football team mascots

i've heard of the lions, the wildcats, the jackrabbits, the thunderducks, but never knew this team's mascot.

http://classroom.cumbyisd.net/webs/cumbyisd/

i wonder what the history is on their choice.
anyone know??

p.s. i first travelled thru cumby back in the mid 70's when my sister was in school at East Texas St Univ [as it was known back then]. also traveled on U.S. Hwy 69 many a time, but never did 69 on 69 :^(
There used to be a 69 motel on Hiway 69 in Chouteau, OL.

And the most embarrassing mascots I know are (were)
Henrietta, OK Hens
Chickasha, OK Chicks
Big Spring, TX Steers
Hereford, TX Whitefaces

and Landmark College in Vermont is the Landmark Land Sharks.

Candygram

Plumber
Trinity over in the HEB area have been the Trojans for some time...at least they used to be.

There is a water tower off I35 North of Austin (I can't recall the town) and their apparent mascot is a yellow jacket. It's a mean looking guy, but his stinger bends amazingly up towards his face. I always laugh when I see it...wish I could do that!

LOL!
The Dallas Morning News ran an article years ago about what a town's high school mascot ought to be. The two best ones that I remember were the Forney Kates and the Juaquin Pneumonias.
Licensing allows vendors for a well known SEC school to produce headwear, apparel, etc for resale in bookstores, spirit shoppes, etc with their mascot's verbiage abbreviated /slang. Needless to say it's a huge seller with the college students & alumni:

University of South Carlina
COCKS
My little high school where I graduated from, used to play football against the Itasca Wampus Cats.
A few of my favorites are the Fredricksburg Goats, the Winters Blizzards, the Calhoun County Sand Crabs and at one time the Frisco Coons.
Atoka, OK is also the Wampus Cats

Nacherlly, do not forget the other Trojans, Southern Cal, Troy, and yep, HEB Trinity is still the Trojans. In 1968 or '69 when I was at OU, Southern Cal came to town. Of course they were showered by condoms (mostly unused) from the student section. Probably not the first time they were greeted thusly, and certainly not the last.

Chickasha, OK is the Fighting Chicks and when we played then whien I was in Jr Hi and HS, they were terrible and we always worked them over, so we usually came to the line early in the game clucking and crowing.

What's bad about Cumby, TX is the combination of the CUMby and Trojan nickname. I'm sure that there's some dude or dudette on a horse in some sort of Bronze Age rig. Probably not like some sort of getup from an early Woody Allen flick (yeah, I know, they were sperm - but you get the idea...lol).

Another USC, Univ of S Carolina, as was noted earlier, has shortened Gamecocks to COCKS for apparrel sales. Kind of interesting in the same state where that bastion of family values, Liberty University, is located.

Here are a few more to check out:

http://www.universitylanguage.com/bl...llege-mascots/

and:

http://www.bofads.com/stories/collegemascots.htm

ending with a whole bunch of HS names:

http://www.tekonsha.k12.mi.us/scaa/Teamnames.htm

Nice little history of the nickname "Maroons" at the opening. Also, gotta luv the Dallas Hockaday Daisies, well it is, after all, a hoity-toity little rich girls' school.
  • 01-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Stanford used to be the Stanford Indians, however due to political correctness changed it to the Stanford Cardinal with a Redwood Tree as the mascot. What many people think when they hear Cardinal is the bird when in fact it stands for the color Cardinal. Only a school that requires a genius IQ to get in would come up with this for a mascot.
Lets not forget
UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs
UC Irvine Anteaters
Every women's team for the Oregon State Beavers

and my favorite
The Scottsdale Community College Fighting Artichokes (I am not kidding)
Stanford used to be the Stanford Indians, however due to political correctness changed it to the Stanford Cardinal with a Redwood Tree as the mascot. What many people think when they hear Cardinal is the bird when in fact it stands for the color Cardinal. Only a school that requires a genius IQ to get in would come up with this for a mascot. Originally Posted by 5150
I always found it very appropriate that my Stanford friends found a way to turn PC into a standing joke or three. And their band is awesome! Sometimes I wish I had accepted the undergrad scholarship offer there.... but Rice had a pretty amazing group of folks to hang with as well. And Stanford was a great grad school.
Randy4Candy, unfortunately and much to my chagrin, Liberty University is located in my home state of Virginia (Lynchburg to be exact).

At my old school Georgia Tech the mascot has always been a Yellowjacket, but we focused on being the Wramblin' Wrecks. It is embarrasing nowadyas to hear folks talk about Buzz the Yellowjacket (makes me think of bumblebees) although the stinger doesn't quite point back at itself.
Randy4Candy, unfortunately and much to my chagrin, Liberty University is located in my home state of Virginia (Lynchburg to be exact).

At my old school Georgia Tech the mascot has always been a Yellowjacket, but we focused on being the Wramblin' Wrecks. It is embarrasing nowadyas to hear folks talk about Buzz the Yellowjacket (makes me think of bumblebees) although the stinger doesn't quite point back at itself. Originally Posted by yelnats69
Oops, my bad. It's Bob Jones University. Oh well, they all sort of run together.

I was in Atlanta in '96 and found a GT cap that was black with a really nice Yellowjacket embroidried on the crown, bought it and brought it back for my son. He wore that thing until it was threadbare.

Back to the names, Frankfort, IN "Hot Dogs," hmmm, at least they didn't pick "Weenies."

Vickie, if you're in need of a "stinger," well......heh heh heh...
Oh I could ALWAYS use a good "sting" darlin'! Call me any time!
can't believe nobody has mentioned the Oregon State Beavers! GOOOOOOOOOO Beavers!

and there is a high school in IN...the Rockville Rox.