Hobby Phones - Where do you hide them?

• PSP
  • 04-16-2009, 12:32 PM
I know hobby phones are common these days to protect privacy and anonymity. What are some of the better hiding places to keep the SO from discovering them? If your SO is already a little suspicious, finding a hobby phone would send her over the deep end. TIA.

psp
That is a tough one. I also think about "If I die, what do I want them to NOT find". Hate for the family to discover my shenanigans postmortem. So far, I have used my own phone for those I that are well-known and Google voice for new people.
  • Maxx
  • 04-16-2009, 02:12 PM
That's a good question PSP. I guess that would depend upon some things. Do you work in an office? Are you a daytime hobbyist? Do you have seperate cars? I can think of some places to hide the hobby phone but most would definately be as far away from the s/o as possible. Is she a mechanic? hide it under the hood in a box. Good question!

FMH - After your gone and they find out you were a hobbyist it'll answer the questions your s/o never could quite lay her hands on and you really won't care anyway!
I don't care what might wife would learn, but I prefer my children not have to try to understand.
That is a tough one. I also think about "If I die, what do I want them to NOT find". Hate for the family to discover my shenanigans postmortem. So far, I have used my own phone for those I that are well-known and Google voice for new people. Originally Posted by FatManHobbyist

"Shenanigans"

You make me happy.

~Kelly TNT
"Shenanigans"

You make me happy. Originally Posted by Kelly TNT
That's what my shenanigans are for.
If you don't share a car there should be some obscure hidden panel in almost any car that the wife would never look. Just don't hide it under the spare tire because my SO has borrowed my car before and had a flat. Glad nothing was hidden there.
My next phone will be an iPhone and I will use a VOIP solution with it... either Skype or Google Voice. If the iPhone is anything like the iPod Touch, you can set it so if someone enters the lock code incorrectly ten times, it erases all the data on the phone. Nice. I am still waiting for a service similar to www.deathswitch.com but more extensive like canceling subscriptions, deleting accounts, and erasing files.
Mine happens to be the same make & model as my normal phone except it's older and kinda scratched up...

I keep it in my laptop bag, even keep it charged up, and "it's my spare from work in case I drop my normal phone" (which has happened too often). I keep it turned off in my laptop bag with the SIM chip in another compartment of the bag, so some assembly is required when I need to use it (only when out of town). I'm by no means a "frequent flyer" so that might be too much work. But I don't think there's any chance that rogue SIM chip would cause me a problem, because 'it must have fallen out of that old spare phone from work'
Is she a mechanic? hide it under the hood in a box. Originally Posted by Maxx
OMG! Thats sooo funny, cause I'd never check under the hood of a car! LoL
You Guys are soo sneeky. See... Thats I can't Trust my boyfriend, because I know how sneeky guys can be. LMFAO
Might get a bit toasty under the hood.
  • npita
  • 05-16-2009, 08:44 AM
I just did a search on google for briefcases with false bottoms and it appears there are also laptop cases with false bottoms. It's not something I need to worry about, so I have not checked to see how obvious the false compartment would be, but it might be worth checking. Some are quite expensive, so I would guess the concealment is done fairly well and the briefcase itself would be of good quality.

Is she a mechanic? hide it under the hood in a box.
Or better, put it in the air intake where the air filter goes.
My next phone will be an iPhone and I will use a VOIP solution with it... either Skype or Google Voice. Originally Posted by FatManHobbyist
I've been experimenting with Skype for an entrepreneurial venture and I must say it works very well. Since you can have a phone number and voice mail for Skype, I would say it's the best option. It provides Caller ID for the providers to identify you and a callback#/voicemail in case they need to dial you back.

The most important thing about Skype is that it takes you off the grid. The LE won't be able to triangulate your calls since they are routed over the Internet and not from your cellphone carrier. Those calls will appear as if you are just surfing the net. If you are a business person, you already have the sunk cost in your data plan for email. Your only expense will be the Skype annual fees.

The other good part is more providers should get on Skype. This would allow folks to IM versus sending TXT. TXT can be traced, tracked, and read. I dread any provider sending me a TXT. It's a like a detailed digital fingerprint. It is never truly erased even though its no longer on your phone. A simple court order could reveal everything.

You Guys are soo sneeky. See... Thats I can't Trust my boyfriend, because I know how sneeky guys can be. LMFAO Originally Posted by Miss Sexy Hollywood
Miss Hollywood, I would encourage you to trust your boyfriend until he gives you reason to believe otherwise. I don't believe we are being sneaky. Think of it this way, we are protecting the sanctity of our brotherhood/sisterhood and the community. One person caught slipping can unravel a whole community and unintentionally injure others in the life and not just at home.

Phones with Windows Mobile OS are great phones for Skype. They are available on every carrier and you are not locked into to AT&T with the iPhone. iPhones are great. AT&T has questionable service.

The best thing about Skype is you can put the headset mic on your computer and dial-out without using your phone at all.

I've noticed that this new bulletin board software also has a field for Skype in the profile. Once I update my phone in the coming months, I know I'll be adding Skype to my profile as well.

In the end, there's no second phone that needs to be hidden or discovered. Furthermore, there are no children left trying to figure out what the fuck dad was doing on Father's Day.

Great discussion.
Very useful information. Thanks
elopXXXXXXXXXXX,

From a techno challenged member would you mind walking me through a skype set up for an iPhone, Where to start and how to get there.

thabear