What's the thing you are most proud of about your hometown?

I love Philly and think is is a well-kept secret. You have so much going for you; sports, restaurants, architecture, history, geographical proximity. What is it you would most like to share with the rest of the world?
Clair,

You listed most of the fine attributes of Philadelphia but the two that I think are most noteworthy are the historical significance of the city and its museums. Both Boston and Philadelphia were important to the growth of the U.S. but Philly was the true epicenter where the real work was done while Boston was held by the British. But the history is reinforced by the preservation of the buildings and neighborhoods where it took place.

Philadelphia's museums are also world class. The Philadelphia Museum of Art is just superb. The Rodin Museum is also great and when the Barnes Foundation collection moves to the Parkway, it will just add to the cultural importance of the city. And how about the Franklin Institute? I have been going there for decades and I enjoy it as much as the kids do.

Finally, the restaurant scene is vibrant, ever changing, generally affordable (love those BBYB's) and all within easy reach of Center City.

I think people spend too much time rating and comparing cities. The better approach is to appreciate each for its singular virtues and unique character.
i was born and raised in Philly and I rememeber center city at christmas time back when Wanamakers was there...i love coming home and look forward to it at the end of Jan..
I can still remember standing near the Wanamaker's Eagle and listening to John Facenda's voice telling the story at the show. Then we would walk down Market Street to see the Christmas Village at Lits Brothers (I am giving away my age with that comment..lol).

SBK

i was born and raised in Philly and I rememeber center city at christmas time back when Wanamakers was there...i love coming home and look forward to it at the end of Jan.. Originally Posted by Irish Vixen
... the restaurant scene is vibrant, ever changing, generally affordable (love those BBYB's) and all within easy reach of Center City... Originally Posted by awl4knot
Let's not forget those delicasies for which the Philly area is famous. Like: Cheese Steaks, Hoagies, Birch Beer, and Scrapple to mention only a few.
All the tangible things have been mentioned, however, it is the intangible things that make living here so great ... all the neighbors sitting on the front stoop sharing drinks and nibblers during the summer...the feeling of belonging to the little area in which you live...having most of your friends and family living within a 2 block radius...walking to the corner bar when there is 2 feet of snow on the ground and knowing every person in the place, not to mention their kids, their mother and their grandmother....and all 3 of those generations are also sitting in there bitching about all the snow.........for me its the "feeling" of Philadelphia that makes it great
cool post--makes me want to visit! sounds interesting!!
cool post--makes me want to visit! sounds interesting!! Originally Posted by DallasRain
Dallas: you should visit! This town needs shakin' up and you are just the right gal for that job!!

See you in Nola as soon as I can make my way down there. Got stuck, ya know??
lol--cool...I might do that one day

see ya soon Clair!!Cant wait!