 10:30AM. Why? That's when the line starts forming when she opens at 11AM. I shit you not. Once the door opens its a continuous line out the door in an assembly line of order, get your food, pay and move on. So help you God if you don't know what you want before its your turn! Limited seating also makes it beneficial for an early arrival. Don't believe me about this place? Well don't try the food just read her articles about being featured on multiple food channel shows and publications.
So here are a few of my faves. What ya'll got?
Lankfords on 88 Dennis street in mid town.. the chicken fried steak is killer
No I'm not referring to glory holes. Originally Posted by Out_of_Bounds
fucking tease.
the original Barnaby's off Fairview

Around the World Snap Biyches
  • adi
  • 10-21-2011, 09:19 PM
Burns bbq on shepherd was in acres homes
langfords in midtown
brothers pizzeria hwy 6
ninfas on navigation
alamo tamales on berry rd. (the home made ones)
Bills Cafe off loop 494 in Kingwood.

The $30---60 ounce steak is something to behold. Bring a friend or two.
Mama's Cafe on Westhiemer
$30, 60oz steak? I'm going to have to try that out.
Reminds me of that place just outside of amarillo I'd pass when I'd commute her to denver for school breaks.
The rattlesnake I believe it was called.
72oz steak all for free if eaten in an hour.
Never had the scratch or time to stop and try. I was just a poor college student then.
$30, 60oz steak? I'm going to have to try that out.
Reminds me of that place just outside of amarillo I'd pass when I'd commute her to denver for school breaks.
The rattlesnake I believe it was called.
72oz steak all for free if eaten in an hour.
Never had the scratch or time to stop and try. I was just a poor college student then. Originally Posted by Out_of_Bounds

There's a place in San Marcos call Montana Mike's if you want a family sized plate of sirloin steaks for a good price.

+10 on Brother's Pizza, also two or 3 other locations, Greenspoint, Mills & Perry, and maybe another.

Antonio's on Hillcroft. Best Pizza besides Brother's. Also good Italian.

Don Cafe on Bellaire in Chinatown for the bestBánh mě.

Tornado Burger in Stafford.

The Ranchito Taqueria. A few locations around town. Jalisco style Mexican Food.

And of course, Frank's Grill for breakfast.

Rubios Fish Tacos CA--im sorry just got a craving yumm
fish heads fish heads rolly polly fish heads
fish heads fish heads eat them up yumm
Thelma's is now on Scott near MacGregor. Spaghetti Western on Shepherd south of I10.
ninfas on navigation Originally Posted by adi
Ninfa's is back to only the original location now? They tried to expand, guess it didn't work out. Best fried ice cream I've ever had in my life.
  • Seedy
  • 10-22-2011, 07:36 AM
Bills Cafe off loop 494 in Kingwood.

The $30---60 ounce steak is something to behold. Bring a friend or two. Originally Posted by O'Mike
Use to go there all the time when I lived in Kingwood back in the 80's, lousy salad greasy fries, one hell of a steak!!
Some of my other favorite places are Mai's on Milam, great viet, chinese chow, PhoDung, viet noodle soup place in the Hong Kong center on Bellaire

Barry's Pizza on richmond, Sicaly pizza is 2 blocks from my house, the pizza is fuckin emormous, and "heavy " as hell..LOL. I like Spring Creek BBQ, based out of Dallas, but always good, and the homemade rolls they bring to your table are fuckin great.
  • bbkid
  • 10-22-2011, 12:38 PM
I eat lunch at "the city" all the time. Thats City Cafe in South Houston for all you northerners. Great food and service!

Italian Pie on Spencer hwy in Pasadena has really good food.
the original Barnaby's off Fairview Originally Posted by deanna_bell69
I believe they actually have a real glory hole there. A hole-in-the-wall with a hole in the wall!