THE GREAT AMERICAN CULT: MORMONISM

It’s Official: Mormon Founder Had Up to 40 Wives

"Mormon leaders have acknowledged for the first time that the church’s founder and prophet, Joseph Smith, portrayed in church materials as a loyal partner to his loving spouse Emma, took as many as 40 wives, some already married and one only 14 years old."

Not as crazy scary as the Scientology cult, but....

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/11/us...-40-wives.html
When are you joining up whirlagay?
I have no beef with the Mormons, I may not agree with their beliefs but they seem to be decent folk
I agree.

I have no beef with the Mormons, I may not agree with their beliefs but they seem to be decent folk Originally Posted by RALPHEY BOY
It’s Official: Mormon Founder Had Up to 40 Wives

"Mormon leaders have acknowledged for the first time that the church’s founder and prophet, Joseph Smith, portrayed in church materials as a loyal partner to his loving spouse Emma, took as many as 40 wives, some already married and one only 14 years old."

Not as crazy scary as the Scientology cult, but....

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/11/us...-40-wives.html Originally Posted by Whirlaway
I like this line, "The essay on “plural marriage” in the early days of the Mormon movement in Ohio and Illinois says polygamy was commanded by God, revealed to Smith and accepted by him and his followers only very reluctantly"

I suppose I could "very reluctantly" take on several more wives if they were 18 years old, skinny, pretty, and with long dark hair and looked Jewish!!
I like this line, "The essay on “plural marriage” in the early days of the Mormon movement in Ohio and Illinois says polygamy was commanded by God, revealed to Smith and accepted by him and his followers only very reluctantly"

I suppose I could "very reluctantly" take on several more wives if they were 18 years old, skinny, pretty, and with long dark hair and looked Jewish!! Originally Posted by Jewish Lawyer
Like Sammy Davis Jr??

I suppose I could "very reluctantly" take on several more wives if they were 18 years old, skinny, pretty, and with long dark hair and looked Jewish!! Originally Posted by Jewish Lawyer
Or Cambodian...
Ole Joseph Smith and Muhammad could have partied well together, although rumor has it Ole Muhammad preferred them even younger.

It's good to be a Prophet when you can make up your on rules.
Listen...Catholics are nuts too.
Like Sammy Davis Jr?? Originally Posted by i'va biggen
A "wife" is a female, so Sammy Davis, Jr., while perhaps your type, could not have joined my harem.
Or Cambodian... Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
or Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Latina, Russian, Italian, Swedish - as long as she is young (18+) pretty, long hair, skinny....
40 wives, maybe. 40 mothers-in-law?
or Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Latina, Russian, Italian, Swedish - as long as she is young (18+) pretty, long hair, skinny.... Originally Posted by Jewish Lawyer
Like you?

strangely enough, this brings up the issue of same sex marriage

and how the courts have changed since the 19th century and the three big polygamy cases of that era....

homosexual relations once mainly illegal in the various states now find favor

while polygamy, made illegal in the territories and castigated by the supreme court, may find a friend in the same sex marriage arena and associated rulings

in great style, the supreme court ruled:

"Certainly no legislation can be supposed more wholesome and necessary in the founding of a free, self-governing commonwealth . . .
than that which seeks to establish it on the basis of the idea of the family, as consisting in and springing from the
union for life of one man and one woman in the holy estate of matrimony; the sure foundation of all that is
stable and noble in our civilization; the best guaranty of that reverent morality which is the source of all beneficent
progress in social and political improvement.’’
and in another of the cases:
"The tale is one of patience on the part of the American government and people,
and of contempt of authority and resistance to law on the part of the Mormons. Whatever
persecutions they may have suffered in the early part of their history, in Missouri and Illinois,
they have no excuse for their persistent defiance of law under the government of the United States.’’