erasing history

https://townhall.com/columnists/walt...story-n2340107

Rewriting American history is going to be challenging.

one has to wonder what the revisionistas are going replace that history with?
https://townhall.com/columnists/walt...story-n2340107

Rewriting American history is going to be challenging.

one has to wonder what the revisionistas are going replace that history with? Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
I am a Southerner. Born in Alabama. That's about as Southern as you can get.

But I am an American first.

We have the priveledge of looking back at History and seeing the mistakes. In 1861, there I was a belief held by many that an individual's loyalty to a State trumped his loyalty to the Country as a whole. This was proven in Lee's famous statement that he could not "bear arms" against his home, Virginia.

It took a horrible and bloody war to erase this line of thinking. Many have said that before the War, the Country was referred to in the plural, "these United States". After the War, it became singular, "The United States".

However, it took four Decades after the War for Congress to officially address the issue, Officially, we are "The United States".

I look at it this way. I am first and foremost an American. Then I am a Texan. After that, I am a Southerner.

As a Southerner, I can applauded the courage of those that fought and died for their beliefs. As an American, I can applauded the courage and fortitude that my Country, The United States, took to preserve our great Union.

I agree with the statement made by General Longstreet in the movie "Gettysburg". ......."The South should have freed the Slaves, and THEN fired on Fort Sumter".

History looks favorably on those who maintain the moral high ground.

I
History is replete with mistakes and admiration for the wrong cause or individual. World War I is a good example. Why did we fight the Germans? They were not evil, they were not Nazis, and the largest ethnic group in the United States were the Germans. The Germans were no worse than the English or the French but they became the HATED enemy.
Napoleon believed in overthrowing the monarchies of Europe and creating a form of republicanism. Why is he the bad guy. Seems like we have more in common with Napoleon than we had with Wellington.
Southerners fought for a cause. For some it was slavery for others it was defending their home (state). One reason that Virginia seceded was that South Carolina was on the hit list for Lincoln and to get to South Carolina Lincoln would have to go through Virginia to get there. As for the moral question, a lot of historians believe that Lincoln set up South Carolina with a armed resupply of Fort Sumter. Up until that point the siege was very civil. The federal troops would go into Charleston and visit with the locals. President Buchanan refused to aggravate the situation which left Sumter with few soldiers. Lincoln sent an armed convey with troops to hold the fort. This prompted the south to end the siege. By firing on Sumter the South become the aggressor giving Lincoln the moral high ground.

So what am I today? I am an American, a Missourian, a veteran, and an individual. Those are my allegiances.