Indy 500 winner Wheldon dies after massive wreck

http://sports.yahoo.com/irl/news;_yl...s-massivewreck

I love Indy500 and Nascar.Condolences to Dan Wheldon's family and friends.
I moved this thread here - more appropriate here than in coed discussions, which are supposed to be hobby related.

I was watching the race, which I had hoped would be one that decided the championship competitively. My first thought was that this track was unsuitable for Indycars - way too fast for open wheel racing. That was proven by 3 and 4 wide racing at over 200mph with 34 cars in the pack and with so many less experienced drivers. A big wreck was inevitable, and it happened because of a slight miscalculation. I believe they did the right thing by cancelling the rest of the race - that track is just too dangerous for open wheel race cars - fine for NASCAR, but not for Indycars.

JaG
RIP DAN, Indy said this was the worst crash in there history,was it me or did anyone else see Danica Patrick,the guys were very upset and some were crying,but her cry seemed fake to me
Wildcat, this was a great trajedy as I myself love INDY and NASCAR. I saw the footage from his car that had been put online for viewers to see right before his demise...so terrible!
Mina:

I think ABC made a big mistake when they showed Wheldon's in car video - it appeared that his right front wheel was about to strike him at the end of the video. Even if that wasn't what killed him, it was bad form to show that video when it was obvious that his was a very serious crash - the crash team had even covered his car, which is always a very bad sign.

lowgear - I doubt that Patrick's tears were false. ABC showed one shot where she was being led back into the paddock sobbing and being comforted by a team member. I doubt if any driver was unaffected by this, since it could so easily have been any of them. In 1955, John Fitch saw the crash at LeMans that killed a driver and scores of spectators. He was a very successful driver, but he parked his Mercedes, never raced again, and worked to improve on track safety. Not sure how relevant that is to your comment about Danica, but it's one example of how a death can affect another driver.

JaG
I moved this thread here - more appropriate here than in coed discussions, which are supposed to be hobby related.

JaG Originally Posted by JustaGuyinMS
Thank you Jag.My Mistake and i will try to not make it again anytime soon.

I agree some of the tracks are very dangerous and it is a tragedy when something like this happens.The bad thing was he was only 33 and just beginning to live his life.
Wildcat:

This was certainly not a spanking offense, unless you want it to be...heeheehee.

Racing is dangerous, and all drivers recognize that, if they're sane. But it doesn't have to be stupid dangerous, which is what putting 34 Indycars on a steeply banked 1.5 mile oval is. My $.02 about Indaycar's attempts to raise their exposure.

JaG
Wildcat:

This was certainly not a spanking offense, unless you want it to be...heeheehee.

JaG Originally Posted by JustaGuyinMS
O my.I didn't realize you mods still hand out spankings anymore.I haven't heard you all doing that in a long time.Hell ya i wanna spanking and want to be tied up when you give it.

Now back to the thread.I got into the racing along time ago and yes i would have to say because the wrecks they have drew my attention to it and made it exciting.Hate it when someone gets killed in it.He was a great race car driver and will be remembered.
such a sad story!!