Hobby Phone

What's the preferred method these days? I don't hobby enough anymore to keep up a prepaid phone, yet I can't use my normal cell for privacy reasons.

What is everyone out there using now?
Google Voice
I second that....google voice is awesome!
I was going to start a thread for this, but since it has come up I will ask my questions here instead.

1. I am still not able to receive texts, however sending texts works fine.

2. GV masks outgoing calls with a randomly generated number or at least that is what I perceive. This number is what appears on the call log and ultimately, the statement. However, incoming calls are not masked at all. The actual number appears in the call log and shows up on caller ID. This is an issue.

I'm sure there is a good possibility that I have something setup improperly. I have searched in the app and in the online account for options to change this to no avail.

It seems coincidental that both issues have to do with incoming communications. So, I'm open to suggestions.
Google voice
i am familiar with Google Voice and would like to abandon my Virgin Mobile hobby phone. so that i don't screw-up the execution and my anonimity , can someone explain how i should utilize Google Voice for hobby purposes ? thanks.
Essentially you set up your GV account by downloading the ap, selecting a number, etc. Then you make your calls from the ap, which 1st calls your phone and after you answer, it dials the number you want to call. Your real number is never revealed, just the GV number.
Just use your wife's cell phone.
I use GV, but exclusively communicate with providers via text. I never make phone calls. Sometimes a provider wants to call so that they know I am legit. But that rarely happens since I have p411. I also have 'do not disturb' set on my GV. So no one can call my cell at any time.

Works great. Just be sure to log out of your GV app, when you are done hobbying for the day.
I've read elsewhere that there are advantages to using the web interface when it comes to anonymity. Anyone care to comment on that?

At the very least, I would not want the app residing on my phone, or my computer when I sync.

I'm still reluctant to make the switch, as I don't trust that my smartphone will avoid making a connection between RL and hobby life.
Another vote for google voice. I do 99% of my communication by email or text and it's perfect. I use the web app for all my texting and never downloaded the GV app.

I use the talkatone app when I need to make calls. You log on through your GV account and it routes your GV calls over the net so there are no incoming or outgoing calls in your cell log.

But since i don't want the talkatone app in my iTunes app list, I always delete it before I sync. It only takes a few seconds to download and log in on appointment days. After an appointment i return it to 'do not disturb' as well.
For those who don't want the app to show up: on iPhones it will show up automatically when iOS 5 comes out. Everything is done via the cloud on ios 5. Once you install an app, it will be in your account and available to download on all your other devices.
For those who don't want the app to show up: on iPhones it will show up automatically when iOS 5 comes out. Everything is done via the cloud on ios 5. Once you install an app, it will be in your account and available to download on all your other devices. Originally Posted by bailey243
Unfortunately ios5 seems hellbent on complicating a system that isn't broken.

Why do I want to stream music and content I've already paid for?

Why do I want to push media purchases to all devices?

Managing content for accounts with multiple users/tastes is going to be more cumbersome, no easier.

With flash memory being cheap and cell companies common down on data usage, pushinf the 'cloud' concept seems a bit odd.
  • Aflac
  • 09-26-2011, 01:46 PM
I've read elsewhere that there are advantages to using the web interface when it comes to anonymity. Anyone care to comment on that?

At the very least, I would not want the app residing on my phone, or my computer when I sync.

I'm still reluctant to make the switch, as I don't trust that my smartphone will avoid making a connection between RL and hobby life. Originally Posted by TinMan

TM - I've been transitioning to GV over the last few weeks. Here is what I am seeing with it...

I'm using GV for texting and for calls and you can use the web interface for either.

In your phone browser go to http://www/google.com/voice - that's the web interface. But you know that.

Pros? Close your browser and clear your browser history and there isn't anything to be "found" sitting on your phone by an SO.

Cons? Much easier to just use the app to manage calls. The app has easier notifications and integration with your phone.

I've done some testing and if I set GV to show the caller's caller ID, my call history at ATT shows the original caller's caller ID. Don't like having that in the "record" for discovery. So, I set GV to show my GV # when someone calls me. Although I don't know who exactly is calling me, my call history at ATT shows my GV # only. I'm more comfortable having to create an explanation for one GV # that calls me rather than random numbers that can be identified many times with a Google search that shows number in reviews. (Plus, I have two "wingman" friends who will always swear that they've called me and will cover for me if it comes to having to explain certain things like that.)

So, set GV to only show me the GV # on caller ID, don't install the GV app on my phone, clean out my browser cache and I'm feeling good that, short of LE or some authority intervening, I'm not too exposed. The trick is me maintaining the discipline to clear that browser cache and history on my phone. Get lazy and the risk goes up. Staying diligent only requires that you spend the 15 seconds required to browse and login to the web interface.

There may be some things I'm missing but that's the key items I've discovered so far.

Anyone else have thoughts around the web interface vs usage of the installed app with respect to keeping things "quiet"?
Like I wrote above, the Talkatone app. It provides all the text/phone functionality of the GV app to your GV line, but routes calls online instead of your cell line. That means NO incoming/outgoing calls in your phone log for GV calls.

TM - I've been transitioning to GV over the last few weeks. Here is what I am seeing with it...

I'm using GV for texting and for calls and you can use the web interface for either.

In your phone browser go to http://www/google.com/voice - that's the web interface. But you know that.

Pros? Close your browser and clear your browser history and there isn't anything to be "found" sitting on your phone by an SO.

Cons? Much easier to just use the app to manage calls. The app has easier notifications and integration with your phone.

I've done some testing and if I set GV to show the caller's caller ID, my call history at ATT shows the original caller's caller ID. Don't like having that in the "record" for discovery. So, I set GV to show my GV # when someone calls me. Although I don't know who exactly is calling me, my call history at ATT shows my GV # only. I'm more comfortable having to create an explanation for one GV # that calls me rather than random numbers that can be identified many times with a Google search that shows number in reviews. (Plus, I have two "wingman" friends who will always swear that they've called me and will cover for me if it comes to having to explain certain things like that.)

So, set GV to only show me the GV # on caller ID, don't install the GV app on my phone, clean out my browser cache and I'm feeling good that, short of LE or some authority intervening, I'm not too exposed. The trick is me maintaining the discipline to clear that browser cache and history on my phone. Get lazy and the risk goes up. Staying diligent only requires that you spend the 15 seconds required to browse and login to the web interface.

There may be some things I'm missing but that's the key items I've discovered so far.

Anyone else have thoughts around the web interface vs usage of the installed app with respect to keeping things "quiet"? Originally Posted by Aflac