invasion by a foreign country

Our military spends its time worrying about a foreign invasion. Perhaps
China - Japan did its best in WWI - Germany would have done it.

But - England, one of our closest allies, has already invaded almost all countries in the world.

Our military spends its time worrying about a foreign invasion. Perhaps
China - Japan did its best in WWI - Germany would have done it.

But - England, one of our closest allies, has already invaded almost all countries in the world. Originally Posted by VitaMan
Huh? Japan had a minor naval role in WWI (aka, The Great Waw) policing sea lanes for benefit of the Entente; i.e., the Allied Powers: Great Britain, France, and - for a while - Russia, and then U.S.

Britain didn't do much invading; mostly British commercial enterprises set up shop all over the globe and military might came later to protect those interests.

I can't think of a better prototype for foreign invaders than the Golden Horde and other branches of the Mongol Empire. They didn't show up on borders to do business, they showed up to kill motherfuckers. The Mongol Empire extended from the Pacific across all of Asia to and beyond the Black Sea. Even wiped out the Hashshasins, the scourge of the Crusader establishment, from what had been thought to be an impervious valley refuge, Alamut, near the south shore of the Caspian.

By the way I don't think the "chief staffs of joint" are much worried about invasion; they're worried about losing sea lanes and having allied nations picked off one-by-one. Ain't nobody going to invade us militarily...however there is an invasion ongoing: procreation by aliens.
  • Trey
  • 03-19-2017, 04:40 PM
Yeah I don't think an invasion would happen here at all. Way to many guns in the population here for one. But the amount of effort it would take to take out our military and then have enough troops to invade the homeland pretty high. I only think China could have a chance. But America would be a nuclear wasteland before the first boots hit the ground. No guess what China itself would look like by that point either. The amount of nuke dust in the air probably wouldn't make going anywhere worth the trip.
No need to destroy the US by masses of nuclear weapons hitting our cities. A single EMP strike high up in the atmosphere would do it. Projections are that 90% of the population would starve to death in the first 12 months. Then it's a cake walk for anyone wanting to invade.

Bonus is a foreign power could pull that strike off and have it not be traceable to them. So who would we strike back at?

They get it all and no radiation to contend with.

Britain didn't do much invading; mostly British commercial enterprises set up shop all over the globe and military might came later to protect those interests.

No invading....only commercial interests ? What do you call colonization ?

The English would grab everything they could, and haul it back to England in the name of the queen. Where do you think the crown jewels came from ? They took them out of South Africa.

The ships captains would haul what they could back to England, and they would get a percentage, the queen would get the rest. The queen put up the money for the ships and the voyages. Sound similar
to a pirates booty ? That's because.......it is ! Except you have a country backing you up according to their laws.

But at least the English did some civilizing activity. Not like the Spanish, the only thing they cared about was obtaining as much gold as possible. A whole country held under the spell of the yellow metal.

At least the Americans were forthright and didn't colonize. Too bad about the Indians getting in the way.

No invading....only commercial interests ? What do you call colonization ?

The English would grab everything they could, and haul it back to England in the name of the queen. Where do you think the crown jewels came from ? They took them out of South Africa.

The ships captains would haul what they could back to England, and they would get a percentage, the queen would get the rest. The queen put up the money for the ships and the voyages. Sound similar
to a pirates booty ? That's because.......it is ! Except you have a country backing you up according to their laws.

But at least the English did some civilizing activity. Not like the Spanish, the only thing they cared about was obtaining as much gold as possible. A whole country held under the spell of the yellow metal.

At least the Americans were forthright and didn't colonize. Too bad about the Indians getting in the way. Originally Posted by VitaMan
Invading, raiding, privateering, colonization: these are not synonymous. The British East India Company entered India as a trading company a couple of centuries before Britain sent an expeditionary force there following the Mutiny in 1857. The line of communication between Britain and India required ports in South Africa and later on, Aden and Suez, which were never invaded, albeit an expeditionary force was later required to settle the Boer question.

The British Empire was undoubtedly extensive, but it was not acquired via invasion (An invasion is a military offensive in which large parts of combatants of one geopolitical entity aggressively enter territory controlled by another such entity, generally with the objective of either conquering, liberating or re-establishing control or authority over a territory, forcing the partition of a country, altering the established government or gaining concessions from said government, or a combination thereof).

Francis Drake was a badass; he plundered Dutch, French, and Spanish treasure ships under license from the Queen and he conducted raids at Cartagena and Santiago de Compostela, where he stole the corpse of St. James, but none of this comprises invasion. He called one of his ships Cacafuego, which just cracks me up when I imagine some Spanish sailor spotting the thing headed his way.

The Crown Jewels came from all over the place; you could go a long way toward an advanced degree in history by learning the history of them all...the blood ruby came from the Umayyad Caliphate in Spain and the Koh-i-Noor from India, who are now suing for its return.

Britain colonized "countries"? Yep. Britain invaded "countries"? Not so much. They didn't have sufficient numbers to do that.
History is a wonderful thing...if one takes the time to learn it and not just what we read in public schools.
It would be kinda Interesting to see this country ground invaded for the first time. Especially now that the Russians rule America by orange proxy. Maybe the invaders will give blacks immunity
It's the same !

Or is it like your wife or girlfriend hanging out with you just because. She wants the money !

Next you will mention the opium wars in China were carried out because the English wanted everybody in China to chill out and enjoy life.
It would be kinda Interesting to see this country ground invaded for the first time. Especially now that the Russians rule America by orange proxy. Maybe the invaders will give blacks immunity Originally Posted by Sistine Chapel
You could be on the front line and flash your piece.
It would be kinda Interesting to see this country ground invaded for the first time. Especially now that the Russians rule America by orange proxy. Maybe the invaders will give blacks immunity Originally Posted by Sistine Chapel
I wouldn't hold my breath
We have been invaded........by mostly unarmed Mexicans, Guatemalans, El Salvadorians, Hondurans, and the only difference between stopping the Germans and the Japanese is that we declared war.
I say mostly unarmed because our government via fast and furious supplied arms.

Of course the left considers them "immigrants" that just forgot to get the proper papers and really did not mean to invade our nation. The fail to understand the word illegal that goes in front of immigrant. Very few people that I know of have any issue with legal immigration and would have even less objection if we could just get a handle on the 12 million or so invaders.

I wonder how the left would act if they had invaded with armaments? Tell them they do not like guns and they are not needed because we welcome them with open arms. Why doesn't MADD get all up in arms over the hundreds of murders that take place at the hands of illegal immigrants via drunk driving?

We have been invaded but most people are too damn stupid to understand it.
Not all of us......The2Dogs
There's no doubt the English were badass.

The incredible thing about world history is how soon after WWII we became allies and best buddies with the Japanese and the Germans. After the horrific things they did, and it only took a couple of years. Maybe it was because Russia and China were on the horizon.
It's because they had no choice. We pounded them to oblivion and then gave them a hug.