What exactly is the "South Side" of Austin...

I am sooo geographically challenged, and after 2 years, I still use a gps to get around this town. So, please don't think I'm just asking an ignorant question. I really don't know....

What exactly do you all consider the "South Side" of Austin?? I think I've heard someone refer to it as the other side of the lake?

I have always offered incall in the NW area. But, am contemplating heading south, for a change. But, I need to know what south entails?

Can someone clue in the clueless here? Please?...

Alisha...xoxo
traditionally, South austin was South of the River/Town lake. You are correct. I used to live in North Austin, (koenig @ Lamar) but in the last 10-15 yrs my location has been termed as Central. Austin got a lot larger .....
South of the river --Yep!
Hey Nug, your just around the corner from me-- in a manner of speaking.
Howdy MS;
I'm about 1/2 blk from DPS. West.
Alisha, South Austin has always been determined to be South of Town Lake, or today it is known as Lady Bird Lake, I have lived here 30 years, South Austin was always considered to be the hippy, laid back, keep Austin weird area. Funky restaurants, artists and musicians all located south of the river. Local joke was you needed a passport if you were a liberal Northside resident. South Austin still to this day thives to keep the beat of the drum going.......
I think 78704 is the real s austin. As far as an incall, I have had 2 south and one nw. I prefer s austin. It seems that there is quite a bit of division. People on the south side tend to stay south and visa versa. I don't know if that applies to the hobby all that much? Good luck if you choose to move. I think you will like it.
don't leave out 78748
In the past 10 years I have had a few zip codes and by far 04 is the coolest...
technically south of the river but to a true austinite.... south looks and feels too much like North austin.... RIP to what made austin TRULY weird
Probably anything south of Slaughter Lane and north of Manchaca city limits.
hmmmm, I'm in 78748 and its not like North Austin unless you get over towards I-35. Honestly, I do not like going north of the river (except for one atf )......most of it looks to much like any major community, especially around the Domain, north Lamarr, etc... There is this little bar near my place (1/2 mile) that is sooooo South Austin. Bear and wine sold on site, but you can bring your own liquor and they'll sell you the mixers! But to me south Austin is south of the river and between Brodie and 1st....
Probably anything south of Slaughter Lane and north of Manchaca city limits. Originally Posted by Sternomancer
That's not south Austin, that's the northern suburbs of San Antonio!

I loves me some 78704!
wow, San Antonio's reach has grown long indeed!
I've lived here since 1970. And yes, south of the river is traditionally, South Austin. However, IMHO, South Austin is now anything south of Ben White/HWY 71/290 West. Things have changed dramatically from the river to Ben White - it's become a 2010 hippie/upscale urban/definitely very weird kind of place. And definitely different from south of Ben White. You could probably attract south Austin clients, and central Austin clients, by using one the first street upscale hotels as an incall. By the way, my place is definitely in South Austin. If you would like a personal tour just send me a PM.
  • Carl
  • 03-31-2010, 06:46 PM
Yeah, a lot of what was old South Austin just south of the river, at least down to Oltorf Rd, has been gentrified by newcomers. A lot of the old school S. Austinites are now either south of Ben White or they sold out to the gentrifiers and moved out of Austin altogether and into smaller towns like Kyle on the southern end or Spicewood out NW.