German Speaking Eccie Members ?

4th of July, Independence Day, part of the U.S.A were settled by German speaking immigrants. Makes me wonder how many here speak German as a native language, or fluently as an additional language.

Would love read where "we" all are and hope to see some providers come out who naturally scream "Oh Mein Gott" oder "Fick Mich"
and may be we can all have a good old German dialogue (would drive the Mods crazyyyyy).

Howdy y'all, a native speaking German here in Austin, TX
Well, my grandfather spoke German - but it didn't help him out any.
contrary to popular belief most of the nation is of german descent land wise atleast.

see the attachment.
Attached Images File Type: png vlcsnap-2013-01-13-14h32m07s187.png (380.1 KB, 173 views)
Hola I live in Mexico City, und sprehe ein bishien deutsch. Love the hobby and Texas Girls beside my Dallas Cowboys, happy 4 th
most of us lied on the census forms just to fuck with them , dont believe everything LOL
didn't a vote way back in the 1700's to make german the official language of the u.s. fail by only one vote or something like that?
Sexy white girl in longview tx looking for fun
most of us lied on the census forms just to fuck with them , dont believe everything LOL Originally Posted by LaStang
its pretty easy to tell someones ancestry by their last names. granted some people change it but every person i have met from the midwest had german names so yes i believe it. if you look at the map its pretty obvious germans came here to farm.. it might not be 110% accurate but its pretty damn close if you understand the way the country was settled over the past 200 years.
contrary to popular belief most of the nation is of german descent land wise atleast.

see the attachment. Originally Posted by joesmo888
That map only highest ancestries by county (from the looks of it), not as a total in the country.

So, you could conceivably have an ancestry like Mexican be higher due to the much larger populations in states like California and Texas.

Also another possibility would be to have an ancestry have second highest in every county and thus still be the highest total percentage.
A lot of germans also emigrated to the US in the 1870s when Bismark (sp?) unified germany from numerous principalities. Those against the unification and bismark's politics were able to leave, which left germany with nationalist power hungries which eventually gave birth to the German nationalism that gave birth to military machine of ww1 and ww2.

I am a decendant of one of those who was advantaged by the principalities, and disadvantaged by the unification of germany.

Concerning speaking german, it was not encouraged in many german households, as it would not popular in america during the world wars to be speaking german. Germans also prefer to assimilate into the cultures more so than other nationalities and felt is duty to learn the language.
That is some great info y'all are putting out here. THX, I love it.

So far it seems I am unique though ... that's ok, just reaching out in case there are some others...
My ex-husband's grandparents were from a part of Texas that was heavily settled by Germans and they spoke German as a primary language. I always felt so helpless. His grandmother spoke very little English.
That map only highest ancestries by county (from the looks of it), not as a total in the country.

So, you could conceivably have an ancestry like Mexican be higher due to the much larger populations in states like California and Texas.

Also another possibility would be to have an ancestry have second highest in every county and thus still be the highest total percentage. Originally Posted by jbravo_123
correct. if 32% are mexican, 30% german, 15% brit etc then the county would highlight as mexican

the county i live in for example is african american, however blacks are NOT the majority in my county. but they are the most of any ethnicity. you will be hard pressed to find a county that was 50%+ of any ethnicity anyway since we are a melting pot
Ich kann Deutch, aber es ist nicht meine Muttersprache. Ich habe eine paar jahre in Osterreich gelebt.