Lack of sunspots to bring record cold, warns NASA scientist

global warming, the culprit again?
global warming, the culprit again? Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought
Yes. That's why it was freezing last night. Global warming.

I'm hoping "global warming" hasn't hurt my citrus crop this year. Late turning. Not good.
Why I reside in central Texas. Wait a few days and it gets warm again. Hmmmm, global warming???
Scientists know these things when their livelihood does NOT depend on government or college funding.
How does global warming affect sun spots?

Don't even bother replying.

global warming, the culprit again? Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought
There is no point in trying to explain to you about global warming.
But there are people on here that ask questions and appreciate reliable and accurate information. Letting your version of global warming stand is a disservice to the public in general. It is trump type information. Wrong at best.
Global warming or climate change (for the purpose of debunking ll's statements) is a gradual warming of the planet. Are freezing temps supposed to disappear? Not anytime soon. One of the things affected now is warmer temps allow the atmosphere to hold more moister. That can mean much more severe storms, both rain, and snow. Lots more snow in the states in the Mississippi drainage area means more floods during spring melt. The effects are far-reaching.

Bottom line is that the idea of early freezes, heavy snowfall, etc. are going to disappear is wrong. Not a little wrong, but it shows the fundamental misunderstanding of the science behind the subject.

Why don't you just take your potted mini orange tree inside?

Yes. That's why it was freezing last night. Global warming.

I'm hoping "global warming" hasn't hurt my citrus crop this year. Late turning. Not good. Originally Posted by LexusLover
You have proven many times over that your knowledge of science, its principals, and the application of those principals is spotty at best.

With the most room for being mistaken, it a subject you provide the fewest links to.

Scientists know these things when their livelihood does NOT depend on government or college funding. Originally Posted by the_real_Barleycorn
There is no point in trying to explain to you about global warming.
But there are people on here that ask questions and appreciate reliable and accurate information. Letting your version of global warming stand is a disservice to the public in general. It is trump type information. Wrong at best.
Global warming or climate change (for the purpose of debunking ll's statements) is a gradual warming of the planet. Are freezing temps supposed to disappear? Not anytime soon. One of the things affected now is warmer temps allow the atmosphere to hold more moister. That can mean much more severe storms, both rain, and snow. Lots more snow in the states in the Mississippi drainage area means more floods during spring melt. The effects are far-reaching.

Bottom line is that the idea of early freezes, heavy snowfall, etc. are going to disappear is wrong. Not a little wrong, but it shows the fundamental misunderstanding of the science behind the subject.

Why don't you just take your potted mini orange tree inside?

Originally Posted by Munchmasterman
I disagree that more moister means more severe storms.

However:

It’s no coincidence that an increase in sunspot activity and a run-up of global temperatures on Earth are happening concurrently. I think before we spend trillions of dollars to reduce carbon, we should rule other factors out.
the sun's sunspot activity always track earths weather patterns.

a more active sunspot system means a warmer weather whereas a weak or zero sunspot system means cooler or extreme cold weather.

we've known this since the mid 1400's when Galileo started keeping track of the sunspots.
I disagree that more moister means more severe storms.

However:

It’s no coincidence that an increase in sunspot activity and a run-up of global temperatures on Earth are happening concurrently. I think before we spend trillions of dollars to reduce carbon, we should rule other factors out. Originally Posted by friendly fred
CO2 is a symptom of rising temperatures, not the cause.
CO2 is a symptom of rising temperatures, not the cause. Originally Posted by TheDaliLama
correct. the single largest factor in planetary temperatures is the Solar cycle. it's all about Sun people!! in the 70's the nattering naybobs of climate negativity (credit - Spiro Agnew BAHAA) produced the infamous and now completely discredited "Hockey stick graph". i mean .. is there some quack .. er climatologist still trying to sell the "Hockey stick graph". scam today??

NOPE. because ... it didn't happen! ahahaaaaa why? the approximately 10 year hi/low solar cycle that's why.as i recall reading .. we are entering (or may already be in) a solar LOW cycle which means a REDUCTION of solar radiation that heats this planet.

what does that mean? the Temps are gonna drop on average for the next decade.

i can hardly wait to see how they'll spin that eh?

BASHAAAAAA
NOPE. because ... it didn't happen! ahahaaaaa why? the approximately 10 year hi/low solar cycle that's why.as i recall reading .. we are entering (or may already be in) a solar LOW cycle which means a REDUCTION of solar radiation that heats this planet. Originally Posted by The_Waco_Kid

the sun has a regular cycle which last 10 years. there is another cycle lying within that cycle. unfortunately, its unpredictable. this cycle can last 50 to 100 years.

there have been 2 extremely cold periods in the 17C and in 19C. It looks like we might be having a 3rd one.
How does global warming affect sun spots?

Don't even bother replying.

Originally Posted by Munchmasterman
Ok! I won't.

^^^^^ Global warming creating "sun spots"!
If the global warming fear mongering were true, then why did it's biggest promoter buy a new home on the Florida coast just after his Inconvenient Truth? If you were so sure of the scientific data and that the argument was basically over, why would you buy property on the beach? And for all the die hard believers, if it's happening why stay living along the coasts? Do they really think that higher taxes and after-the--fact changes in pollution will suddenly revers the effects of decades increases?