Get rid of the electoral college

Let the people's voice be heard, that would eliminate the "swing states" Why should a small majority of votes control how an entire state " votes"
There isn't another election in our country that is decided this way, why keep using an out dated system
Hey, just think about what you are saying. If it weren't for the electoral college, the cities of NY,LA,Chicago,Atlanta,Philly, would determine who gets elected president. The founding fathers were not a bunch of dummies.
People live where they live. Why should their vote count less just because they live in a more highly populated area? Last time I checked, America believed "one person, one vote". Check the history of the electoral college and what it was originally used for and you'll see it has long outlived is usefulness.

I agree. It should go.
Might as well get rid of state boundaries while we're at it. We're a Representative Republic, not a pure Democracy. If you want to change the Constitution, good luck with that.
Might as well get rid of state boundaries while we're at it. We're a Representative Republic, not a pure Democracy. If you want to change the Constitution, good luck with that. Originally Posted by snoopy75
If Biden is inaugurated and they win the two seats in Georgia, you can rip the Constitution up. Schumer promised to do it.
That's funny. Trump has done so many Unconstitutional things in the last four years you couldn't list them all. Support the new President and give the man a chance and help him out, in one month he already has done a thousand times more things for Corvid19 than Trump has done in a year. All trump did is try to make himself richer and take care of his kids, give the rich a tax break and make normal people pay more taxes. Oh and lets not forget going golfing every week and making millions on having him and Secret Service stay at his golf club every week. I just hope he leaves his plan for the Greatest Heath care in the World that is going to be ready in two weeks from four years ago when it was going to be ready two weeks.
That's funny. Trump has done so many Unconstitutional things in the last four years you couldn't list them all. Support the new President and give the man a chance and help him out, in one month he already has done a thousand times more things for Corvid19 than Trump has done in a year. All trump did is try to make himself richer and take care of his kids, give the rich a tax break and make normal people pay more taxes. Oh and lets not forget going golfing every week and making millions on having him and Secret Service stay at his golf club every week. I just hope he leaves his plan for the Greatest Heath care in the World that is going to be ready in two weeks from four years ago when it was going to be ready two weeks. Originally Posted by bypass
We’ll have a vaccine by Thursday. Fastest in history. We’ve tested more people than any country in the world. We have more ventilators than any country in the world. Name just one unconstitutional thing Trump has done? In your case, ignorance is blissful.
  • El-mo
  • 12-08-2020, 09:27 AM
Hey, just think about what you are saying. If it weren't for the electoral college, the cities of NY,LA,Chicago,Atlanta,Philly, would determine who gets elected president. The founding fathers were not a bunch of dummies. Originally Posted by Looker151
No, the people will determine the president. Not arbitrary geographic boundaries. Everyone’s vote would count equally. Right now, Republican voters in California effectively have no say and who is elected president. The same is true for Democratic voters in Mississippi. Saying that a popular vote would give all the power to the cities is intellectually dishonest. It would give the power to the people, regardless of where they live.
If Biden is inaugurated and they win the two seats in Georgia, you can rip the Constitution up. Schumer promised to do it. Originally Posted by bambino
Not surprisingly, you don't seem to have an understanding of what it takes to amend the constitution. Here's a hint: you need more than a simple majority in congress.

If they were honest, those who defend the EC would admit that they only like it because it cheats for their side.

"To stop the 'tyranny of the majority'" is the reason given for the EC, but the fundamental question that no conservative has been able to answer is, why is it any better for the smaller group of people to impose their will on the larger group of people. The president represents all Americans, so every American's vote for president should count equally.

Don't even get me started on the Senate, which is even more severely rigged. The senate vote of a person in North Dakota carries more than 40 times the weight of the senate vote of a person in California. This essentially allows a slim minority in rural America to dictate federal legislation.
  • El-mo
  • 12-08-2020, 09:31 AM
Might as well get rid of state boundaries while we're at it. We're a Representative Republic, not a pure Democracy. If you want to change the Constitution, good luck with that. Originally Posted by snoopy75
And we would still be a representative republic without the Electoral College, because we have Congress. The constitution is not the infallible work of visionaries. It is quite literally an shitty compromise to get the slave states to join the union. Thomas Jefferson believed that every generation should effectively get to rewrite its constitution, but the founders could not foresee the partisan divide that effectively makes amendments impossible in the modern era.
...you don't seem to have an understanding of what it takes to amend the constitution. Here's a hint: you need more than a simple majority in congress. Originally Posted by 1pittsburgh
Like I said....good luck with that
Not surprisingly, you don't seem to have an understanding of what it takes to amend the constitution. Here's a hint: you need more than a simple majority in congress.

If they were honest, those who defend the EC would admit that they only like it because it cheats for their side.

"To stop the 'tyranny of the majority'" is the reason given for the EC, but the fundamental question that no conservative has been able to answer is, why is it any better for the smaller group of people to impose their will on the larger group of people. The president represents all Americans, so every American's vote for president should count equally.

Don't even get me started on the Senate, which is even more severely rigged. The senate vote of a person in North Dakota carries more than 40 times the weight of the senate vote of a person in California. This essentially allows a slim minority in rural America to dictate federal legislation. Originally Posted by 1pittsburgh
They can end the filibuster, pack the court. One party rule. So in essence, you can kiss the Constitution goodbye. Don’t be naive.
Like I said....good luck with that Originally Posted by snoopy75
I'm not claiming that it will happen any time soon. That doesn't change the fact that there's no rational basis for having it.
They can end the filibuster, pack the court. One party rule. So in essence, you can kiss the Constitution goodbye. Don’t be naive. Originally Posted by bambino
Once again you've demonstrated your ignorance as to how this country works. The constitution does not guarantee that your party will control the courts or the senate. Funny that you didn't think it was against the constitution when Trump packed the court or when Mitch claimed that it was wrong to confirm a SCJ in an election year, but then next time said that it was OK to do it if the nomination is from his party, and I'm not saying that it even was against the constitution, but your selective logic is hilarious.

Just like when you claimed that gassing peaceful protestors and shooting them with rubber bullets isn't a violation of their first amendment rights. You clearly don't even have a cursory understanding of your constitution.
Once again you've demonstrated your ignorance as to how this country works. The constitution does not guarantee that your party will control the courts or the senate. Funny that you didn't think it was against the constitution when Trump packed the court or when Mitch claimed that it was wrong to confirm a SCJ in an election year, but then next time said that it was OK to do it if the nomination is from his party, and I'm not saying that it even was against the constitution, but your selective logic is hilarious.

Just like when you claimed that gassing peaceful protestors and shooting them with rubber bullets isn't a violation of their first amendment rights. You clearly don't even have a cursory understanding of your constitution. Originally Posted by 1pittsburgh
I posted what Schumer said he would do. But they Will attack the Constitution. 2nd amendment will go. Now run along.

Schumer doesn’t care about the Constitution, just power

https://nypost.com/2020/03/05/schume...-it-worse/amp/