There, their & they're

Normally, the grammar of others doesn't drive me too crazy, considering mine ain't always the greatest. However, this particular error is starting to get on my nerves...yikes! Here's a link that might help if you're (aka: your...LOL) confused and need a refresher.

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-There,-Their-and-They%27re
This needed to be said. Thank you.
Max, thanks! I simply thought that my school days were so long ago that I actually learned the proper uses of "there", "their", and "they're"!
Ahhh, I love that I'm not the only one that is semi-annoyed by bad spelling and grammar. I know that no one is good at everything, but this just happens to be the thing that grates my nerves a bit. Perhaps because it is so rampant. The occasional typo is one thing. Blatant disregard for those 12 years of school your parents paid for is another. Obviously, if you suffer from dyslexia, I'm not talking about you. Thanks for the thread, Max.

And for crying out loud, there is no "a" in definitely. My personal beef lately. :P
And for crying out loud, there is no "a" in definitely. My personal beef lately. :P Originally Posted by tracibrooks
+1

There are only two "e"'s in separately.

There is no "e" in ridiculous.

"Whether" or not, it's not weather.

There is no "a" in independent.

Finally, the term is spelled "grammar", there's no "e" there either.

I had to do a triple take the other day just to figure out what the OP intended when they used the seldom seen interjection "whoa" in place of "woe".

I doubt that the principle offenders are even aware of their errors and certainly aren't going to take the time to read any wiki links no matter how succinct they are. I lived under the same roof with an English teacher for eighteen years,(instant grammar correction and walking spell check ) yet I still don't know all the rules and have forgotten more than a few.

That said, many of the errors I do see grate on my nerves, but there is very little one can do since the standard answer I get is "well, you figured out what I was writing (attempting to write), didn't you?"
There's "a rat" in separate is a very old trick I learned back in the one room school house.

Just like the old "i before e except after c, or when it sounds like "a" as in neighbor and weigh."

Now if folks can remember that you ADD things up but you post an AD when trying to sell something. Ad is short for advertisement. Add is short for addition. How freaking hard is that to remember?
  • hd
  • 06-16-2010, 02:46 PM
right on Max, I understand some of the shortcuts and abreviations people use when typing, but many of us are just down right grammer challenged!

Be nice if eccie could incorporate spell check.
The thing is...I'm no grammar expert! LOL That particular thing has just recently been popping up a lot it seems. Thought I'd share with those who wanted to brush up. If not, no worries! There are a whole lot more offensive things in life! Right?!

I guess we might all have a little something that we notice from time to time that we'd like to see corrected.
That particular thing has just recently been popping up a lot it seems. Thought I'd share with those who wanted to brush up. If not, no worries! There are a whole lot more offensive things in life! Right?!

I guess we might all have a little something that we notice from time to time that we'd like to see corrected. Originally Posted by M A X
Max, your so write! Seams like their are a lot of folks what don’t know spellin or grammer. I reed and right typo. They’re really goin two get a kick out of this. Butt there just goin to half two get over it. I learnt really good in skool. The principle toad me I was well learnt. I member gradiatin six grade. Those were a hard 12 years four sure. I was fixin to get a good job, butt them sayd I was over cawlifide.
Max, your so write! Seams like their are a lot of folks what don’t know spellin or grammer. I reed and right typo. They’re really goin two get a kick out of this. Butt there just goin to half two get over it. I learnt really good in skool. The principle toad me I was well learnt. I member gradiatin six grade. Those were a hard 12 years four sure. I was fixin to get a good job, butt them sayd I was over cawlifide. Originally Posted by am-a-pleaser
dam-gum-it, am-a-pleezer....that wood be cwalifide, not cawlifide....geez!
I would be forever grateful if someone, ANYONE, could help me figure out when to use the word, "then" and "than". It drives me nuts. I know that I get it wrong a lot.

Elisabeth
I would be forever grateful if someone, ANYONE, could help me figure out when to use the word, "then" and "than". It drives me nuts. I know that I get it wrong a lot.

Elisabeth Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers

Examples of Than: A comparison

• Even at the age of twelve she was taller than I.
  • She is a better singer than he.
  • Tillamook cheese is much better than Kraft.

Definition: Than

1. Used after a comparative adjective or adverb to introduce the second element or clause of an unequal comparison: She had better grammar than I.
  2. Used to introduce the second element after certain words indicating difference: He sang at a lower octave than she.
  3. When. Used especially after hardly and scarcely: I had hardly the energy to smile than I saw your face.

Examples of Then: A description of time

• I want to go to a restaurant then to the party.
  • I loved the movie French Kiss, but then, I love sappy movies.
  • Then, out of nowhere, she started to dance.

Definition: Then

1. At that time: Come over to my house, I'll show you then.
  2. Immediately following: First I will get a haircut, then I will get a manicure.
  3. In addition: She wanted $100 and then interest too.
  4. As a consequence; therefore: She wants to be a star, then, she does the work.
  5. In that case: If you want my money, take it then.
  6. Used after but to qualify or balance a preceding statement: He was a star, but then he always worked so hard.
  7. Used in "if...then" statements: If you study hard in high school then you can get into a good college.
I'd rather have MAX than Elisabeth Whispers than Traci Brooks. O shute, I'd take yall any order. 'member ladies, MAX sayd my wood is cwalifide.
EW, THEN is about time and THAN is about a difference.

MAXie, They're over there in their underwear.

They're is a contraction of "they are."

There indicates a place.

Their indicated some form of ownership.

English is a complicated language that is very exact and has almost twice as many words as any other language. It does not completely rely on context for the meaning of one word but, instead, has more words. Yes, yes, there are exceptions to every rule but, to paraphrase a local sportswriter: instead of "watch the damn game," substitute "learn the damn language!" LOL

Phonics is a joke.