Inexpensive Hill Country Deer leases? Anyone?

I normally hunt in Southeast Tx., and while the hunting is pretty good here, hunting in the Thicket is work! I want to kick back and hunt in the Hill Country this year. I know of people who have hunted in the hill country on what I would consider reasonably priced daily or seasonal leases. But after a fairly extensive Google search, I'll be damned if I can find any reasonably priced.
Anyone have some lease advice and perhaps a link to any internet presence they might have? Would also be interested in hog hunting or hog/deer.
Appreciate any leads anyone might have.
Nothing cheap about it
I guess it's been about ten years or so ago, but I talked to a couple of guys who said that got day leases for around 3 to 5 hundred bucks? I didn't start looking into this until the other day, but everything I have seen is $1000+. Guess I'll stick to roughing it out in the Big Thicket.
My advice is to start looking in May not the week before opening weekend.
Hill Country is work too and nothing about it is cheap. Especially when the land owner has cows roaming the place that tear your shit up every year and they want to charge you xtra to shoot the Axis and other exotics that just happened to wander onto their land and they chase the deer away from your feeder..
Sorry if I sound a little bitter. Enjoy East Texas.
If you want cheap just sit in your pickup and pop a bambi from the road. Might not be legal, but its cheap if you don't get caught.
This time of year there is nothing cheap to be found. Especially if the place is any good.
That's kind of like looking for a cheep HEH, kind of a oxymoron. Have hunter the hill country for some time and have found some that there are several things to look for as well as to be weary of.

1) Package deals, you pay up front for predetermined harvest limits ie (buck,doe, hog & turkey). Problem with these hunts is you must see all these animals to get a chance to fill your ticket and the chances of shooting a trophy is small, The pressure is put on the hunter to shoot the first thing you see or go home empty handed if you are selective (they still keep your money)

2) Package hunt ($200 to $300 a day), you pay a kill fee on whatever you shoot based on a predetermined scale. These are usually guided hunts where the guide will price out the animals as you see them. The fee covers room and board, in my opinion this is a safer bet when hunting a unknown ranch. There are some real deals here if you are a meet hunter and don't care about trophy.

3) Websites, there are a lot of websites ( www.junctiontexas.com , www.deertexas.com, Texas Hunting Report), also the local chamber of commerce web sites, small town breakfast hangouts and feed stores are good sources of information.

4) For annual & seasonal leases the rate I try to negotiate is $10 a acre, depending on accommodations, water, cattle or goats and other ranch conditions. I strive for no more than one gun per 300 acres.

Hope this helps, I am actually making a last minute change myself. The ranch we have hunted for the last five years has let greed get the better part of its management and has caused us to make a last change.
We have been on the same 12,000 acres for 10 years.....culling and game management is paramount to a successful lease.......and high fencing.
Hunteradventurer, if you run across something promising, could you pass the information on?
The words "inexpensive" and "hill country lease" should never be in the same sentence. They together don't exist.
I spend more money deerhunting than dearhunting......I'm just saying.
  • bbkid
  • 11-01-2010, 01:35 PM
I spend more money deerhunting than dearhunting......I'm just saying. Originally Posted by dearhunter
Hell, I never knew you "dearhunted".
It's a secret......everyone is supposed to thinck I just post to stir shit up and because I can't get laid.
  • bbkid
  • 11-01-2010, 02:27 PM
It's a secret......everyone is supposed to thinck I just post to stir shit up and because I can't get laid. Originally Posted by dearhunter
Whew. That was close one. I almost thought I was mistaken or had misremembered.
Get with the program......it is called "senile"........and it is a state of mind.......thinck on that one for a while.