Safe Haven is Crashing

Last week proved that Gold as a Safe Haven Investment is totally worthless. The stock market crashed and guess what, the safe haven that should be souring in such a case crashed together with it. How far? No one knows, even the dips did not activate buying and that is a very dangerous signal.
I have no idea what we will see next week but little is needed to start panic selling and a total free fall as a result.

Are there really safe havens? Some people say it is stocks that are "recession proof" like Procter & Gamble, Coca Cola, McDonalds, DollarTree, Philip Morris and Verizon, AT & T.

The dollar proved that it is still the best safe have currency, the Euro, British Pound and even the Swiss Franc are losing sharply against the dollar.
The dollar index is up to 78.5 from 73 in the last few weeks

How would you protect your nest egg?
Just to be clear; are you saying gold will not go higher than the peak price of $1,925?

I don't think you understand the true concept of "safe haven"......even if gold were to fall signficantly more it still represents a "safe haven" to many around the world...in the event of a true world calamity; gold is a reliable commodity for obtaining food to eat, freedom to move out of a crisis country, or any number of situations....

IMO your "safe haven" concept represents some yuppie idea of return on investment; while many around the world think of gold as a stockpile to be used in the event of true calamity; in which civil order breaks down and gold can be relied on for trade and survival.

That being said; I think the only true "safe haven" is guns, bullets, land, and beast.
Last week proved that Gold as a Safe Haven Investment is totally worthless. The stock market crashed and guess what, the safe haven that should be souring in such a case crashed together with it. How far? No one knows, even the dips did not activate buying and that is a very dangerous signal.
I have no idea what we will see next week but little is needed to start panic selling and a total free fall as a result.

Are there really safe havens? Some people say it is stocks that are "recession proof" like Procter & Gamble, Coca Cola, McDonalds, DollarTree, Philip Morris and Verizon, AT & T.

The dollar proved that it is still the best safe have currency, the Euro, British Pound and even the Swiss Franc are losing sharply against the dollar.

How would you protect your nest egg? Originally Posted by waverunner234
Protect your nest egg buy buying silver! Either get your hands on the physical or people can play the paper silver asset ETF (SLV). I wouldn't worry about gold and silver taking a dip, the sky isn't falling, IT'S GOING TO REPRESENT A MASSIVE BUYING OPPORTUNITY FOR THE PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T GOT IN IF IT GOES EVEN LOWER, ESPECIALLY FOR SILVER! Coin shop dealers know that, some places around my location are selling silver eagles at $35 an ounce right now, some places are selling it higher. Currently on Monex it's sitting at $31 but your not going to be able to get it at $31. Just look at the trends for the precious metals! You can't look at the market on a daily or weekly basis and say that gold and silver are a bad investment. Look at the long term trend! The metals are going down but they will go right back up as the paper game continues! Know your exit strategy as well!

The people in for the long-term, as in 401(k) retirement holders are getting killed, literally robbed, mainly the middle class and poor! Screw paper assets such as the stock market. The "recession proof" stocks that you named are dividend payers and if you don't think MCD will come crashing down in stock market crash, I don't know what to say. These aren't normal market conditions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=229xhvgnxd0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhLVX...er_profilepage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=gZgPCuzvWmE
Or people can just get totally out of the market and sit on the sidelines. Wait for the smoke to clear and then redeploy the troops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2gtT...yer_detailpage

I had to post this, I just love this poster! It's not a representation of me and what I believe in but there's a lot of truth to it.

golfcarts man, golfcarts subsidized by the American people. Good Luck.
golfcarts man, golfcarts subsidized by the American people. Good Luck. Originally Posted by IIFFOFRDB
didn't I hear if you make them street worthy, high & tail lights + windshield washer, it cost practically nothing?
golfcarts man, golfcarts subsidized by the American people. Good Luck. Originally Posted by IIFFOFRDB
How about everyone get a Hoveround and put in a claim for social security insurance!
Just to be clear; are you saying gold will not go higher than the peak price of $1,925?

I don't think you understand the true concept of "safe haven"......even if gold were to fall signficantly more it still represents a "safe haven" to many around the world...in the event of a true world calamity; gold is a reliable commodity for obtaining food to eat, freedom to move out of a crisis country, or any number of situations....

IMO your "safe haven" concept represents some yuppie idea of return on investment; while many around the world think of gold as a stockpile to be used in the event of true calamity; in which civil order breaks down and gold can be relied on for trade and survival.

That being said; I think the only true "safe haven" is guns, bullets, land, and beast. Originally Posted by Whirlaway
Well if shit really got bad and the metals do retrace their lost ground which I'm sure they will, a person could also use metals to trade for real estate, land, someones wife, anything that has value. If the paper value of gold went to lets say $5000 in a hypothetical scenario and silver went to $400 or more there would be some people who would be willing to trade asset for asset. $5000 gold would be out of reach for the common man at that point, thats the "value." The fiat would have to literally become toilet paper. Scenarios like this have happened in human history. Who's to say it can't happen again?

What if the value of gold went to $10,000 for one troy ounce in fiat currency, would you trade it for $10,000 in fiat money at that point, or more? At that point everyone on the planet will know the true value of gold, people have done worse things to their fellow man for a $1.45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4s0n...yer_detailpage A Country Boy Can Survive!
"Those who fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past."

George Santayana
  • Laz
  • 09-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Look at the price of gold or silver in the late 70's and early 80's.
...make them street worthy, ...... it cost practically nothing? Originally Posted by cptjohnstone
Replace the roof with solar paneling to recharge the system ....

Markets ebb and flow...that includes commodities. And yes, gold is a commodity. Gold's problem is that it has no intrinsic value on it's own...it's worth what everybody says it's worth. I like gold, and silver...it's a commodity with a history of being money...but as money the value has been fixed by government. I have a little bit of gold and a lot of silver....but I see that as my emergency get-out-of-town stash, something to bribe the TSA VIPR team with who are on I-10 blocking my exit to the Hill Country or the Gulf Coast.

But that's the doomsday scenario...no more nest egg, because we just went to hell and a hand basket.

One problem I see with gold....government (particularly this one) has in times past BANNED the ownership of gold. History tends to repeat itself, and you could see FDR's signature move all over again. If things get bad, you think Obama won't start confiscating gold and outlaw it's use as an exchange medium....at a deflated price fixed by the government....if that happens, government can collect hundreds of BILLIONS of gold on the cheap, because the price will shoot up, but Americans will have to supply it at a discounted reimbursement price (if they're reimbursed at all!)

As far as nest egg.... I like what Jim Cramer (I know he's a blowhard, so you can save it) calls accidental high-yielders getting 6-8% returns on ....if you look at that but ALSO look at companies which have been around for a century or more....they're not going away anytime soon. Established companies make stuff, and while the value rises and falls, they will always be worth something, short of 100% nationalization and seizure, but then again, if that happens, we're turning into a Marxist dictatorship (I argue we're 3 executive orders from being there anyway). In that case, retirement and your nest egg won't matter, money won't matter, because you will live and die at the behest and on behalf of the State with whatever they let you have.

I had to post this, I just love this poster! It's not a representation of me and what I believe in but there's a lot of truth to it. Originally Posted by CPT Savajo
It's Il Duce!!!!
Markets ebb and flow...that includes commodities. And yes, gold is a commodity. Gold's problem is that it has no intrinsic value on it's own...it's worth what everybody says it's worth. I like gold, and silver...it's a commodity with a history of being money...but as money the value has been fixed by government. I have a little bit of gold and a lot of silver....but I see that as my emergency get-out-of-town stash, something to bribe the TSA VIPR team with who are on I-10 blocking my exit to the Hill Country or the Gulf Coast.

But that's the doomsday scenario...no more nest egg, because we just went to hell and a hand basket.

One problem I see with gold....government (particularly this one) has in times past BANNED the ownership of gold. History tends to repeat itself, and you could see FDR's signature move all over again. If things get bad, you think Obama won't start confiscating gold and outlaw it's use as an exchange medium....at a deflated price fixed by the government....if that happens, government can collect hundreds of BILLIONS of gold on the cheap, because the price will shoot up, but Americans will have to supply it at a discounted reimbursement price (if they're reimbursed at all!)

As far as nest egg.... I like what Jim Cramer (I know he's a blowhard, so you can save it) calls accidental high-yielders getting 6-8% returns on ....if you look at that but ALSO look at companies which have been around for a century or more....they're not going away anytime soon. Established companies make stuff, and while the value rises and falls, they will always be worth something, short of 100% nationalization and seizure, but then again, if that happens, we're turning into a Marxist dictatorship (I argue we're 3 executive orders from being there anyway). In that case, retirement and your nest egg won't matter, money won't matter, because you will live and die at the behest and on behalf of the State with whatever they let you have. Originally Posted by TexanAtPlay
Gold has no intrinsic value? Well if it did get outlawed do you still think it wouldn't have intrinsic value? To each his own my friend.

http://www.infowars.com/france-bans-...lver-over-600/ A powerful article. Check the date of the article. Did the mainstream media come out and tell everyone this? Will they?

Of course people need to do their own research and come to their own conclusion.