Please Don’t Thank Me for My Service

• WTF
  • 02-21-2015, 03:09 PM
Interesting...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ple...n?ocid=U221DHP
Many people, it turns out. Mike Freedman, a Green Beret, calls it the “thank you for your service phenomenon.” To some recent vets — by no stretch all of them — the thanks comes across as shallow, disconnected, a reflexive offering from people who, while meaning well, have no clue what soldiers did over there or what motivated them to go, and who would never have gone themselves nor sent their own sons and daughters.
To these vets, thanking soldiers for their service symbolizes the ease of sending a volunteer army to wage war at great distance — physically, spiritually, economically. It raises questions of the meaning of patriotism, shared purpose and, pointedly, what you’re supposed to say to those who put their lives on the line and are uncomfortable about being thanked for it.
Mr. Garth, 26, said that when he gets thanked it can feel self-serving for the thankers, suggesting that he did it for them, and that they somehow understand the sacrifice, night terrors, feelings of loss and bewilderment. Or don’t think about it at all.
He's probably right. It's like when people ask how you are doing and most people just answer 'doing good' or whatever and it's usually not the truth, just a knee-jerk answer.
No different than doing something nice for a little old lady at the grocery store.
He's probably right. It's like when people ask how you are doing and most people just answer 'doing good' or whatever and it's usually not the truth, just a knee-jerk answer. Originally Posted by UnderConstruction
That's true for the most part. Unless you are related to my uncle Joe, lol. I come from an Italian family Joe will tell ya how it is. I saw him one day at the market. I said hey uncle Joe, he looks at me and says hey jimmie. I asked him how he's been doing. He says My wife, your Aunt is bustin my fucking Cogliones, my daughter your stupid cousin is marrying a friggin looser and I've got a rash so bad on my ass I can't even sit down, but you know me Jimmie, I can't complain, lol.

Jim
  • WTF
  • 02-21-2015, 10:29 PM
No different than doing something nice for a little old lady at the grocery store. Originally Posted by IIFFOFRDB
Except these soldiers are not lil lo ladies at the grocery store...
That's true for the most part. Unless you are related to my uncle Joe, lol. I come from an Italian family Joe will tell ya how it is. I saw him one day at the market. I said hey uncle Joe, he looks at me and says hey jimmie. I asked him how he's been doing. He says My wife, your Aunt is bustin my fucking Cogliones, my daughter your stupid cousin is marrying a friggin looser and I've got a rash so bad on my ass I can't even sit down, but you know me Jimmie, I can't complain, lol.

Jim Originally Posted by Mr MojoRisin
Thank you Dom Irrera!

And, Jimmie, you are SO BUSTED!
Thank you Dom Irrera!

And, Jimmie, you are SO BUSTED!
Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
I told him that story first, lol.

Jim
Interesting...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ple...n?ocid=U221DHP
Many people, it turns out. Mike Freedman, a Green Beret, calls it the “thank you for your service phenomenon.” To some recent vets — by no stretch all of them — the thanks comes across as shallow, disconnected, a reflexive offering from people who, while meaning well, have no clue what soldiers did over there or what motivated them to go, and who would never have gone themselves nor sent their own sons and daughters.
To these vets, thanking soldiers for their service symbolizes the ease of sending a volunteer army to wage war at great distance — physically, spiritually, economically. It raises questions of the meaning of patriotism, shared purpose and, pointedly, what you’re supposed to say to those who put their lives on the line and are uncomfortable about being thanked for it.
Mr. Garth, 26, said that when he gets thanked it can feel self-serving for the thankers, suggesting that he did it for them, and that they somehow understand the sacrifice, night terrors, feelings of loss and bewilderment. Or don’t think about it at all. Originally Posted by WTF
If you say that, and have a "Support the troops" bumper sticker then you have done yout part.
Well I hope I didn't piss any Liberals off, when I gave ten thousand dollars worth of fishing equipment to"Heroes on the Water".
Please don't thank for my service. Originally Posted by WTF
I thought this was more WTF "gay shit" he was posting when I saw the headline.

I will thank servicemembers whenever I please, and if they take exception to it, then I will apologize and tell them I'm sorry they feel that way. I just won't buy an alcoholic beverage for them when they are in uniform, even though they probably need or deserve one.
Well I hope I didn't piss any Liberals off, when I gave ten thousand dollars worth of fishing equipment to"Heroes on the Water". Originally Posted by IIFFOFRDB
I wouldn't worry about "liberals," SLOBBRIN. You need to watch out for Jimmy Swaggart's collectors. I hear you're behind in your monthly pledge payments.

This dudes don't fuck around!

Well I hope I didn't piss any Liberals off, when I gave ten thousand dollars worth of fishing equipment to"Heroes on the Water". Originally Posted by IIFFOFRDB
Probably didn't piss them off until they realized ...

.......... it wasn't for them and their "Clean Water Committee"!
  • WTF
  • 02-22-2015, 09:33 AM
I bet you tried to get a tax deduction for it. If not congrats. If so , fuck off.
  • WTF
  • 02-22-2015, 09:44 AM

I will thank servicemembers whenever I please, and if they take exception to it, then I will apologize and tell them I'm sorry they feel that way. I just won't buy an alcoholic beverage for them when they are in uniform, even though they probably need or deserve one. Originally Posted by LexusLover
Why the fuck would you patronize them by tell them you feel sorry for the way they feel? Hopefully one will slap you upside your head and tell you he is sorry for the way your condescending head feels.

How about you vote for politicians that quit using them as the world's police force....or if you believe we should be the world's police force how about you give up your social security benefits to a Vet that has fallen on hard times. You will do neither...you will just keep thanking these guys to make your pathetic self try and feel better about your self serving self.
Except these soldiers are not lil lo ladies at the grocery store... Originally Posted by WTF
Says everything you need to know about how he feels. They're definitely not little old ladies.