This guy nails it. It is exactly why Paul Ryan will be the anchor that sinks the SS Romney

• WTF
  • 08-12-2012, 10:53 AM
http://www.vanityfair.com/society/fe...percent-201105

Alexis de Tocqueville once described what he saw as a chief part of the peculiar genius of American society—something he called “self-interest properly understood.” The last two words were the key. Everyone possesses self-interest in a narrow sense: I want what’s good for me right now! Self-interest “properly understood” is different. It means appreciating that paying attention to everyone else’s self-interest—in other words, the common welfare—is in fact a precondition for one’s own ultimate well-being. Tocqueville was not suggesting that there was anything noble or idealistic about this outlook—in fact, he was suggesting the opposite. It was a mark of American pragmatism. Those canny Americans understood a basic fact: looking out for the other guy isn’t just good for the soul—it’s good for business.
The top 1 percent have the best houses, the best educations, the best doctors, and the best lifestyles, but there is one thing that money doesn’t seem to have bought: an understanding that their fate is bound up with how the other 99 percent live. Throughout history, this is something that the top 1 percent eventually do learn. Too late
I didn't notice any reference to Ryan. The author could be describing either Obama or Romney. Both are beholding solely to the 1%.
  • WTF
  • 08-12-2012, 11:12 AM
I didn't notice any reference to Ryan. The author could be describing either Obama or Romney. Both are beholding solely to the 1%. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
I referenced Ryan.

Not hard to figure out that cutting Social Services while giving tax cuts to the top 1% is what Paul Ryan is for.

The Dems will beat him over the head with that.

I'm not saying the Dem s are better, I am saying wtf is going to happen.

I am also on record as saying that income inequity is bad for a nation after a certain point. I think we have reached that point.

The Tea Nuts started their little party because of the auto and bank bailouts...something Ryan voted for. It is really funny to watch them clamor around him now with their eyes closed and thumbs in their ears!
It means appreciating that paying attention to everyone else’s self-interest—in other words, the common welfare—is in fact a precondition for one’s own ultimate well-being. Originally Posted by WTF
Someone doesn't spend much time on the toll roads around here.
Ryan is a RINO. Probably the stupidest choice among the contenders.

Looks like we'll be getting a second term for Obama, which will allow us to look straight down the barrel of fascism. Then maybe the Tea Party and Liberty Movement will understand the Establishment has no respect for them, and we'll get off our asses and do something. We aren't going to restore America with the help of Democrats or Republicans. Forget about that, we will have to do it in spite of them.

We need to make so they either get on board or get out of the way. We aren't playing their game anymore.