Thinking of visiting Galveston???

Hello friends,
I'm thinking of visiting Galveston next month (March 16-19th).
Not sure if there is a market for me. I'm not even sure if Houston is the correct area to ask for information regarding Galveston (where to stay, restaurants, etc.)
Any information you can send my way would be so helpful.
Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.
Welcome to our area. Houston is close enough to post here. I don't even know if Galveston has its own board. (?)

Why have you picked Galveston? Is it our lovely beachfronts? Or Mardi Gras? Or the spring break that is quickly approaching?

Welcome to town and I'm sure somebody around here will steer you in the right direction for lodging, locale, etc.

Let me know when your in.
I lived in Galveston (45 miles sw of downtown Houston, down I-45) temporarily for 6 months (and I worked in Downtown Houston)when I moved to the Houston area ... although there are a few nice parts of town, it is mostly a Ghetto, especially since Hurricane Ike 1 1/2 years ago. I was in Galveston about a month or so ago (my daughter had a soccer tournement at Ball HS ... even that area was a dump. They have a spring break thing (sponsored by AA college fraternities, etc) I made it a point to stay out of the area during that week ... a lot of locals do the same thing.

If your purpose is to come to the area to make money ... Galveston is not the best place to be.

If you are determined to stay in Galveston, stay on a place on the seawall across from the beach. The best place is the San Luis Resort.
I also lived in Galveston, great place to visit but not to work. LEO is extremely active here and likes to make fast introductions. NEB was right about the community here still being depressed. 30% of the population still has not moved back, walmart closes at midnight so if you want to buy anything you have to go to Walgreens.
Spring break used to be pretty wild but with everyone partying its hard to find a guy who hobbies since alot of it that weekend is free.
Kappa weekend is shortly afterward, which is the AA frat that hosts what used to be "Freak Fest" in Atlanta, unfortunately alot of trash that is not related to the frat comes to town with it, all the local businesses on the seawall lock their doors that weekend.
If you are wanting to be near the beach Houston is only an hour away. Clear Lake is very nice and about in the middle between Galveston and Houston.
Hope the info helps.
Gaidos is good food.

San Luis is a great Hotel....a lot of history with it.

You are better off somewhere else if you are looking for something for spring break.

If you are stuck because some idiot in your family got a good deal on a condo, just mossy up I-45 and advertise p4p in Clearlake while you are in Galveston......30 minutes north of Galveston.
Other the Than San Luis pool, it's as close as I get to getting in the water in Galveston.....Almost every year there is some sort of flesh eating bacteria in water. I don't even think it has a decent draft for a boat. Ramps maybe... The yacht club is in the little town before you hit Galveston. Kemah has a nice yacht basin...I ramble...Galveston is seedy....gross
Come to the Fucking prophet, sweetness..........we will wash those bad memories away with blue water.
I live and work in Galveston (a resident for past 30 years). Galveston is a nice place to visit but not for hobby work. I think you would be better off to take appt. near Clear Lake if you decide to come down here.

We are still recovering from Hurricane Ike and will be doing so for a while longer.
San Luis is a great Hotel....a lot of history with it. Originally Posted by dearhunter
Unless you have fond memories of the Brandon Backe punch up... I think you mean the Hotel Galvez. It's been around since the early 1900s. Lived there for several months in 1989 when I was down there for work. Nice place!