P411 safe?

Hi folks,

My one reference so far (the great Maddalyn Haze) is now gone, and I'm thinking about getting an account with P411 to help. I am probably going to be an occasional hobbyist at best, so it does not seem feasible to rely simply on word of mouth from a small handful of providers, and the P411 route seems like the way to go.

My question is this: How discrete / secure do you think P411 is?

My employment situation is delicate and there are government contracts involved, so I'm wary given that they apparently check employment status. I could lose my job and professional licensure if anything got out, and given the current state of affairs with government affairs I'd rather not do anything at all to rock that boat. So I'm really worried about entrusting P411 with that info.

I'd value your input greatly - and apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place, or if this is a delicate topic or anything like that.

Sincerely,
TomServo
Security I can't speak to, but they at least say they destroy all your info after clearing screening. As far as discretion, they were great. They can say something specific when they call you at work if you want, such as "this is Jane calling to confirm Jimmy Joe Bob's doc appointment". Once they get in touch with you they go through basic verification stuff to make sure you are who you say you are and then you're done. Painless and a bit exciting.
I had P411 for almost 2 years, and it makes setting appointments easy. See
a couple of the newbie friendly providers that can vouch for you with your hobby name. They never had any of my real world info, just a hobby name and phone number.
Knowing they would verify employment, I gave them a scenario to follow (say the caller was with a charitable organization I'm know to work with) and they followed it to the letter. The boss's secretary forwarded the message to me and didn't give it the second thought.

My biggest issue with P411 is that your ID contains your real first name. Depending on what your name is that can be somewhat distinctive and is the biggest reason I have yet to use my P411 account.
The folks at p411 will work with you and once screened it makes it real easy to hobby as their are quite a few very good established providers that are newbie friendly when you are on p411. Well worth the annual fee. My experience was they were very discrete with employment, refs, etc.
P411 does their best to protect your privacy.

When I renewed my membership, my credit card company called my house to confirm an "out of country" charge and identified them as "Perferred 411". Fortunately, I got the phone before my wife.

I guess that depends on your bank's security procedures, but I'm nervous about my next renewal.
P411 is Top Notch & Very Professional at ALL times.
I am a Lifetime Member of P411 and have been a Member for serveral years. They are very descrete in their screening an your info is shreaded once approved, or Not Approved. They don't keep ANYTHING of yours that was used in the screening process. Once approved, you can see ANY (newbie friendly) Provider to build up your OK's. Every Provider that i have talked to, LOVES P411. They all say it makes their job so much easier. They also have Providers from ALL the Boards, not just from Eccie. They have a GREAT search engine that you can search for a Provider by activities, rates, height, weight, Nationality, even eye color. It's really great. If the Provider cash-n-dash or messes up the rules in ANY way, they will get rid of her Quick, same goes for the Hobbyist. P411 is well worth the Investment.

CG
OldGrump, maybe you could use a prepaid card for next renewal so you do not run into that problem again.

And to the other poster that commented on the first name, I have had a client before who had an extremely unusual name and he told me that once he explained the situation he was allowed to have a name that was either his middle name or a variation of his first name. Ask Gina or any of the other ladies with preferred I am sure they will answer this.

Btw, yes we ladies love p411.
  • Sami
  • 07-26-2011, 09:49 PM
I was just speaking to a gentleman about this today,he was worried about the credit card. I told him to get a he could reload it as needed. Now you will get a temporary one but they will send a permanent one have the card sent to your work.
They were very discrete when they contacted my work. I've also heard that if you have 2 girls vouch for you that are members that you don't have to have the work verification. Haven't done it this way myself so not 100 percent but you could ask.
OldGrump, maybe you could use a prepaid card for next renewal so you do not run into that problem again.
<snip>
Btw, yes we ladies love p411. Originally Posted by Lauren Lane
Thanks Lauren. That's a great idea.
They are outside the US, and their servers are outside the US. They have done this thousands of times and know how to be discreet. Would you rather go through the process one single time with a specialty firm that makes discreet screening its core business, or would you rather roll the dice every time you see a new provider who may or may not have the skills or discretion or attention to detail to protect your privacy? If you pay by credit card they use an alias on your statement, but for people like you with more at risk they take money orders. Just as important when you limit yourself to P411 providers you don't have to worry about getting scammed or caught up in a vice sting (critical for someone in your career).
I'd say well worth it, get it! I used the provider ref route and I think it requires 3 ladies to vouch for you. You can start the process and see with out going too far. It Asks for a first name not sure how real it has to be, then it asks for the first letter of the city of your birth, day of birth, and 4 numbers from an id you carry in your wallet. I had a provider say she saw someone who used their libray card and most libraies cards I have had over the years only have a number and a bar code on one side and their name on the other -- use that. Then once your account is set up you have your log in name and an option to display a handle / other name if you wish.
I am a single guy w/o a SO, and am naturally a private person (most of the time) but like you think about how this might affect my job & or professional licenses or other unseen things of my future.
It's odd it is not usually a felony, but the social impact of just being accused is very, very high.
Do not trust any verification method or service. Once they have your data, including name, employment etc., it is out of your hands forever. Data breaches occur on a regular basis, and the fact that the computer servers/storage are outside the U. S. have no bearing on data breaches. Given your situation with Government contracts and Professional Licenses, you should not give your personal and professional information to anyone. Yes, anyone.

PM a few providers, or post in the "Requests and ISOs" forum.
Do not trust any verification method or service. Once they have your data, including name, employment etc., it is out of your hands forever. Data breaches occur on a regular basis, and the fact that the computer servers/storage are outside the U. S. have no bearing on data breaches. Given your situation with Government contracts and Professional Licenses, you should not give your personal and professional information to anyone. Yes, anyone.

PM a few providers, or post in the "Requests and ISOs" forum. Originally Posted by makmak
completly disagree with this! thousands trust p411 with much more to lose than gov. contracts (wife,kids,mother, father and all loved ones)
In my opinion the only thing safer than p411 is not to play! or just go play with yourself!