RIP Ms. Etta James.

Dont wanna sound stupid but whi is she
A great singer and songwriter from the 50's and 60's, she made the soundtrack to my infatuations...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etta_James

she's who beyonce played in Cadillac Records... she sang "At Last"
She lived an "out there" lifestyle that included at times self destructive drugs and alcohol. I'm glad she survived that.

Before your time Super Head and almost before mine. But I like female Blues singers of old. They could croon. They have real tallent that was not manufactured by a record company. Entertainment was her voice, not some crazy dancing, light show as endless costume changes. They were not that kind of diva. Not that Maddona and Lady Gaga don't have tallent. But these Blues singers like Ella Fitzgerald, Lena Horne, and of course Billie Holiday had "it". Google them and check out videos and have a listen to of some of their stuff.

Also check out this movie if you ever get a chance: Cabin in the Sky http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035703/ Great musical by Vincent Minnelli. One of the first all color, all black cast musicals. Great, Great movie that I really enjoyed. Besides the singing, some of the dancing was fantastic. Micheal Jackson must have studied it. There is an early "moon walk" in it. Google Cabin in the Sky and check the clips from it. Look for a young James Earl Jones with his districtive voice.

P.S. Lena Horne was the first black woman, looks wise, I fell in love with back in my youth She was always a knock out with thoose big pearly whites.

RIP Etta
Saw her live at the Monterrey Jazz Festival years ago with the Johnny Otis show.
She will be missed.
SH713 you need to go to u tube to listen to some of her songs. You will be impressed.
Saw her live at the Monterrey Jazz Festival years ago with the Johnny Otis show.
She will be missed.
SH713 you need to go to u tube to listen to some of her songs. You will be impressed. Originally Posted by tyboy1
Sweet!
She will be missed......great talent
Saw her live at the Monterrey Jazz Festival years ago with the Johnny Otis show. Originally Posted by tyboy1
Johnny Otis, her guru, passed a couple days before Etta did. He was 90. "Willie and the Hand Jive" was the unofficial anthem of my high school football team (Except for that game we lost...then it was "Hang Down Your Head, Tom Dooley"). Johnny was a Greek! Who knew? Not me.

R.I.P. Johnny and Etta, thank you both
RIP.

Truly talented woman that I still enjoy to this day!

(off listening to my fav CD of her music)...

Genesis Nicole
RIP Etta James. I only have one of her songs in my collection, a cover of Ray Charles' What I Say, but it's one of my favorites. She will be missed.