Ask Spanky

Fantasy -

"In the DVD commentary, both Arnold Schwarzenegger and Paul Verhoeven seem to come down on the side of “all a dream.”* The outlandish twisting nature of the plot does support that interpretation; the only way all of this could make sense is if this was all the product of Quaid’s fantasy and the Rekall-manufactured vacation gone wrong."

From: https://www.overthinkingit.com/2009/...m-debate-vote/

However, it's been a LONG time since I've seen the movie myself. So long that I can't even remember whether my own opinion is fantasy or reality. I expect I probably came down on the "reality" side just because I dislike "it was all a dream" movies because it seems like a bit of a cop out. Originally Posted by SpankyJ
I come down on the "fantasy" side of the argument, mostly due to the events of the movie playing out almost exactly as described to him before the procedure.
Got another one for you: at the end of The Matrix trilogy, have the humans truly escaped the Matrix, or are they still trapped inside?
Got another one for you: at the end of The Matrix trilogy, have the humans truly escaped the Matrix, or are they still trapped inside? Originally Posted by JdeHog
Hmm. I think they are still inside, based on a couple of things the Oracle says:

The exchange between the Architect and the Oracle for one - where he asks her how long this peace will last and she says "As long as it can."

Also the bit where the Oracle says she expects they will see Neo again someday.

The part where the Oracle says that bit about "What about the others? The ones that want out?" seems to indicate that it is possible to escape. But that as of the end of the movie, they are still in the Matrix until the Architect frees them as he said he would.

Another one I haven't seen in a long time though, I could easily be missing something.
and the #1 source is?
A poetry enthusiast.
I’ll be highly offended if I don’t place as second runner-up.
I’ll be highly offended if I don’t place as second runner-up. Originally Posted by Ginger Doll
It was so close. You almost made the cut. Missed it by *that* much - a mere smidgen! Most definitely second runner up. Just get a little more senseless and you’re in!
What fictional setting would you most like to either visit or live in?

Have you read the GoT books?

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, it’s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?
What fictional setting would you most like to either visit or live in? Originally Posted by Warden639
I'd take the place of Sir Galahad at the Castle Anthrax, but I'd not be anything like as pure as him.

Have you read the GoT books? Originally Posted by Warden639
No, I've just seen the series. Shameful, I know.

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, it’s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that? Originally Posted by Warden639
I'm just waiting for it to convince me it really wants to be saved. I will eventually.
...Will Ginger get to 600 reviews, and how many will involve Spanky? Originally Posted by Rockydoc
Pretty close right now.
WTH is Spanky?
Spanky is taking a break for a while.
WTH is Spanky? Originally Posted by Rockydoc
On hiatus for the time being.