New Sandbox Proposal - Your input is requested

An idea is currently being bandied about creating a thread or threads here, where the standard board rules would apply. In other words these particular threads would be more closely moderated by your crack Sandbox Mod team as per the normal board rules, and offending posts either tossed and/or points/warnings issued. The words of one anonymous proposer say it better than I can:

I would like to have a thread that is devoid of stupid, obnoxious, non related postings. Is it possible to start something that I would call "Big Ideas" like Global Warming, Gun Control, Abortion, etc that someone (like the original poster) could have the afore mentioned problem posts deleted? The point is that this may train some people to stay on target, not make stupid comments that have nothing to do with the topic, and not be insulting for the sole purpose of being insulting.
Before any decisions are made in this regard I bring it to you, the members and users of this forum for a discussion.

These new threads would be separate from the normal BS here, and be identified as such. The other threads (and future threads) would continue as we have been doing them for quite a while now.

We believe there are more than a few people that would welcome an argumentative thread(s) without the name calling so that ideas can be bantered back and forth without the degrading effect that some choose to interject.

Since this forum has became a bit of a rebel and proving ground for new ideas, it's quite an intriguing proposition and we are interested in your opinions. Please give your comments and questions and your vote, yes or no, above.
Where's the option for "Enough is enough, already! I want to see less name-calling on ALL threads!"
Fucking stupid...like you could moderate "friendliness" even if you had a "rule" abut it..
Where's the option for "Enough is enough, already! I want to see less name-calling on ALL threads!" Originally Posted by Sidewinder
Same here.

There are several regular posters who virtually never offer anything of substance and are here primarily to insult and annoy others.
I occasionally start reading a thread here because the subject interests me. It usually isn't long before I click off of it due to the incessant insults and name calling that have nada to do with the OP's original intent.

My suggestion is to tighten down on the Sandbox rules and start another forum entitled something like: General BS-No Holds Barred. The whiners, name callers, and insulters will have some place to go and practice what they appear to be good at. The rest of us can just stay away. Works very well on another site I belong to, non hobby related.
  • oden
  • 04-07-2013, 08:36 AM
I am all for substantive debate. The name calling and personal attacks detract from this and the original subject is quickly derailed.
Create a Politics & Religion forum, and let 'em have at it in there, no holds barred.
Oh please do so this forum can be as dull as the rest.

What is life worth if you can't throw a little slap and tickle on Yssup, LS and WTF
Agreed Bojulay, but the throw down opportunities would still be there as they are now. The proposal is for additional threads.
Agreed Bojulay, but the throw down opportunities would still be there as they are now. The proposal is for additional threads. Originally Posted by Chica Chaser
I don't particularly care for the concept of having some threads where civility rules the day and some threads where it is pretty much the sky is the limit (as it is now).

The National Sandbox should be one or the other, not both. I prefer to leave it like it is but truthfully it doesn't matter to me either way. Just let us know the rules and we can either play by them or move on.

Just my 2 cents!
Agreed Bojulay, but the throw down opportunities would still be there as they are now. The proposal is for additional threads. Originally Posted by Chica Chaser
Seems you would need a whole new forum or a lot of points and
warnings would get handed out, and make a mods life a lot tougher.

I don't think mixing the two on the same forum would work very well.

Might be worth a try though.

JMHO
Yes, definitely yes.

There way too much hostility on the board as it is and it serves no purpose.

. . . I know it seems like an alien concept to some, but only because spewing garbage is all they know
. Many people just have their circuits totally mis-wired!

A question arises.

Who decides whether a new thread is "anything goes" or "civil discussion only, OR ELSE!"?
  • Seedy
  • 04-07-2013, 05:27 PM
I don't particularly care for the concept of having some threads where civility rules the day and some threads where it is pretty much the sky is the limit (as it is now).

The National Sandbox should be one or the other, not both. I prefer to leave it like it is but truthfully it doesn't matter to me either way. Just let us know the rules and we can either play by them or move on.

Just my 2 cents! Originally Posted by bigtex
Seems you would need a whole new forum or a lot of points and
warnings would get handed out, and make a mods life a lot tougher.

I don't think mixing the two on the same forum would work very well.

Might be worth a try though.

JMHO Originally Posted by bojulay
CC, I think these two guys are correct. Give it go if you must, but are you going to enforce the rules, and spank some folks HARD?. That would be the only way it would work.

Yes, definitely yes.

There way too much hostility on the board as it is and it serves no purpose.

. . . I know it seems like an alien concept to some, but only because spewing garbage is all they know
. Many people just have their circuits totally mis-wired!

Originally Posted by Fast Gunn
And then you have sociopaths like this, how many threads, in both national forums, and Houston forums does he attack folks for no good reason at all. And wonders why we rag his sorry ass, what a tool. The pot calling the kettle black.
A question arises.

Who decides whether a new thread is "anything goes" or "civil discussion only, OR ELSE!"? Originally Posted by Sidewinder
Me, The Col, EA and LAStang would, and they would be noted appropriately

CC, I think these two guys are correct. Give it go if you must, but are you going to enforce the rules, and spank some folks HARD?. That would be the only way it would work. Originally Posted by seedman55
Of course, my point bank is really full and needs some withdrawls made, LOL! Those threads would be moderated just like any other thread on the site is now...mostly.

Seriously though, I don't know how it would all work out. Thats why I brought it out here for discussion, you guys are the ones that have to live with it.