Ernie Banks dies at 83!

Other than the fact that Ernie Banks received The Presidential Medal of Freedom, this isn't necessarily a political topic.

But a well deserved first ballot Hall of Famer and one of major league baseball's all time greats, Ernie Banks, passed away at 83.

I sat in the Colt Stadium/Astrodome stands dozens of times (and twice at Wrigley) during the 1960's and winced every time he came to the plate.

RIP "Mr. Cub!"

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...091110568.html
I remember when he came to Houston for the first time. It was in the upper 90s in both heat and humidity and they had to carry a dehydrating Banks off on a stretcher.

Nobody hear him say "let's play two," in Houston that day.

I am fortunate to have watched him play in person, though his shortstop playing days were long over and he had been moved to first base.

What a great athlete and fabulous asset for baseball. Came up two years after Jackie Robinson and played nearly 20 years in the bigs. always upbeat, always smiling and always playing the hell out of America's national pastime.

Banks stood for more than baseball, too. He was a real humanitarian.

RIP, Mr. Cub.
Dam, I hate to hear that. I grew up near Chicago. As a kid I always liked the Cubs. I went to Wrigley Field one time as a kid to watch the Cubs play. I was able to see Ernie up real close before the game actually started. He turned and waved at the group I was with cause we were making so much noise trying to get his attention He gave Cub fans a lot of good memories.

Jim
Sad day in Wrigleyville.

RIP Mr. Cub.

Ernie Banks was a class act and a great ball player. RIP
Born in Dallas....a great player.

I never heard a bad word said about the guy. He was always smiling.

RIP....