Belmont Stakes Just Won't be The Same

The fact that I'll Have Another was scratched just brings down today's Belmont Stakes. I was geared up to catch this great race, and see a triple crown, but all the wind has left the sails of excitement.

Half inclined to watch, but it sucks when the one aspect of an event you want to watch was taken out of the equation. Screws up my betting, too.
  • SCBOY
  • 06-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Why was the horse scratched from the race?
Why was the horse scratched from the race? Originally Posted by SCBOY
I'll Have Another had a "leg injury" that came up yesterday - I caught the news on bloodhorse.com then si.com and just when "lord, I hope this is an incorrect rumor gone wild." But, Blood Horse is such a great industry journal on horse racing that I knew it had to be true.

I really was looking forward to a great race - it still will be a good race, but I think it would have been (obviously) great with a Triple Crown on the line.
Or, it could be that the Horse is worth much more as a Derby and Preakness winner and a drop out at the Belmont than a Derby and Preakness winner with a big defeat in the Belmont.

They can now always say, "yes, he could have won it all".

I have a question? They are saying the Horses racing days are over. Even with all of the modern medical knowledge at their disposal, they can't cure tendinitis?

The fact is, once again, the horse, in order to hold breeding value as a stud, simply cannot afford to loose. Not racing, (and not winning), is not the same as loosing.
Or, it could be that the Horse is worth much more as a Derby and Preakness winner and a drop out at the Belmont than a Derby and Preakness winner with a big defeat in the Belmont.

They can now always say, "yes, he could have won it all".

I have a question? They are saying the Horses racing days are over. Even with all of the modern medical knowledge at their disposal, they can't cure tendinitis?

The fact is, once again, the horse, in order to hold breeding value as a stud, simply cannot afford to loose. Not racing, (and not winning), is not the same as loosing. Originally Posted by Jackie S

Valid point, and you thusly read correctly between my lines when I placed "leg injury" as I did in quotation marks. You saw this the same way I did - which was sad, only because I wanted to have a Triple Crown. Makes it more exciting, and gets more American viewers into the mix.

I love this sport.
It was a great race despite I'll Have Another's defection. The trifecta paid a lot more than I thought it would.
It was a great race despite I'll Have Another's defection. The trifecta paid a lot more than I thought it would. Originally Posted by Nasalstrip
I will grant that - did you do exacta, wheel, or box?
At the end of the day, it's just horse racing. ESPN is such Fuck for trying to get people interested in shit like that and women's basketball, tennis, golf, etc...

The only reason to watch horse racing is for gambling purposes.
At the end of the day, it's just horse racing. ESPN is such Fuck for trying to get people interested in shit like that and women's basketball, tennis, golf, etc...

The only reason to watch horse racing is for gambling purposes. Originally Posted by TheDon
Well, some may not like it, but to be honest, I follow it because I like the sport in general. It may be just horse racing to some, but to some it's a good sport. The majestic nature of the horse, the power of the race, the competency of the jockey, it's fun to some.
Well, that's good, I have nothing against the sport, or the fans of it. But I just find it annoying when people all of a sudden care about things that they usually don't care about because they're seeing the media coverage on tv. But you don't apparently fall into this category.

For what it's worth I've watched a couple of movies about jocks and horse racing, so I can see the appeal of the game. Respect.
Well, that's good, I have nothing against the sport, or the fans of it. But I just find it annoying when people all of a sudden care about things that they usually don't care about because they're seeing the media coverage on tv. But you don't apparently fall into this category.

For what it's worth I've watched a couple of movies about jocks and horse racing, so I can see the appeal of the game. Respect. Originally Posted by TheDon
It's good stuff - I think the challenge is what I call the "language barrier" with it - people hear things and it makes it sound foreign to many when folks start sputtering out "post" and "furlong" and "fast track" and the like. Having been following and into it for a while, I remember learning from the beginning and going through the learning curve.

It's daunting, but once you start to follow, it is a lot of fun.
I know what you mean, I follow POKER. Although I don't consider it a sport. And they air a ton of it on ESPN. I feel bad for the people that don't follow it, either, that have to see the coverage.

I'm sure I could follow, Hell, I watched a lot soccer last summer lol.