Carroll Shelby dies at the age of 89

How sad. What a great man.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/stor...-Cobra-051112/

Carroll Shelby, the legendary auto racer and car designer who built the fabled Shelby Cobra sports car and injected testosterone into Ford's Mustang and Chrysler's Viper, has died. He was 89.

Shelby's company, Carroll Shelby International, said Friday that Shelby died a day earlier at a Dallas hospital. He had received a heart transplant in 1990 and a kidney transplant in 1996.

He was one of the nation's longest-living heart transplant recipients, having received a heart on June 7, 1990, from a 34-year-old man who died of an aneurism. Shelby also received a kidney transplant in 1996 from his son, Michael.

The 1992 inductee into the Automobile Hall of Fame had homes in Los Angeles and his native east Texas.

The one-time chicken farmer had more than a half-dozen successful careers during his long life. Among them: champion race car driver, racing team owner, automobile manufacturer, automotive consultant, safari tour operator, raconteur, chili entrepreneur and philanthropist.

Very sad day. He will be missed and his legacy will never be forgotten.
The price on those classic Shelby's are about to go thru the fucking roof.............

Ike your right. I own a 68 Cobra with his signature and date on the dash. He is an ICON
Ike your right. I own a 68 Cobra with his signature and date on the dash. He is an ICON Originally Posted by kowboy6
Lucky man!
I own a cobra to bad it's a Hot Wheel 1/64 scale.
It was a sad day, for all of us.
He was full of Imagination that changed the racing and auto industry for ever.
RIP my friend...
Yes, very sad. The man was an innovative genius. I read an article on him last year in which he stated his landmark achievement was sticking it to Ferrari back in the day, with a lot less money and a less experienced team. His name will always be synonymous with racing. Gone but not forgotten.
He could have never stuck it to Ferrari without the help of Henry Ford ll. Ballsy guy though.
Anything with his name on it is about to go through the roof! Better get a newer Shelby Mustang while you can.
Sad to hear we lost a legend in the car world. I was lucky enough to have an annaversary cobra which my first divorce forced me to sell. Thank you for everything carroll and thouts go out to the family.