The Nursing Life

I had to take my mother to the ER a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately, it was nothing serious and she has recovered. While I was there, I noticed that many of the nurses on duty looked pretty haggard and stressed out.

I have noted that some providers, both past and present, were involved in the nursing profession. I am wondering how many ended up in the biz because of the stress of being in the nursing profession. I can imagine that being caught between demanding, perhaps arrogant physicians, and bureaucratic hospital administrators, can be pretty oppressive.
Having been an RN for some 20+ years, many spent in the operating room as a CV specialty nurse doing open hearts followed by a few years in organ donation, I can testify that, as in many vocations, no matter how much you love your job it will never love you back.

I have "aged out" of the clinical environment. The work has become too demanding
physically what with forced overtime resulting from staff cutbacks. Call demands are insane in most hospitals. ICU's run dangerous patient/nurse ratios. Unlicensed staff have more patient contact now. It used to be that training helped catch small problems before they became big ones, but with nurse techs doing routine vitals etc., they don't have the critical thinking or assessment skills to make good medical decisions. I have transitioned into non-clinical practice with regular hours and no call.

If you believe "non-profit" actually means that, think again. Those facilities are just as ruthlessly pursuing bottom line performance as for profit facilities are. The goals are increased census, decreased costs.

So yes, I have been pushed away from something I loved by an evolving industry. Hobbywise, I was hobbying before and will continue.
Hey budrn, I think I was hangin with that young man that day.
The true beauty of being an RN is that you can do more than just work in the hospital setting. There are so many options.
In my younger days I crossed paths with a lot of nursing professionals. They could be some of the raunchiest gals I knew. They needed a break from the seriousness of their jobs, and when they got away from the medical setting, they let their hair hang out.

Imagine a nursing student explaining at a cocktail party the intricacies of inserting a catheter on a male patient with an erection. Also, at another party, was first time I saw a cake baked in shape of a penis. Of course, by the time they finish nursing school, all that modesty crap and fear of the naked human body has been thrown so far out the door...

It was just their way of dealing with the stress. A lot of ladies here have a nursing background. I can remember threads where it was discussed how the characteristics of someone who cared for a patient in a medical setting would crossover into a great provider who knew how to care for a guy's needs.

Not going to mention any of the gals here with medical backgrounds, but I can think of at least 3-4 off the top of my head who are still active providers.
The contract nurses make more $$$$ and have hospital admins kissing their asses. Met a bunch of them at a hotel in the NE.
Fritz, I can SO appreciate the fact that you paid enough attention to even notice the "condition" of the nurses! My brother has been in and out of the hospital a few times this past year and I know exactly what you mean!

While I TOTALLY and COMPLETELY agree with everything that budrn said, part (a HUGE part) of the reason I got out of clinical nursing was because my parents health began to decline.

Being self-employed gives me the freedom of hours to allow for doc appointments, lab appointments, housekeeping, cooking for the family not living with me, etc, etc.

I keep my license current as well as my continuing education because some day I may get back into it. At this point in time, the hours I have now are demanding...I can't imagine how I would deal with this demanding schedule on top of working 12 hour shifts!

I love the fact that I am a nurse and I wouldn't take for it but I am glad to me a therapist also because it frees me a lot!
I continue to work full-time as an RN. I don't hobby because of the stress, but I do have a lot of sex to help deal with the stress.

I have noticed a lot of nurses are just frisky and live on the edge. There are tons of them in the swinging lifestyle. Nurses and teachers - very interesting!
One point... Not everyone wearing scrubs are nurses. Paramedics, Xray techs, respitory techs, lab techs, physicians, and many others are working hard too.
ABSOLUTELY CoHorn! The whole staff thing is just crazy!

As budrn pointed out, more and more non-licensed staff are serving more in direct patient care than ever before.

It's funny, isn't it? Anyone can put on a set of scrubs and look like a medical professional! LOL!

It's a tough line of work these days...

rn_sweetie, you have it right on the nose! I was very active in the lifestyle for many years and it was uncanny how many swingers were nurses! Teachers too! Nurses have always had a reputation for being wild and crazy though....hmmmm.....I wonder why that is?
... I was very active in the lifestyle for many years and it was uncanny how many swingers were nurses! ... Originally Posted by vnurse
you learn something every day!!!
Their job is getting harder and harder. It is about the bottom line. They allocate so much time per person and if it takes longer then that's out of their time. A hospital a friend of mine worked at even sent their recordings to India to be transcribed. Can you imagine the errors? It's a tough profession, but I hope they all know what comfort they provide when we know our sick loved ones are in caring hands. I will remember to make sure I say something next time.

Now the fun side of nursing: When I was in college I volunteered as an orderly at a local hospital. That experience set me on the road to ruin. They were the most healthy, horny, fun loving women I have ever met. I still find that to be true. Drinking coffee out or specimen cups. Fucking in any quasi private closet or room. Watch out especially for the redheads! (hint hint)
LMAO @ slowmover! Was that YOU?!
so, all those doctor and nursing shows on tv where the people get it on in the supply room and elsewhere are not all that fictional??

like i said, you learn something every day!!

hmmmm, vicki, guess i need to come visit my nurse for some lab work :^)
Well, I can sure give you a good going over, pm!

I can't say that those "supply room and elsewhere" encounters happen ALL the time but I WILL say that I have seen a few exam rooms, file closets, restrooms, empty patient rooms, in my day!