[Local News] Bow Hunting Deer in Riverview and Frick Parks

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) - Two of Pittsburgh's parks today will be full of hunters trying to cull the city's large deer population.

It's the first day of controlled bow deer hunting in both Riverview and Frick Parks in Pittsburgh.

This, of course, is the measure the city decided on to control the exploding population of white-tailed deer that they said is causing a lot of problems.

Now, this is a pilot program for deer management, according to the city.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/n...hs-city-parks/

Will be interesting to see if this is effective and low-issue.

Anyone here participating?
I saw a post on Reddit about it. There was some animal rights woman who was posting "save the animals" flyers around Shadyside or Squirrel Hill, and an Ecologist pointed out how wrong she was , and how over-grazed the parks are, non-native plants are taking over, and how the deer are kind of scrawny. Which they are. This ecologist also pointed out, since there are no natural predators around, its up to us to keep the deer population in check.
  • Devo
  • 10-01-2023, 12:05 PM
Archery is a cruel way to kill anything, I am set up to cull animals at night, both light amplification, PVS-14 and PVS-7 and thermal scope, so, its a spotter shooter set up.

Multiple calibers from 300BLK to 308, including pistols, suppressed.

I considered it back when they were culling around Mt. Lebanon IIRC, and the cities were paying 200 dollars per deer culled.

But the program was a total shitshow, from the wrong caliber being used, to the deer being dumped intstead of processed for the foodbanks.

There are going to be lots of rotting corpses of deer, but, that's a city problem, not my concern.

Come to think of it, Pittsburgh is pretty much a rotting corpse, so.