Garrison Keillor's WaPo Article "The Abyss"- For Lit Nerds Only

• pxmcc
  • 10-11-2017, 06:11 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.eeb9565dd7c1

Garrison Keillor-Prairie Home Companion- wrote a hilarious post in Wa Po on the Nobel Prize- Literature. Let me get some housekeeping out of the way. This connects to the hobby because good writing in the hobby, on reviews and such, should be funny, entertaining, and engaging, not stuffy and pedantic. Some people like to impress with fancy literary prose and high-minded diction. Keillor and I are of 1 mind-fuck that!

He suggests that Swedes awarding the Nobel Prize-literature is like them judging American football; they're totally clueless.

Sure there are more important issues in the world, but for any of you lit nerds like myself, is he onto something, or full of shit?
This connects to the hobby ... Originally Posted by pxmcc
Nope - this belongs in the Sandbox.
  • pxmcc
  • 10-11-2017, 06:42 AM
^^I defer to the mods. If you get a quick promotion, do ur thang. No objection, your honor..
More cat shit for the litter box
I agree that this is probably a better discussion for The Sandbox as the Hobby link is a wee bit weak. Good communication skills are applicable to EVERYTHING, but style should be left up to personal choice.

Being kind of a Language Nerd myself (and obviously a more verbose writer), it's an interesting debate. Keillor's argument is valid, and although I often enjoy him, his point here comes across a little bit like sour grapes in a book critic's wine glass. The importance of putting pen to paper (or nowadays, finger to keyboard) is to effectively pass along an idea or relate a story in a palatable format that will keep the reader interested, and who is to say how that is accomplished in the most attractive and entertaining manner? This year the Nobel Prize panel evidently felt Ishiguro best completed his mission, and whether or not the book was authored in English or Vulcan is actually immaterial. The
Neustadt International Prize for Literature, also quite prestigious, may choose a different recipient next year, so it's all in the eye, and judgement, of the beholder.

Maybe ECCIE should contemplate some sort of erotic writer's/reviewer's recognition, selected by majority vote? (I can see the statue now, a little gold-plated penis! If it vibrates, all the better. )

Perhaps call it the CUNT Award, as in Carnal Utterance Notably Typed?
Moved to Sandbox
Being ....(an) obviously a more verbose writer), .....
Originally Posted by Fancyinheels
^^^^^ this
  • pxmcc
  • 10-12-2017, 02:10 AM
I agree that this is probably a better discussion for The Sandbox as the Hobby link is a wee bit weak. Good communication skills are applicable to EVERYTHING, but style should be left up to personal choice.

Being kind of a Language Nerd myself (and obviously a more verbose writer), it's an interesting debate. Keillor's argument is valid, and although I often enjoy him, his point here comes across a little bit like sour grapes in a book critic's wine glass. The importance of putting pen to paper (or nowadays, finger to keyboard) is to effectively pass along an idea or relate a story in a palatable format that will keep the reader interested, and who is to say how that is accomplished in the most attractive and entertaining manner? This year the Nobel Prize panel evidently felt Ishiguro best completed his mission, and whether or not the book was authored in English or Vulcan is actually immaterial. The
Neustadt International Prize for Literature, also quite prestigious, may choose a different recipient next year, so it's all in the eye, and judgement, of the beholder.

Maybe ECCIE should contemplate some sort of erotic writer's/reviewer's recognition, selected by majority vote? (I can see the statue now, a little gold-plated penis! If it vibrates, all the better. )

Perhaps call it the CUNT Award, as in Carnal Utterance Notably Typed?
Originally Posted by Fancyinheels
Fancy, your writing never fails to entertain! There should be a Nobel Prize-Hobby Literature. You'd be a lock, but only if they kicked out those damn boring Swedes and brought in some lusty Celts. Picts would do nicely too though. Word is, they were some crazy and lusty blokes, brutal in battle and wild in bed, BCD. They fought naked and went to bed fully armored, or so it is said...
Being kind of a Language Nerd myself (and obviously a more verbose writer) ... Originally Posted by Fancyinheels
Being verbose is bad enough, but Fancy's more verbose.
Being verbose is bad enough, but Fancy's more verbose. Originally Posted by chicagoboy
Good catch, cb. Redundant of me to use "more" in conjunction with "verbose." I'm a prolific writer, not a perfect one.

Fancy, your writing never fails to entertain! There should be a Nobel Prize-Hobby Literature. You'd be a lock, but only if they kicked out those damn boring Swedes and brought in some lusty Celts. Picts would do nicely too though. Word is, they were some crazy and lusty blokes, brutal in battle and wild in bed, BCD. They fought naked and went to bed fully armored, or so it is said... Originally Posted by pxmcc
Aw, thank you, hon. I'm just aiming for correct syntax, spelling, and punctuation!

Bedroom "armor" certainly has changed. Now we get our safety shields from little square packets, sometimes "ribbed for her pleasure."
  • pxmcc
  • 10-12-2017, 11:40 AM
^^ikr!