As Greece goes, so shall Puerto Rico?

Puerto Rico (not a state) is on the verge of declaring bankruptcy from $ 72 billion in debts. So who will bail them out? Number one answer!!! US! As in United States and the taxpayers. Can California be far behind? May I suggest that they put on a show in PR. Let Rose Perez, Chita Rivera, Marc Anthony, Erik Estrada, J Lo, Rita Moreno, and Zoe Saldana could put on quite a show. Or maybe they could just all chip in to bail them out. In the meantime, I leave you with this....

Ooops, how did she get in there?
Greece will soon be a zombie economy...........the Greek government's mismanagement had EVERYTHING to do with wealth redistribution. The Greeks thought they could continue with their welfare state and the rest of Europe would pay for it. That bullshit came to a halt. Brussels (seat of the EU) has no stomach to make Portugal pay the pensioners in Greece.
“How can something like this happen without prior warning?” asked Angeliki Psarianou, a 67-year-old retired public servant, who stood in the drizzle after arriving too late at one empty ATM in the Greek capital.
No warning? Retired public servant? But, but . . . how can we run out of other people’s money?
  • WTF
  • 06-29-2015, 05:18 PM
“How can something like this happen without prior warning?” asked Angeliki Psarianou, a 67-year-old retired public servant, who stood in the drizzle after arriving too late at one empty ATM in the Greek capital.
No warning? Retired public servant? But, but . . . how can we run out of other people’s money? Originally Posted by Whirlaway
Same thing is happening to this country with Crony Capitalism we can just print more money.

As to JD's comment about Cali....it's problem (and the country) will be water. Water will be this country's biggest problem , next to ignorant folks like JD.
PR has debt of $72 billion, but the population is only 3.5 million. That is more than $20K for every man, woman and child on the island. A family of four has public debt of $80K.

What is God's name did they do with all that money? It's not like they have an army. Or a Navy. Or an air force. Or a transcontinental railroad system. Or an interstate highway system.

Maybe we should let them still their creditors. How could anyone have been stupid enough to loan them more money once their debt got up to around, say, $10 billion?

They deserve each other.
  • DSK
  • 06-29-2015, 09:15 PM
Same thing is happening to this country with Crony Capitalism we can just print more money.

As to JD's comment about Cali....it's problem (and the country) will be water. Water will be this country's biggest problem , next to ignorant folks like JD. Originally Posted by WTF
Ever seen the Great Lakes or the Mississippi River?

Don't you people in Houston get swamped on a regular basis?

We have plenty of water, just not in the California desert. They need to suck it out of the ocean and purify it. They will probably figure out a way to get the Feds to pay for it.

Same shit would have happened to us as befell the Greeks long ago if we couldn't print money. Which I'm in favor of, BTW.

That last girl with the painted on dress was magnificent.
  • WTF
  • 06-29-2015, 09:30 PM
Ever seen the Great Lakes or the Mississippi River?

Don't you people in Houston get swamped on a regular basis?

We have plenty of water, just not in the California desert. . Originally Posted by DSK
Do you understand where the majority of our fruits and nuts are grown? It ain't near the Great Lakes nor near the Mississippi River.

http://www.newsweek.com/california-d...ed-know-347337

PR has debt of $72 billion, but the population is only 3.5 million. That is more than $20K for every man, woman and child on the island. A family of four has public debt of $80K.

What is God's name did they do with all that money? It's not like they have an army. Or a Navy. Or an air force. Or a transcontinental railroad system. Or an interstate highway system.

Maybe we should let them still their creditors. How could anyone have been stupid enough to loan them more money once their debt got up to around, say, $10 billion?

They deserve each other. Originally Posted by ExNYer
I was married to a Puerto Rican woman for nearly 20 years. Around 1992 I read in a San Juan English newspaper that the US govt gave enough money to the PR Dept of Agriculture to buy everyone $600 in groceries that year. This is on an island where you could buy 10 oranges for a dollar all day long.

It's all corruption and there's been really no threat from Cuba since 1975.
Fuck 'em. If they were smart they'd insist on statehood, but they aren't. Or we aren't. Why buy the cow when you are getting the milk for free?
Same shit would have happened to us as befell the Greeks long ago if we couldn't print money. Which I'm in favor of. Originally Posted by DSK
You need to learn a lesson about scarcity. There more there is of something, the less it is worth. There will come a time when there is so much money in circulation, it will be worthless. Read about pre-WWII Germany.
  • DSK
  • 06-30-2015, 04:34 AM
You need to learn a lesson about scarcity. There more there is of something, the less it is worth. There will come a time when there is so much money in circulation, it will be worthless. Read about pre-WWII Germany. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
I agree it will eventually be that way. In the meantime, why should I pay more in taxes to a government that oppresses me? I'd rather they tax me less, oppress everyone less, and leave me and my bakery alone.
  • DSK
  • 06-30-2015, 04:35 AM
Do you understand where the majority of our fruits and nuts are grown? It ain't near the Great Lakes nor near the Mississippi River.

http://www.newsweek.com/california-d...ed-know-347337
Originally Posted by WTF
Do you realize this country has more fruits and nuts than it will ever need?
Do you realize this country has more fruits and nuts than it will ever need? Originally Posted by DSK
Do you realize you're arguing with an idiot?
  • WTF
  • 06-30-2015, 08:15 AM
Do you realize this country has more fruits and nuts than it will ever need? Originally Posted by DSK
Just because you're a fruity nut, don't mean we all are!

In 2012 Puerto Rico had a referendum on statehood or separating from the US as a territory in preparations of either becoming a state or becoming independent. It went down in defeat 54 to 46 percent. The people of Puerto Rica like the deal they have and see no reason to change.
I agree it will eventually be that way. In the meantime, why should I pay more in taxes to a government that oppresses me? I'd rather they tax me less, oppress everyone less, and leave me and my bakery alone. Originally Posted by DSK
So will you be the bakery that woomby and shammy will be using for their wedding cake ? Their "best man" assup and their bridesmaid lil cotex said that they will be wanting a penis shaped cake with " thick brown frosting " on most of the cake with" runny white cream" frosting around the "head" area of the cake. And "rainbow colored frosting" on the cupcakes that they'll be forcing on the kids in attendance. Or will your bakery be down for "repairs" all during that time ?