Current Events 3: Obama on the Stewart's Daily Show

AFP – US President Barack Obama (L) tapes an interview for the satirical television show "Daily Show"

By DARLENE SUPERVILLE, Associated Press Darlene Superville, Associated Press – 2 hrs 51 mins ago
WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama apparently thinks politics is no laughing matter, even when he's staring down a comedian.
Obama barely cracked any jokes during an appearance Wednesday on "The Daily Show" despite host Jon Stewart's attempts to draw out the president's humorous side with a few of his own snarky wisecracks.
Less than a week before the critical Nov. 2 congressional elections, Obama said he hopes Democratic lawmakers who made tough votes will be rewarded with another term in office. He promised more accomplishments in the two years left on his own term in the Oval Office and urged people to vote — early if they can.
Stewart asked how the political environment got to the point that Democrats "seem to be running on 'Please, baby, one more chance'" just two years after Obama ran a successful presidential campaign built around "very high rhetoric, hope and change."
"Are you disappointed in how it's gone?" asked the Comedy Central satirist.
Obama seemed to suggest that he wasn't disappointed. He said his advisers had told him during the euphoria of his 2008 election to "enjoy this now because two years from now folks are going to be frustrated. That is, in fact, what's happening."
He listed as reasons a 9.6 percent unemployment rate, sinking housing values and an economy that is growing but not fast enough. But Obama said his administration has also stabilized the economy, noting it has grown for nine months in a row. He also signed major health care and financial legislation. Obama suggested that his administration did so much that "we have done things that some folks don't even know about."
The comment seemed to catch Stewart by surprise.
"What have you done that we don't know about?" he asked. "Are you planning a surprise party for us, filled with jobs and health care?"
Obama cited legislation extending health care to more children and broadening a national service program as examples.
"Over and over again, we have moved forward an agenda that is making a difference in people's lives each and every day," Obama replied. "Is it enough? No. And so I expect, and I think most Democrats out there expect, that people want to see more progress."

Ask America: Learn. Listen. Be heard.

Ask America

Election forum

The Fast Fix

Map snapshot

The interview, which allowed Obama to take his campaign message to the type of audience that gets political news from programs like Stewart's, seemed more wonkish than slapstick.
Stewart pressed Obama on the changed political climate in the country and questioned him about the new health care law. The president defended his record as well as Democrats, who are expected to suffer a drubbing at the polls Tuesday. Obama was the guest for the entire show. Stewart is taping the show in Washington this week ahead of a rally he's holding Saturday on the National Mall.
At one point, though, when Obama asked to say something about members of Congress, Stewart prompted laughter by asking, "Are you going to curse?"
Stewart poked at Obama for saying during the presidential campaign that "we are the ones we've been waiting for."
"So here you are, you're two years into your administration and the question that arises in my mind: Are we the people we were waiting for or does it turn out those people are still out there and we don't have their number?" the comedian intoned, suggesting that someone in the White House needs to call them up.
There was even more laughter when Obama used a now-notorious Washington phrase to defend Lawrence Summers, a top economic adviser who is leaving the administration at the end of the year. Stewart reminded Obama that he'd once said that different results won't come from the same people. Then Obama hired Summers, who had served in the Clinton administration.

Obama said Summers "did a heck of a job," to which Stewart said, "You don't want to use that phrase, dude."

That's because in 2005, then-President George W. Bush used the phrase to describe the job his emergency management director, Michael Brown, was doing after Hurricane Katrina's floodwaters had devastated New Orleans.
On the "Daily Show," Obama said he hopes voters will reward some Democrats from largely conservative districts who took votes they knew would be bad politically but did so anyway because they thought it was the right thing to do. He named freshman Rep. Tom Perriello of Virginia, who voted for Obama's health care overhaul and is in a tight race re-election race. Obama plans to campaign with Perriello on Friday.
"My hope is that those people are rewarded for taking those tough votes," Obama said. "If they are, then I think Democrats will do fine on Election Day."

Watch the video here

Htowner and I had a very interesting discussion on this the other day. I'd love to know... What are you guys thoughts on the development over the past two years since Obama has been President? Let's keep this civil guys. Express your opinion without personally attacking someone else please.
Why not tell us how your doing from your financial stand point, times gotten slower, less calls??

Since he took office my hobby funds have been going further down the tubes and out to the moochers / union thugs instead of providers.
no actually... it hasn't .
pussy will always sell, especially good pussy. The same guys who had the money to hobby then still have the money to hobby now.
The same guys who had the money to hobby then still have the money to hobby now. Originally Posted by luxury daphne
Some have gotten a "reduction" .... just ask Tiger.
Obama is an America hating fucktard.
Jesus, I can't even enjoy a little salt water r&r without someone actually starting a thread like this.

How the hell you keep it civil when he says there comes a point where you have enough money or when the circumvention of law becomes OK?

Jackass, it's my f...n money. Keep your hand out of my pocket. All of you. He is like the zit that comes up before the date. Will take a little time, but we will vote every last prick out, from both sides.

If a media outlet could speak the truth, these scumbags would be tried for treason. It would go down as the biggest sham the world has ever seen.

Lots has been done behind our backs for many many years, but the outright arrogance and sticking it right in our faces is inexcusable.

The frequency of guys buying your ass is not a fucking economic indicator. Shit little of the amount this great country's economy can produce. That is what will make us survive, inspite of all the cattle that believe shit from anyone 'educated', well dressed and says they are here for you. When will you wake up and realize, very few give a fuck about you and me.

This is a blessed country and no politician is going to take it down, only if we wake up our spoiled asses and quit being wimps everytime we are labeled as we don't care.

Fucking over and out from the Caribe!!!!!

Now I'm going to be grudge fucking all day!!!!!!!
Being POTUS ain't the honor it used to be.
According to Juan Stewart, he is just another dude.
The Daily Show hasn't been funny since Craig Kilborn left.

America ain't what she used to be.
what? The episode with Connie Rice was hilarious. Tosh-O is my new fav now though.
I voted for Mcain eventhough I knew palin was toxic waste. I was skeptical at first but now I'm glad Obama is president. I actually believe that he cares about the country and the people and isn't just a puppet for sale to the highest bidder.
  • rwksl
  • 10-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Being POTUS ain't the honor it used to be. Originally Posted by boardman
Kind of like the Noble Peace Prize.
I voted for Mcain eventhough I knew palin was toxic waste. I was skeptical at first but now I'm glad Obama is president. I actually believe that he cares about the country and the people and isn't just a puppet for sale to the highest bidder. Originally Posted by Tony Montana
I agree but watch out for the fireworks with this statement because apparently to conservatives he is the devil.....Dont bother arguing with me fellas I wont be rebutting because you guys like to hit below the belt at the mention of our wonderful President!
Bush (Senior), Clinton, Bush (Dubya), and now Obama, have worked toward the implementation of Agenda 21. What is Agenda 21 ? Check this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzEEgtOFFlM

The country is in DEEP trouble, and it's being attacked by members of both political parties. If we don't wake up to the bullsh*t from both sides of the aisle, there will be no,
"America".

LS
... isn't just a puppet for sale to the highest bidder. Originally Posted by Tony Montana
The bidding on him stopped a couple of years ago.

He is SOLD NOW, and his warranty has run out.