.45 Colt 1911 question

I know a couple of you own a 1911 or a version of one, so I have a quick question.

I had a beautiful Colt 1911, but somehow or another I just couldn't get comfortable with it. I guess it was having to put weight on the grip safety and I just couldn't aim accurately with the weapon and squeezing the grip safety at the same time.

Looking at it, it seems like it would be a no brainer because you're squeezing the grip safety while aiming, but I just couldn't seem to get the timing down.

As users of the 1911 did you have any problems with this, or did it just work itself out with practice?

You're over thinking it. I have two 1911's. My favorites to shoot. Just grip it like any gun you shot and the grip safety is engaged. Don't treat it as if it's seperate.
Couple of options.

First get a grip safety with a 'speed bump' on it. Common upgrade that should solve the issue.

Second, wrap some electrical tape over it to hold it down. It's not the primary or secondary safety for that weapon and majority of pistols don't have it.

They are great guns and I prize those that I have.

You're holding it to high.
Your flesh web between thumb and index finger should easily hold the bottom of that safety down.
This is a common error wherein the 1911 recoil causes folks to hold the handle high. Especially if the ammo has a high grain count. I had to teach ECG this handle hold as she was used to smaller lead throwers that do not have this safety.
This is not my Vicki, but 99% close enough. Yes plated and ivory grips.
If you place your dominant thumb (assuming you are right hand dominant) on top of the safety lever and push down and in while you are shooting, this should work for 99% of average hands.

I don't recommend taping or pinning the grip safety down, or sawing off the trigger guard a la Texas Rangers. If you have to use the pistol in a defensive situation, de-activating any factory safety could haunt you.

Remember that the two predecessors J.M. Browning submitted to the US Department of War (the Colt 1905 and Colt 1908) did not have a either a manual safety or a grip safety and the Department of War wrote both into the specs for a reason.

Before it was finally, completely taken out of service in the 1990s, millions of "GI" hands learned how to shoot the pistol with zero mods or upgrades.

Not to be picky, but your picture is a 1911A1 (circa mid 1930s), not a 1911. One of the mods in the A1 spec was to extend the tang on the grip safety to alleviate "hammer bite", not to help in deactivation of the safety.
True
Mine is a early 40s.
I usually forget to mention the A1.
The plated ivory is what I was comparing to.

Folks letting the machine set low in their hand has always been the issue I've seen.
I have a Colt Gold Cup Trophy. You shouldn't even notice it.
Shoot it one handed like they do for 50 yd competition and see if you notice a difference.

Gripped properly, it is not a factor.
You shouldn't experience much, if any muzzle flip.
^^^^^ Exactly
The beauty of J.M. Browning's design includes a very low bore center to grip angle. Shoot any one of the plastic guns with a higher bore center (to house the striker mechanism in the slide) and there's usually much more pronounced muzzle lift. I've shot 9mm plastic guns that had more muzzle lift than shooting a Government Model with straight up +P 230 grain loads.

The 1911 is still the standard for ergonomics and straight back trigger press. Nothing since it comes close, which is why some variant of the 1911 accounts for about 50% of all new handgun sales annually in the US.

Combat Tupperware lovers hate on the 1911 until they put a few magazines through it. Then watch them sell their plastic fantasticks to pay for their first 1911...