Sylvester Turner Elected Mayor of Houston

I have lived in Houston for the better part of my 68 years, and I can't ever recall when Sylvester Turner wasn't involved in Politics in some form or fashion.

He is as liberal as it gets. He backs all of the standard liberal Agenda Items. He has always wanted to be Mayor of Houston.

But then, Houston has pretty much had liberal mayors more times than not. All have had enough sense to realize that Houston is not some Eastern Metropolitian or Mid West Shithole, voters put up with the liberal Shit as sort of a compromise that they stay the fuck out of the workings of what makes Houston Great......Business.

There is one looming problem. Like so many other huge cities, Houston is facing a crisis with pension funding. For decades, they have let municipal employees, especially those in the Police and Fire Department, work 25 years, retire at or before 50, and then spendanother 30 years drawing a pension darned near as big as their paycheck.

Houston has always been lucky in that it has a tremendous tax base. The Ship Channel Industries and the Petro Chemical Industries have been very good to the entire Mertropolitan Area.The only people that don't have a job are those that can't work, or won't work. But even a City as wealthy as Houston can be bled dry. Anise Parker had enough sense to let Houston be Houston, I hope Sylvester Turner does the same.

Time will tell.
But then, Houston has pretty much had liberal mayors more times than not. All have had enough sense to realize that Houston is not some Eastern Metropolitian or Mid West Shithole, voters put up with the liberal Shit as sort of a compromise that they stay the fuck out of the workings of what makes Houston Great......Business. Originally Posted by Jackie S
That's why people live outside of Houston and work in Houston. The "neighborhood" grows, but Houston struggles and will continue to do so. Annexing to expand the tax base while failing to expand services is not the answer. The "entitlement" crowd will remain and the entrepreneurs will flock to the "suburbs" to more space and better schools!
  • WTF
  • 12-13-2015, 09:40 AM
I have lived in Houston for the better part of my 68 years, and I can't ever recall when Sylvester Turner wasn't involved in Politics in some form or fashion.

He is as liberal as it gets. He backs all of the standard liberal Agenda Items. He has always wanted to be Mayor of Houston.

But then, Houston has pretty much had liberal mayors more times than not. All have had enough sense to realize that Houston is not some Eastern Metropolitian or Mid West Shithole, voters put up with the liberal Shit as sort of a compromise that they stay the fuck out of the workings of what makes Houston Great......Business.

There is one looming problem. Like so many other huge cities, Houston is facing a crisis with pension funding. For decades, they have let municipal employees, especially those in the Police and Fire Department, work 25 years, retire at or before 50, and then spendanother 30 years drawing a pension darned near as big as their paycheck.

Houston has always been lucky in that it has a tremendous tax base. The Ship Channel Industries and the Petro Chemical Industries have been very good to the entire Mertropolitan Area.The only people that don't have a job are those that can't work, or won't work. But even a City as wealthy as Houston can be bled dry. Anise Parker had enough sense to let Houston be Houston, I hope Sylvester Turner does the same.

Time will tell. Originally Posted by Jackie S
Bill King was what the city needed.

They need pension reform. If not at some point...they are going to have to cut city services just to pay retired City workers like some cities in Cali have had to do.
OMG will there be Hillary signs cropping up next?
  • WTF
  • 12-13-2015, 09:44 AM
That's why people live outside of Houston and work in Houston. The "neighborhood" grows, but Houston struggles and will continue to do so. Annexing to expand the tax base while failing to expand services is not the answer. The "entitlement" crowd will remain and the entrepreneurs will flock to the "suburbs"! Originally Posted by LexusLover
Actually the richest folks live inside the 610 Loop.
You need to repeat, EVA missed the message.
You need to repeat, EVA missed the message. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
LMAO
Actually the richest folks live inside the 610 Loop. Originally Posted by WTF
Houston does have it's share of Limousine Liberals.
Actually the richest folks live inside the 610 Loop. Originally Posted by WTF
What does that have to do with squat? If that's actually true.

Exxon probably has them beat. What do you think?
...Anise Parker had enough sense to let Houston be Houston, I hope Sylvester Turner does the same.
Time will tell. Originally Posted by Jackie S
It only took 24 years, and this time no Wayne Dolcefino...LOL!

I do wish him well.

I was hoping we would get a mayor that would undo all the fucked up shit that Anise Porker has done. The idiots on the plantatio0n will continue to vote for enslavement thinking they have made progress yet still live in shitholes and cannot rise above it. It is no wonder so many large companies are making a mass exodus outside the city limits.
It is no wonder so many large companies are making a mass exodus outside the city limits. Originally Posted by The2Dogs
And slam on the brakes before they get to the city limits!!!!
And slam on the brakes before they get to the city limits!!!!
Originally Posted by LexusLover
Can you recall back in the Whitmire (I think), administration when the city decided to take Cameron Iron Works to the cleaner. They were right there in that huge complex just past the 610 west I-10 junction. Pay up, the city said.

Well, Cameron just packed the entire operation up and moved out into the Cypress Fairbanks area off 290, where the community welcomed them with open arms, and lower taxes.
I live outside the city limits, but didn't this guy run for mayor about four previous times to this?
  • DSK
  • 12-13-2015, 01:53 PM
Bill King was what the city needed.

They need pension reform. If not at some point...they are going to have to cut city services just to pay retired City workers like some cities in Cali have had to do. Originally Posted by WTF
Fuck pension reform and fuck cutting city services. I say raise property taxes on houses valued at 500K or more. Rich white liberals need to pay the fuck up!!